Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Favorites

Lately I've come to realize that Weston, though yet a wee infant, has several Favorite Things that appear to represent the highlights of his young life:

(1) His best friend, The Window;
(2) Mama's special recipe Creamilk;
(3) Warm and cozy chest-naps on Dad;
(4) Anything that provides jigglement (the front carrier, stroller rides, car rides, roller coasters, etc.); and
(5) The sweet, satisfying relief of a good burp (spit-up optional).

It's great being able to feel like we're getting to know The Tadpole a little bit better these days. He smiles more and more each day, and also seems to have longer periods of environmental engagement (as opposed to sleeping or blank staring... although he still enjoys these activities too). So, on that note, my favorite thing right now is (yes, you guessed it) my little Tadpole! Here are some of my other current Favorite Things:

(1) SLEEP. Well, sleep has always been a highlight of my existence, ever since day one. However, a good stretch of sleep is now especially delightful. Weston actually went 7.5 hours between feedings the other night, which was astounding!! He has since regressed back to the 4- or 5-hour stretches between feedings, which means a couple nighttime naps for Mommy and Daddy of about 2.5 to 3 hours each. (Whoopee.) Hopefully our periods of slumber will once again increase to a blissful 4 or 5 hours.

(2) Ben & Jerry's. I rightfully consider myself a Ben & Jerry's conoisseuse, given that I have sampled almost every one of their pint flavors, that I am a certified Chunk Spelunker, and that I have in the past received a lovely collection of B&J paraphenalia (direct from Vermont!) due to my unwavering devotion and impressive kiss-up poster-making. The 2008 flavors just came out, and I've tried all but one of them so far (with the last remaining flavor resting peacefully in the freezer as we speak). I highly recommend the Imagine Whirled Peace variety. Yay Ben & Jerry's!

(3) Disneyland!!! Tim and I haven't been to Disneyland since having a baby, and we are pee-our-pants ecstatic to pick up a couple more annual passes and start going again. It'll be a whole new thing with The Tadpole (dealing with feedings, cryings, ride restrictions, general crowd frustrations, etc.), but we adore Disneyland and are thrilled to introduce Weston to it. I'm especially excited because I can go on all the rides again!! (Assuming that Tim takes the baby... after all, the baby's the one who kept me off the coasters in the first place, heh heh... but at least he's detachable now). Love it love it love it.

Tim has been constantly busy and phenomenally sleep-deprived this week with final homework assignments (term ends next week), so I'll spare him the bother of compiling his favorite things, and just go ahead and do it myself. They'd probably sound something like this: Captain Duckie Bum (aka baby), pizza, Carl's Jr. Six Dollar burgers, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, HD & surround sound, Disneyland, and of course, Syd Mead. There are probably many others that I'm missing, but those are the things that come to mind first. :-) What a swell guy I have.

Anywho, even though I've already written a pretty piece here, I'll go ahead and post some pictures as well, in order to try to temporarily appease my reader demographic that I like to call The Insatiables (Mom and Uncle Joe, I'm looking in your direction). So, here are a few photos from the past week or so:

Cuddle time with the little guy! (I find my boys to both be so adorable.)
Weston in his dashing overalls and wee sneakers:
Ahh, hold tight, Tim, he's going to fly away!!
Weston's first trip to a Working Title Club meeting at Art Center:
Father and son look one in the same here...
Tak and Jacob get acquainted with The Tadpole:
Jean taking a picture of herself in front of her desk, given that she is the family photographer and no one ever takes pictures of her unless she forces them or sets the automatic timer:
Okay, okay, I'll ease up on the camera bitterness and simply admire a darn cute baby!!

7 comments:

daMawma said...

Hooray! Mom gets relief from her "Weston withdrawal" symptoms. (Uncle Joe can speak for himself.)

Liz Johnson said...

That taking flight picture is HILARIOUS. I love it! He is so cute. I'm glad that The Window was so welcoming and able to be his best friend.

You guys look great. I love hearing all your updates. May you get much more sleep soon.

What's your all-time favorite B&J flavor??

Jean said...

All-time favorite B&J flavor:

Chubby Hubby!

(Previous favorites include Phish Food, Oatmeal Cookie Chunk, S'mores, and Triple Caramel Chunk. Still love 'em.) :-)

Tiff said...

PHISH FOOD! THE BEST!!!!!!!

Ok, so 7.5 hours. WOW! How awesome for you guys... but a tease, am I right? Made the wonderful 4-5 hour stretches seem painful, eh?

OK - so can we plan a trip to the D-land? Can we? CAN WE?!! if we actually plan one, maybe we can talk David into taking a day off! He said he would before the summers go black for us.... so let's do it!

PLEEEEEEEEEEAASSSSSSEEEE?????????

(BTW - Jean.... you look amnazing),

dana said...

I like the favorites! and I DO hope he converts back to his 7.5 hour sleep sessions. Owen has regressed to TWO hours. AHHH!! but he's been sick. I think it's a fluke.

Lesley said...

I love your posts. And Weston makes for great material. He is a very cute kiddo, and I LOVE his overalls and tennis-shoes. He looks ready for preschool in that outfit.

Weston is now detachable. I love it. I remember really enjoying that myself.

Headle said...

Jean!! You look SO BEAUTIFUL!!!!

I also LOVE the pictures of Tim and Weston at art school!! You can tell it won't be long before Weston is sketching right along side his daddy!! :D SO CUTE!!

Disneyland--HOW FUN!!! I've actually never been there which is pretty funny considering I am a huge Disney fan!! Maybe someday?! In the meantime, I'll enjoy it vicariously through your blog :)