Monday, October 25, 2010

Longing

[Editor's Note: I would like to thank you all for your warm support of my awesome (idiotic) artistic depictions. Don't worry... there's plenty more where that came from!!]

Sigh. My heart has been aching lately. Y'know what I really, really, DESPERATELY miss? Well, I was going to list one thing, but now that I think about it, there are really several things:

-Disneyland. Not a day goes by that Tim and I don't forlornly say to one another, "I miss Disneyland." I'm not kidding. Any time we hear Disney music, any time we watch Disney characters, any time we visit the Disney store, any time we think of trains or gorillas or holidays or parades or laughter or happiness, it always pulls our heartstrings in that Anaheim-ish direction. ... Well, in sort of a sad way, because we don't exactly have any concrete plans to vacation or return to CA (yet). Prior to leaving Pasadena, I had no way to anticipate that we would miss Disneyland THIS MUCH. It is so hard to be away from there.

-Cafe Rio. We fell in love with Cafe Rio during our ol' Utah days, so naturally I was ecstatic-beyond-reason when it came to California. However, Cafe Rio had been in California for a mere five months before Tim and I were whisked away to Heaven-Knows-Where, USA. I guess it was a huge blessing that I enjoyed a brief reprieve from my geographically-imposed Cafe Rio fast, but... still. I miss my Cafe Rio salad fiercely. (Not nearly as badly as Disneyland, though.)

-In-N-Out. Even though I wasn't a hardcore In-N-Out lover in California, I sure am now. I think I just took it for granted. It was always there; it's good, but so is Carl's Jr. Then, as our moving date approached last May, I realized how much I was going to miss their perfect, fresh burgers. And even more so, their MILKSHAKES. I have never had quite as delicious a milkshake as In-N-Out's in my LIFE. And now that In-N-Out is gone, I'm not sure I'll ever find a suitable replacement. Every time I think about California, I crave an In-N-Out chocolate milkshake. Craaaaaaaave.

And finally, the original purpose of this post...

-Trader Joe's. Okay, I miss Disneyland more than Trader Joe's even. But I REALLY MISS TRADER JOE'S. Prior to living in CA, I used to chuckle at all those crazy TJ's fanatics who would drive hours to buy their favorite products. One time, I met a lady in Hawaii who said that every time she visits the Mainland, she stocks up at Trader Joe's and lugs everything back in her suitcases.

But then I went to Trader Joe's. It took a few visits for it to capture me, but capture me it did. And of course, my TJ's bliss was short-lived. Nowadays, our pantry contains only a few, sad survivors of our pre-move stock-up: a container of animal crackers, a can of organic black bean soup, a jar of almond butter with flax, a bottle of organic mustard, and a bottle of Goddess salad dressing. That's it. That's all that remains now.

Every now and then, Tim and I will remember that joy that was Trader Joe's, and for a brief, fleeting moment, get a warm feeling inside. We'll say something like, "Remember orange chicken?" Or, "Remember Indian feast?" (That's where we'd buy a variety of Indian foods and chow down with some garlic naan.) Already, I'm starting to forget my favorite TJ's products. But here's a rundown of what I remember that I miss the most:

