Thursday, January 12, 2012

Have a Holly, Bloggy Christmas!!

Okay, I know it's January 12th already, but.... heck, I'm gonna say it!!!


MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!

(Imagine that it's blinking, and you hear bells in the background, and a distant "Ho Ho Ho!")

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas!  We usually head back to Pennsylvania for the holidays, so we weren't sure what to expect with our very first Family-Stay-Home Christmas.  Overall, it was really nice to skip the packing and flying, but not so nice to miss the families.  And I always thought it was the traveling that made me sick over the holidays, but... nope!  We all got strep anyway.  Haha!  I guess that's just how it goes.

Here are some of the highlights of Christmas 2011 at Team Anderson's:

-Baby Cole's FIRST Christmas!!!  You can't beat that.  Not that they care anything whatsoever about what's happening.  But they sure love wrapping paper.
-Having an actual exterior to decorate with Christmas lights.  We hung up some white lights along our carport and on a bush in the yard.  Sparkly + festive = awesome.
-Getting to enjoy a crackling fireplace on Christmas morning.  I LOVE that holiday season fireplace action.
-Santa was real this year.  Our sweet, believing child was SO excited for him to come.  We set out cookies and milk on Christmas Eve, and it took Weston until about midnight before he finally fell asleep.  And whaddya know... Santa DID come!  And ate the cookies!  And drank the milk!  And even left a NOTE to say thanks!  Weston sleeps upstairs, right above me and Tim, and it was so special to hear him thump out of bed, run towards the living room, and then bustle down the stairs to tell us, "Mommy!!  Santa came!!!!"
-Tim's office closed down for the entire week between Christmas and New Year's, which meant a WHOLE week of family fun.  It was awesome.  It reminded me of all the time we got with Daddy during our Disneyland trip.
-Christmas dinner upgrades this year: hot Lion House rolls, pecan pie from Kneaders, and homemade mashed potatoes.  (Sorry, boxed taters.  You're out from now on.)  Of course we had all the regulars -- turkey, stuffin', candied yams, green bean casserole, yada yada yada.
-And of course... getting to hang out with Tim's brother MARK (who sojourned with us before heading north to BYU-Idaho) and the ever-famous Chris and Adrienne!!!  We didn't get to see ALL of our family members, but we are grateful for the decent representation.

We loved Christmas SO much that we haven't even undecorated yet.  We refuse to let go.  Okay, okay, we just haven't gotten around to it yet.  But I think it can be attributed at least in part to a lingering feeling of Christmas spirit.

And now for the Team Anderson Christmas 2011 Photo Album!

Gotta do the Ward Christmas party!  See that hulking individual in the center?  I know he looks intimidating (haha), but don't worry.  That's our friend Tony, and he's probably the most humanoid-looking teddy bear that I've ever known.

Awww, look.  Two-thirds of my boys.

Santaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

Candy from Santa?  SCORE.

And then, of course, there's the gingerbread house decorating.

Watch the magic happen...

I think my favorite thing about our gingerbread house was how the Christmas Spirit barfed all over it:

And then there's the cookie-baking.  Weston decided that Santa should have M&M cookies this year:

And finally, the Big Day arrived!

This gift from Gangy and Grandalf was the first one that Weston opened (squeeee!):

Tiny Chubbles got some fun stuff, too...

...but he was, by far, most excited about the wrapping paper and the fireplace:

"How about a nice... football??"

The apron says "World's Greatest Dad," and there's Luke and Leia sitting at the table.  Hahahaha!!  Nice one, G&G!

This year, we let Weston choose presents for Mommy and Daddy all by himself.  I took him to the dollar store for Tim, and then Tim took him for me.  And guess what he picked out for me??  Blue plastic jewelry, and a headband with fake hair.  (I forgot to include this  above as a Christmas highlight.  This MADE MY DAY.)

Weston was excited about the big fella: a toy tool set.  (Yes, Santa shops at Costco.)

Overall, Weston made out pretty well.  I'm not sure, but I'm assuming that this is his happy dance.

I like how Cole's gifts are all bright yellow, red, green, and blue.

And we can't forget Christmas dinner!  The perfect end to a day of playing in our pajamas.


Oh, those Lion House rolls.  They're seriously making me hungry as I type this.

Finally, if you're celebrating Christmas in Utah, you've got to visit Temple Square.  What lights!!!

Here's most of our family.  Tim, Jean, and Captain America.

And here are three of the six Ander-kids: Tim, Chris, and Mark!

Isn't it be-yoo-tiful?

There were a number of "nativities from around the world" on display, so we wandered and ogled.



And of course Ms. Adrienne was in attendance, too.  Here are the newlyweds!!!  (They've been married for 5 months now, but I'm pretty sure that they qualify as newlyweds for a full year.  Don't ya think?)
Anyway, I miss the holidays already.  Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good Lion House roll!!!!

7 comments:

Liz Johnson said...

YAY!!!!!!!!!! Merry Christmas, indeed!!!!!

Also, Chris let the boys do that for me a few years ago, and I ended up with 5lbs of flour, 5lbs of sugar, Life cereal, and some rubber spatulas. Their reasoning: that's what mom always buys at the store, so she must like it. Hahahahaha. Made my day, too. :)

Headle said...

Jean, I love this update!!! What a fun and festive holiday at the Anderson home! I love everything--the warm cozy fire, the amazingly delicious food, the abundance of beautiful presents, the m&m cookies (one of my favorites, for sure!), the decorations and of course your new, fake hair! :)

You guys are SO much fun! And I think we should be able to say Merry Christmas 365 days/year.

Kira said...

Merry Christmas! Love all the pictures. So glad you had a great break! It is so funny what the kids pick out. Dawson once got me a blue peace sign necklace because he knows I love blue and necklaces (he is constantly asking me to wear it). And Kate picked out a talking princess mirror that gives me pep talks about how beautiful and lovely I am:) Once Kate is all better we need to get together and play!

daMawma said...

What a great Christmas recap! It is so exciting to watch a child's sense of wonder from all the lights, and gifts, and food. I remember such big undertakings on my part when you were little too. Loved all the photos, and so happy Tim got to be home for a whole week! Now, about that gingerbread house...did it get "blown up" on New Year's Eve?

nanamommy said...

hi~*
Ilove them...but
I know Christmas is not Truth.
not a jejus birthday.

James Cramer said...

Hey Tim and Jean, we all super-missed you this year but are also really excited that you had a great Christmas. The presents you got kind of reminds me of a Simpson's episode where Bart buys Mom a 5 lb. jug of perfum and is very proud of himself. Then Lisa says 'well if she likes it so much why didn't she put any on.' To which Marge replied 'The evening is already so special that if I put on the perfum it would make it too special which would actually make it less special.' So you know what you have to do right? Yup, wear the plastic blue necklace.

Abbie said...

guess where i'm spending christmas next year? your house! sorry but it's happening. tell weston to start shopping for fake aunt abbie.