Sunday, June 1, 2008

Ode to Dots

Prior to my and Tim's move to Southern California, I was unfamiliar with the institution and craze of gourmet cupcakes. Then I discovered Dots on Arroyo Parkway. This trendy little bakeshop produces the most delicious cupcakes that I have ever tasted in my life. They are so delectably moist and rich that they practically melt in your mouth. They come in a variety of tasty flavors, and they are carefully decorated with sweet, smooth frosting and small, sugary garnishes. Plus, the little shop is totally adorable - there are a couple of window stools, and the cupcakes are stored in a very charming, honeycomb-style display. The only downside? They cost $2.75 each! (Needless to say, a trip to Dots is a very special, only occasional activity for Jean and Tim, heh heh.) Oh, and there's one other downside too - the cupcakes disappear MUCH too quickly once they get home. :-)

I went to Dots on Saturday morning to pick up some cupcakes, and was reminded of how fabulous and absolutely delectable they are. (It's no surprise that they have a purchase limit of a dozen on the weekends.) I bought four, and you'll notice that by the time I took a picture, there were only three cupcakes remaining. I'd already devoured my strawberry shortcake cupcake, which contained real strawberry chunks (and you know how I feel about strawberries). The other three include a vanilla/vanilla, an apple pie, and a "hostess." The "hostess" was my other chosen cupcake, which I devoured that evening. It was especially delicious because it had a secret surprise of white cream in the center. Yum!

Anyway, my obsession with Dots has been renewed since my visit on Saturday. However, I have not yet tried Sprinkles in Beverly Hills, which everyone (and I mean everyone) claims to have the best cupcakes in the entire world. That'll be an adventure for another day!

Finally, I'll include a picture of Weston, so that my mom doesn't get mad. If only I could somehow make a Weston cupcake... I would call it the Arctic Smunch Cupcake (my new nickname for him), and I would totally gobble it up. :-)

8 comments:

dietcokegrrl said...

OK--I keep hearing how fabulous DOTS is too. It's literally two blocks from my house, so you would think I would have tried it out by now.

Maybe this week...

Cute picture of Weston, as always!

daMawma said...

Yesssssssss, I totally appreciate the "Weston-fix" picture. That should hold me for about another week. I enjoy checking out his outfits too. -Mawma

Liz Johnson said...

Mmmmm cupcakes. You should do a blind taste-test between Sprinkles and Dots and post the results on here.

Weston is SO BIG. I can't believe it!! He is so cute!

And I love the card in the background. :)

chartie said...

I thought this might be about the gummi candy Dots. I love those things! Can't say I've tried the cupcakes, though.

Headle said...

Those cupcakes look incredible! They are so delicate and pretty. I'm very impressed!

hilary w said...

Oooo...those look yummy! I need to find me a bakery like that!

Lisa said...

I have never had a gourmet cupcake, but I'm a believer now. YUM!!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe how BIG Weston is getting! He's such a cute-heart (combo of cutie and sweet-heart. Or maybe his heart is really cute!)

The Facks of Life said...

We need to take a beach trip to Newport Beach soon and stop by the sprinkles there. They are the best!