-Orange chicken (of course). It was $4.99, plentiful, and restaurant-quality.
-Tempura chicken. $5.99, I think, and again - really good.
-Frozen garlic naan. Heat it up in the oven and spread some melted garlic butter over it. Ohhhh heaven.
-Mini quiches. They were less than $2, and the crust was to die for.
-Asparagus risotto (also frozen). I could eat the whole bag.
-Chicken drumettes and Italian meatballs. These were staples for the kid.
-Mini 12-grain crackers. So yummy and just right for Weston.
-Basically, all the TJ's versions of name-brand crackers. They never disappoint.
-Animal crackers and "letter cookies." Yummy, and not overly sweet.
-Mini cheese cracker sandwiches. Weston loved these, but here we have to buy the Ritz version. Blah.
-Bulk chocolate. Sooooo luscious, sooooo cheap.
-Frozen pizzas. Awesome.
-Frozen fish. As a TJ's customer, I actually started buying fish regularly (salmon, mahi mahi, crab cakes, etc.). The thought of buying fish at Walmart makes me unhappy for some reason.
-Joe Joe's - the TJ's version of Oreos, yet SO much better. An employee told me once that it's because they use a real cream filling instead of lard. Now whenever I see Oreos (which I used to adore), I think of lard. Oh, and the Candy Cane Joe Joe's are even better. Those I will definitely find a way to get this holiday season. Somehow!!
-Frozen pie crust. Spectacular.
-Brie cheese. Brie, FYI, is ridiculously expensive at regular grocery stores. Tim and I would always buy it at either TJ's or Costco (if we thought we were going to eat an especially large amount). Neither place is here in Tulsa, so Brie is temporarily out of our diets. Although I really, really love it...
-The huge box of fresh basil. Buy it, and go nuts with basil.
-All the millions of trail mixes. At TJ's, trail mix never gets boring.
-Mac & cheese - totally cheap-o. Just like all the pastas, even if they're whole wheat and/or organic.
-Garlic basil linguine. Add some tomatoes, olive oil, and cheese, and you're in pasta heaven.
-Pesto tortellini and cheese ravioli. These bags were less than $2 each, but they made SO much, and Weston LOVED them. Our big stock-up supply of them (which now in retrospect seems small) is all gone.
-Baked cheese crunchies. I loved these, and I didn't feel like I was being quite so unhealthy (as if, say, I were eating Cheetos instead).
-Cereal bars, especially the fig. Really fruity and tasty, and not all full of HFCS like Nutra-Grain bars.
-Brown rice krispie treats. Not exactly healthy, but it's probably the only time that Weston has ingested brown rice.
-Sweet potato chips. Yum, and unique to boot.
-Yogurt. Fruit on the bottom, low-fat, AND missing the HCFS.
-Joe's O's - the TJ's Cheerios. Such a big box for so cheap.
-All the par-baked breads - especially the filone. Ohhhh I miss this. I have discovered an incredible boulangerie here in Tulsa, but still... it was really nice and convenient to have such delicious, fresh, hot, crusty bread for dinner.
-Hummus & pita chips. I don't even know where to find hummus at Walmart.
-The produce. There were certain types of produce that I would always buy at TJ's, but I'm forgetting now. I know I used to get tomatoes and bananas, and some pre-cut varieties like green beans (so fast and easy). And the edamame.
-Dried fruit, like dried cherries and the raisin mix. Mmmm.
-Mixed berry applesauce in convenient little cups. Weston looooved it.
-Canned artichokes - way cheap. Chop them up, throw them in pasta - done.

Well, I know there are other things that I'm forgetting, but that's what I could think of during this little brainstorm. AHH!! I'm forgetting!! NOOOOOOO!!!! So, I really miss Trader Joe's. All our food presently comes from Walmart and Target, so I feel like we're just eating a lot of boring, standard, name-brand chemical concoctions right now. All-natural... what's that? Organic... you hippie!! Sigh. I know, I could just do a better job of cooking with fresh, healthy ingredients. But TJ's absence is a major chink in the design of our nutrition/meal planning/household/lifestyles. And I really miss the unique products that it offers -- stuff you can't find anywhere else. Sniff sniff.

Trader Jooooooooeeeee's....................!

19 comments:

Abby said...

Jean, I'm so sorry!!! You can come live with us. :)

Okay, have I not given you the Cafe Rio knock-off recipe? It's so worth it. Look on The Sisters Cafe blog for the Shredded Sweet Pork salad. You will not be disappointed. If you went to Cafe Rio the very next day, yeah, you'd realize it wasn't the same -- but if you don't have one? This is an OH SO GOOD substitute!!

And...do I have your new address? Tiff and I can always send you Trader Joe's you know?! I am SO going to miss it one day. I was sucked exactly like you -- thought everyone else was crazy and even after the first couple visits I still wasn't quite sure. Not anymore...mmmm....Trader Joe's. Did you ever try their Chinese Sticky Buns?? I'm going to have to write your favorites down too because I haven't tried a lot of them. (And because I just might have an extra box lying around here...MAYBE!)

Love you girl! Hang in there!!!

Oh and on a Disney sidenote? Our 1st Counselor in our Bishopric looks like the Uncle in Mary Poppins! You know, "I love to laugh" guy? Yeah.

Abby said...

oops...I was sucked IN. Ack!! What a mistake....

daMawma said...

Check the discussion at this link: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/301770.
Somehow, though, your post looks suspiciously like a "Santa Gift List." (Hmmmm...)

chartie said...

We love Trader Joe's as well. Luckily there is one less than an hour away. Like you, we are big fans of the Orange Chicken, Garlic Naan, and Jo-Jos. We also like the mini peanut butter cups, soyaki sauce, and ginger chews (ok, that last one is just me).

