Thursday, October 4, 2007

I Love Soup and Whoopie Pies and Helicopters

This past week while Tim was chugging along with his arty classes and homework assignments, I traveled to Austin, Texas, for work, and I got to ride in a helicopter for the first (and unfortunately probably last) time!!! It was crazy awesome!!! We were consulting on a huge, 10,000-acre property outside of the city, and our clients figured that the best way to get the gist of the landscape would be to fly. It was so exciting to get in and get buckled and put on the really heavy headphones with the little microphone. And then we took off! It was fast at first, but it also felt really light and weightless, which I wasn't expecting. We soared over the countryside for about ten minutes, and then touched down again. I was instructed when I exited to "step out and walk to the front of the helicopter," because apparently there's a propeller on the back that can get ya if you're not careful. It was wild! Here are some photos:

Jean's rearin' to go!

And we're off!

See the shadow of the helicopter on the river?

The lovely Texas countryside.

Another stretch of river.

What a pro!

Thanks for the ride, mister!

So, the helicopter ride was certainly the highlight of my trip, but I also got the opportunity to eat at Cracker Barrel, which is among my top 5 favorite restaurants. (Hashbrown casserole... fried apples... biscuits... heavenly!) It was good times.

Then, since Tim and I felt like we'd seen little of each other lately, we decided to have a date-night-in on Saturday, where we baked whoopie pies (shout-out to the PA Dutch) and played Scene-It 2nd Edition, which we just purchased. It was fun! Tim won the game (just barely!), but I kept my pride that evening, as explained in the photos below:



Look at him in his Megatron t-shirt, all covered in whoopie batter, hahaha. He is so adorable. (And I promise that he's actually a very responsible, professional person when he's at school.)

Nothing new to report with Tadpole-Leonard... two more weeks until we find out if it's a boy, girl, giraffe, or robot. My below-belly-button area is still growing, slowly but surely (meaning that I love stretchy pants right now), and I promise I'll post a picture as soon as I have that cute, bonafide pregnant belly. My most pronounced pregnancy craving thus far has been soup, which is a really strange craving, given that it comes in so many different flavors and textures and varieties. Mostly I love Chicken & Stars and Italian Wedding soup. They're just so warm and yummy. I've also been craving fruits and veggies, especially tomatoes. And I just called Tim at work to ask him to bring home some pre-cooked ham that I can put into the new organic macaroni and cheese that I bought the other day. That just sounds SO GOOD to me right now... Am I weird? I think I'm weird.

8 comments:

Lisa said...

What a beautiful view from that helicopter! You are the queen of coolness with those headphones :)

It was the warmness that attracted me to soup earlier in my pregnancy--I also thought it was weird that strong flavors would make me nauseous but I for some reason really wanted French Onion Soup. Oh well.

Lesley said...

I really thought I was the only one with a strange soup craving during pregnancy. Hm.

Please post the whoopie pie recipe. Or make me one and sent it to me.

Anonymous said...

Jean, you and Tim have a most impressive list of homies! And I applaud the creativity of having your restricted blog "ssmap" as I think moms-to-be need a private place to air their hopes and fears. When are YOU going to start posing with a cardboard sign indicating your pregnancy week?
-daGrannyMawma

dana said...

You know, I think your "healthy" cravings are actually normal and great! Our bodies are totally amazing that way. The first 5 months or so of pregnancy, I seriously wanted to eat whole pieces of fruit, whole grains, yogurt...and you know, healthy stuff. Don't get me wrong, I had an urge for Krispie Kreme here and there too. Oh, and I craved Ramen Noodles (not that those are healthy like soup....but fun that they cost $.10). So I'm glad you've been on a soup kick!
And I'm totally jealous of your helicopter adventure. How exciting! I'd love to do that one day. And the Austin Country-side looks beautiful. That's one thing I remember about Texas...it's really green (well, parts of it are).
I've never had a whoopie pie. Am I missing out??

dietcokegrrl said...

I am so jealous about the helicopter ride! I've always wanted to take one. I actually have a funny story about my former boss and a helicopter ride...remind me to tell you in person because it's too long to type out in the comments.

I have never been to Cracker Barrel, but it sounds like my kinds of place. yummy!

OK--and what are whoopie pies?? I must know!

Headle said...

Jean--You are just too cute! You are simply precious! :) I'm SO lucky to be your friend! And Tim was such a great friend to us too. We miss you guys so much!

Brooke said...

All I could eat in the beginning of my pregnancy was mac and cheese and corn chips with cheese on them. I always wanted cheese...

chartie said...

This Italian Wedding Soup? That's nasty!