Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Sometimes I Make an Effort.

Y'know what's hard about being a mom? (At the top of the list today, anyway?)  Coming up with activities.  And I mean actual, enriching, memory-making activities, as opposed to your child staring at an iPod or taking his 8,000th trip to Target; in other words, the kinds of things that all of your amazing, creative mom-friends organize for their kids seemingly all the time (and God bless you all for it).

If I can pat myself on the back for anything mom-related, it would probably be my insistence on having something planned for almost every single day.  I spend an embarrassing amount of time coordinating the daily kid-schedule (which takes place between the hours of 10 AM and 5 PM), such as researching local events, library storytimes, and free days at museums (...zoos, farms, aquariums, aviaries, arboretums...); checking prices at family fun centers (...swimming pools, bouncy places, bowling alleys, arcades, play areas...); coordinating play dates; and endlessly pondering what I might buy to justify a trip to Ikea for their supervised play area and free kid's lunch (next up is their $5.99 cake decorating set).

But what I struggle with is new ideas for stay-at-home activities.  Y'know that old saying, "Keeping up with the Joneses?"  Well, sometimes in my life it's more apt to say, "Keeping up with the Supermoms."  I am very talented at comparing my child-rearing to others, which leaves me feeling lame a lot of the time.  Honestly, I have pretty low standards when it comes to activities (and, at this point, Weston probably has pretty low expectations); he is thrilled, and I am mighty proud of myself, when there's something going on that doesn't involve staring at a glowing TV screen.  So, naturally, when I have bursts of inspiration (and motivation) to arrange fun, creative activities at home, I have to document it.  Not to make other people feel bad (believe me, this is NOT one of those "I suck" blog posts, and no one should feel like she has to "keep up" with anyone else, because truly, we are ALL Supermoms when you think about it!!), but to highlight the fact -- more for me than anyone else -- that a little effort can go a long way.

For instance: I've been meaning to start some sort of Valentine's Day tradition in our family (kid-wise, it's been a bit of a neglected holiday thus far).  So, the other night I made a little Valentine mailbox for Weston.  I used a mini mailbox and a Valentine photo frame kit (both in the dollar section at Target), and I'm putting a new Valentine card and a Hershey's kiss in there every day leading up to Valentine's Day.  Then on that day, he's going to get an extra-special treat (spoiler alert: it's a Little Debbie heart cake!).  Anyway, I am very proud of myself for instituting a little activity to celebrate V-day.


Another fun activity recently?  We opened the paint-your-own-dinosaurs kit that Kate and Jacob got for Weston for Christmas.  It was so fun to sit at the table, just me and Weston, and get our paint on!!!  He was very proud and pleased with his awesome creations:



Finally (and I'm super-extra-proud of this one): I let Weston play in chocolate pudding.  When I was a kid, my mom had to meet with my brother's first-grade teacher, and the teacher (obviously to keep me occupied) set up a tray with chocolate pudding for me to "finger paint."  I remember it being SO FUN!  So, the other morning I scooped out a couple of Snack Packs onto a cookie sheet and let Weston have at it.  At first he was pretty tentative, and he repeatedly reminded me that I would need to wipe off his hands afterwards:


Then he decided to have a little taste:


Eventually he let loose and embraced the messiness:


Aaaaand eventually he decided that "little tastes" were for the birds and that he could fit his whole chocolately finger into his mouth just as easily:


It was a great time!!  These little activities remind me that if I just stop and think, or look around, or take advantage of the great ideas on my mom-friends' blogs (instead of sulk and feel lame), then I can come up with some pretty fun things to do.  I'm hoping that these will make for very fond memories for Weston!!!  (Or, at least, that he'll know that every now and then I did turn off the TV in favor of something a little more interesting.)

13 comments:

Lauren said...

I'm totally with you. At-home activities are so hard to come up with! But those look really fun and that mailbox is adorable!!

Wendi said...

Wow Jean! I am impressed that you plan a kid activity every day. That is awesome. I am definitely not good at doing that. It looks like Weston had a great time!

Headle said...

Jean-you are AMAZING at planning fun activities!! I'm always so inspired when I see all the fun things you take the kids out to do around town. Your research pays off and you always find amazing deals too. I didn't know about the free Hogle Zoo day and so many other things you come up with! I always LOVE it when you post your finds with us!! :)

And your mailbox idea is awesome too--what a fun little treat for Weston to look forward to everyday. You are so creative Jean! Most importantly, you are so full of LOVE!! I'm so so grateful for your example in my life. :)

Kendra said...

Wow. I think the fact that you plan a kid activity outside your home every day is a big deal. And way to go with the in-home activities. I think I'm a much lazier mom than you. My poor child will think that hanging out at home and play dates are the only options out there. Poor Owen...

Tiff said...

I try to get my girls outside for at least 1/2 an hour every day - but that's kind of a SoCal perk. I find, however, the Vitamin D does me just as much good as it does them.

You know, I used to stress about finding things to do for my girls all the time, and then I realized that sometimes even just sitting down and playing with them and their toys was PLENTY and they love that the most. Also, buying Candyland and Cooties and Don't Break the Ice means for a fun activity with Mom without having to put the creative thought into it. Mali could play board games with me for hours, and it's far more guiltless than the video games. ;)

You're a good Mommy, Jean. And your mailbox is adorable.

... and I want to lick that pan.

Liz Johnson said...

Amen. Planning activities is exhausting. I like to think that I'm "encouraging independent play" by shutting them in their room for an afternoon.

If it makes you feel any better, I read in a homeschool book that a lot of homeschooling activities for preschool involve sticking your kid on starfall.com, sheppardsoftware.com, and pbskids.org. Now I just stick my kids on the computer and pretend I'm "homeschooling" them. Ha! Win-win-win.

James Cramer said...

Hey Jean,

I was very impressed with the 'paint your own dinosaur' kit that Weston got for Christmas. For next years Christmas present I want to give something activity based that you can use for one of your day projects for the kids to do.

Anne Marie said...

These are great "beginner" activities, Jean. But as the boys get a little bigger, you might want to set up a little sweatshop in your home and make some money off the little curtain climbers. Yeah, just like I done to Tim and his brothers. Don't judge me.

Abbie said...

I was just telling Forrest that I should write the Lazy Woman's Guide to Motherhood/Homeschool because most of our activities come about by Eli's brain. I do very little for the activity part of our day (because I'm so exhausted after the teaching part of the day!) I think it gets a lot easier as they get older because they can do so much more on their own and create more (and be ignored more...).

I love how you wrote this post because I related but I never felt bad for you or like you were kicking yourself. That is some find writing.

Now please come be my neighbor because i love your freaking guts! Thanks you.

daMawma said...

The next time I eat out, I may request that my pudding be served on a cookie sheet. Maybe my spaghetti too!

Blessings to all those Blogger Moms, and the great way you all support each other.

hilary w said...

I love this post because I'm sure so many of us feel this way! Pinterest/blogs/etc make me feel like a total failure when I don't have some cute craft or activity planned every day. And, honestly, I don't even enjoy doing those things with my kids half the time! I'm glad there are other moms out there like me! :)

Lalee Photography said...

Jean, you are SUCH a good mom! I was just talking to a friend the other day saying how I always feel like such a slacker reading about all your fun activities you do with your kiddos. Fin and I ate chocolate for Valentine's Day. Lol :) We did a very good job at it too!

Btw - I'm totally letting Fin play in pudding now. That is ridiculously awesome!!!

Unknown said...

When you encounter difficulties, efforts are essential things can become better. need the effort and what you can do in your ability friv 7