Deidra said...

Who would have thought moving to the Midwest we'd be closer to TJ's? Then again, you can't get much farther from one than northern Utah. I took a couple in our ward to the airport last week and turned it into a TJ's run. Ahhhh! Too bad we'd already blown the grocery budget for the month-- but like that stopped me!

Lauren said...

We're right there with you, sister. Not only do we miss Disneyland, but my kids still ask for it at least once a week, and it just pains me. I think, "what have I done to my children?"
And although I miss In-n-Out more than I can bare to admit, I really do think Chik-Fil-A milkshakes are better, at least the vanilla is. The cookies 'n cream is really good, too. I think I just miss burgers in general- Tommy's, Top's, I can't speak for OK, but Texas doesn't really do burgers. It makes me sad to think how healthy my heart is getting. It's not worth it.

Liz Johnson said...

I have been to Trader Joe's once, so... ignorance is bliss, in my case. Is it actually cheap?? Because I've always been under the assumption that it's one of those fancy organic stores with expensive food.

I think the closest one to me is at least 2 hours away, though. Ignorance will probably remain bliss.

Do they have any of these things in SAINT LOUIS?????? :)

Dana Carlin said...

Liz- TJ's is way less expensive than Whole Foods and other organic/more healthy grocery stores. They just don't have as much variety as the bigger stores.

Jean- As you know, there's a TJ's here.....perhaps you should come home for Christmas and stock up? I'm just sayin....

Kendra said...

I feel the pain. Gratefully I still get to experience cafe rio, but I so miss trader joes too. :( one day Utah will see the light, right?

Kendra said...

Oh, and did you ever try their rice pudding? My evil indulgence was the chocolate covered espresso beans. Maybe it's a good thing I'm not by one.

Lesley said...

I am satisfied that Joe Joes make your list. But Candycane Joe Joes deserved their own bullet point, don't you think?

Did you ever try the cheese and chile tamales?

Back home we call TJ's "Trade Joys" because an Armenian stylist I worked for would always recommend TJ hair products to patrons, mistakenly calling it "Trade Joys". I loved that.

Anyway, I have given up hope myself. TJs still hasn't responded to my written request to build one in Houston.

Tell you what -- whoever gets one first, Houston or Tulsa, we will promise to send TJ care packages to the other, okay?

La La Land said...

You had me at Candy Cane Joe Joe's.

I agree with your whole, long, sad, post. :(

Oh, and you could be added to my list of things I can't get in Utah.

Rebecca said...

This isn't Trader Joe's related, but I think of you every time I see a Cafe Rio. :)

Headle said...

Ah, I just love your take on everything! I'm so sad though that you don't live close to Disneyland and Trader Joe's anymore.

I'm so sorry Jean! You are adorable and deserve Trader Joe's goodies whenever you want them. Why aren't they online yet? They would do sooo well selling online. This post could almost be a petition! :)

Abbie said...

Oh Jean, my heart is breaking for you. I think of you and Lesley every time I go to TJ's. And thank you for this list! To honor you, I will try everything on the list.

I hate moving and adjusting to new life and finding new things to be in love with. Go kiss your parking spot and washer and dryer. I love you!

Anne Marie said...

I wish I had seen this post before I mailed your Halloween package on Monday morning! Things to keep in mind for the next Gangy care package...

daMawma said...

For mail order trail mix, nuts, spices, candies, snacks, and dried fruit, go to www.nutsonline.com. I've used it for years and am loyal to their service. About twice a year, I order a big boxfull of stuff (carefully packaged in resealable one-pound bags). Their DRIED CRANBERRIES are superior to Craisins, and their whole cashews are giant. It's time again for holiday baking.

dietcokegrrl said...

Oh, I can so relate to this post. Which is why every time I think I'm okay with moving somewhere without and In-N-Out and/or Trader Joe's--I start to have a panic attack and realize I just can't do it.

I did have a master plan while I was in Utah this summer. My brother is there for work once a week and I convinced him to do my TJ's shopping and bring it with him. YES! Including frozen/refrigerated items. So yeah...a personal TJ's delivery service is pretty much the only way I can move someplace without a TJ's.

While the high cost of living definitely SUCKS in SoCal...ya gotta love the perks.

gunnfam said...

Amen sista. I miss ALL those things + the beach. Just yesterday I was complaining to Josh about missing California. And I found a market that is (kinda, sorta in a round about wayish) like TJ's. Only it's not. =(