Friday, December 5, 2008

The Tank Lives

Weston had his nine-month appointment yesterday, and he maintains his reign as The Tank:

Length: 31 inches (>97%)
Weight: 23 lbs 5 oz (90%)
Head: 49 cm (>97%)

The appointment went fine. He received a couple of immunizations, but I had his blue blankie ready, so after a couple of loud, quick cries, he smushed the blanket into his face and cuddled with it and was pretty much okay. Yay. Sad baby = sad mommy.

The pediatrician asked lots and lots of questions about his eating and sleeping and vision and hearing and language skills and mobility. He seems like he's doing well for the most part, but she was a teensy bit concerned that Weston isn't showing any effort or inclination towards crawling or pulling himself up. She said that if he is still having difficulty with these things in another 4-6 weeks, then he may need to come in for a developmental exam, where his motor skills and coordination are tested to see if there's a real problem.

So, immediately, I panicked and did lots of internet research. I learned the following four things:

(1) I usually surround him with toys, which is giving him little motivation to crawl.
(2) Tim and I often let him walk around the apartment holding on to our fingers, also giving him little motivation to explore other methods of locomotion.
(3) Quoth the Wide Wide World of Web: "Experts believe chubbier babies crawl later since it's harder to push up onto all fours and drag their extra body weight." The pediatrician also mentioned this. Haha! Awww, so sad. But makes sense.
(4) Again quoth the Web: "Researchers have found that the Back to Sleep Campaign -- which encourages parents to put their infants to sleep on their back to prevent SIDS -- may be causing delays in crawling." Yep. Weston ALWAYS sleeps on his back, and is extremely averse to being on his tummy. He always rolls over when I put him on his tummy.

So, in light of this update from the doctor, we are now initiating "Operation: Crawl, Baby, Crawl!" in our household. My plan is to get Weston on his tummy at least 10 times a day for at least a few minutes at a time, and to place toys or his blankie in front of him so that he can reach for it and try to get it. I'm also going to get down on the floor with him as much as possible, as well as lay him across my legs or on my chest so that he gets maximum tummy time. That's the plan! Hopefully it works and we can skip the developmental/motor skills exam. Crawl, baby, crawl!!

21 comments:

Jacob Sparks said...

Put the popcorn pile a little farther away...

He will be okay!

and FIRST !!!! HAHAH! TAKE THAT MOMS AROUND THE US!

Liz Johnson said...

Chris put cheerios all over the floor and that was enough to motivate Connor. But really... eh. Who cares. He has to get mobile at some point! I don't think he's delayed at all!

daMawma said...

Excellent ideas! Go into another room and sing to yourself. He will try to find you. It may not be a crawl...maybe a slither or an inchworm technique. It is ALL locomotion.

Wendi said...

Both my kids were slow at the physical milestones. They were easy-going content little folk who didn't feel the need to get moving. They both crawled around 11-12 mo and walked 16-17 mo. I wouldn't stress about it too much yet... though that is much easier said than done. :)

Headle said...

You two are sooo cute!! Crawl, baby, crawl...its just like you two to take something stressful and turn it into a fun adventure!!! With all of your positive reinforcement, he'll thrive his whole life :D

Lauren said...

So funny. All of your 4 points apply to my fat kids. I think I'm going to copy your plan of action. I'm so glad I read your blog today.
On the other hand, I really like that mine aren't mobile yet. I'm really scared for that to happen!

Nat said...

Just throwing this out there, but pediatricians overreact a bit...I mean, that's kind of their job. He'll be fine! Everybody learns to walk eventually, some babies skip crawling altogether. I think a lot of a baby's development depends on their temperament anyway. If they wanna do it, they'll do it. :)

La La Land said...

I totally agree with Nat. He'll crawl when he wants to crawl. Now, could you research the problem of your one-year old not eating solids?

dana said...

I just see it as, hey, the goal here is To Walk, right?
And you can tell he loves to do just that! So I'm sure he'll work it all out just fine :)

Brooke said...

two things:
First: your kid still weighs more than my now almost two year old.

Second: James walked before he crawled. Don't worry about it too much if he is "walking" while holding fingers.

Linsey said...

Some babies just take more time than others. Caleb didn't walk until almost 15 months and he is A-OK. Isaac crawled later too and then went directly to pulling up, standing alone and walking along the furniture, almost overnight. Definitely give him opportunities to wow you, but don't worry, he'll get there.

megan said...

he's so cute! and I hate the doctor too. hate it, hate it, hate it

good luck with the whole tummy time thing! hard to keep them on their tummies when they can roll right over

Abbie said...

Go Weston! Crawl! And I'm so proud of your growing skills. Look at you, big man.

Kristen said...

What a cute boy! He is growing so fast!

My kids took forever to walk and/or crawl! I'm sure he is right on! He is just so content! That is awesome!

Lisa said...

What a cutie your tank is :) And I'm with everyone else, don't worry unnecessarily. You can try things, but sometimes he's just not interested! And plus, how do they figure out that they're supposed to crawl anyways?

Emily said...

Sounds like you're on top of everything. It drives me crazy when dr.'s say stuff like "it's nothing to worry about quite yet" so what are you supposed to do then? Anyway, Weston sure is adorable! And always has adorable clothes on in his pictures might I add!

Emily said...

p.s. we at at Cafe Rio on our Thanksgiving trip to Utah and I thought of you and your post while back about driving to Vegas for Cafe Rio - well worth it!

Unknown said...

Hi!

Can you send your email address to smittenblogdesigns@gmail.com so we can get your prize to you? Congrats on winning!

Kate
smitten blog designs

sachia said...

I agree wholeheartedly with Nat, Dana and La La!!!! Do not stress, your kid is fantastic and will crawl fine. I love the blanket idea...good tip mama!

Gaskin Girl said...

I don't think you guys should worry at ALL. Lilly didn't crawl till about 13 months and Maggie didn't crawl till about 12 months. Whatever. If he's not crawling by age 2, you might want to worry, but I think he's TOTALLY fine. And he's SOOO cute, so he's just got everything going for him and what else really matters? :)

The Hyer Family said...

Don't worry! Don't let the MD scare you! I always hate that! He'll crawl and walk when he's ready...he's such a cute big boy...I love the pictures...Charlie is a tub too...love it!