Thursday, May 27, 2010

Back on the Wagon

I feel like I'm slowly but surely climbing back on the wagon here in Tulsa. No, I didn't go through a period of villainy, larceny, skullduggery, and persnickety, only to find my way back to to the good road. But I am starting to feel like life is getting back to normal, at least a little bit, thanks to the fact that I finally have some regular, scheduled activities on the calendar. Geez, when we were in California, I feel like there were things going on all the time: park days, weekly Parent Ed, library storytime, music classes, museum free days, etc., not to mention the readily available Disneyland. That was really awesome. So, it's been an unwelcome adjustment to go from having lots of activities on the calendar to having NONE. But like I said, we're starting to climb back on the wagon. For instance:

*Church!* We went to our new church on Sunday (well, same church, new ward). As we expected, it is chock-full of really friendly, wonderful people, many of whom welcomed us and introduced themselves. However, I admit, we will miss the big, tall, bright windows that lined the chapel of our old building in CA, because this new building doesn't have any windows in there. On the other hand, the nursery here has a peephole, and I'm really loving being able to peek at Weston after Sunday School to see how he's doing (wandering around the room aimlessly, as it turns out). It seems like there's a good group of young couples with little kids here (I say "young", even though we're nearly 30, haha), and I know I'm going to enjoy getting to know them better. (That's a process that I go about very tentatively, because I get really shy sometimes, and inadventently become anti-social. I'm working on that.)

*Playgroup!* I heard tell of the weekly playgroup at the park, so of course Weston and I went, because even though everyone was obligated to be nice to us on our first Sunday at church, that second get-together is crucial because I needed to prove myself to the other moms as a worthy new friend. (Or is all that just in my head? Haha!) I got all cute-looking, and then nearly sweated myself to death because it was so hot outside. (It's hot here.) Even so, I was having a great time chatting with the other moms, and of course that was when Weston decided that he did NOT want me to be social and instead wanted me to follow him along poison-ivyed trails through the woods in my little black slides and with a massive diaper bag weighing down my shoulder. Yeah... note to self: wear sneakers and non-cute clothes at Hunter Park, and leave the bag in the car, because there are trails and Weston will want to get his wilderness on. And don't expect to get much social time. Even though my child is my ticket to new friendships, he is also ironically my greatest obstacle. Anyway, it all turned out fine, because I did get to visit and laugh with the other girls for a little while, and I also got to eat mulberries for the first time in my life, thanks to a friendly stranger who pointed them out to us during our impromptu hike.

*Storytime!* We hit a toddler storytime this week, and will continue to do so (I loooooove the library). Okay, there are pro's and con's. Pro: our new local library is FLIPPIN' AWESOME. It has a HUGE children's area with little chairs, puzzles, a wonky mirror, and a storytime room lined by massive artificial trees and with huge murals of animals (Weston kept pointing out all the animals... he was also very excited). Con: it's not within walking distance (but that's a rarity - it's kind of just a city thing); and con: it doesn't have Miss Tanya. The storytime itself was... well... mediocre, but that's because there was a substitute, so I can't really make an accurate judgment. But, I am REALLY excited about the physical space itself. AMAZING. And while I was there, I also signed up for Tulsa Library's Summer Reading Program, which had a "Storytime in the Park" event this morning. As it turns out, this park also had a big playground and water play area, and my favorite part was when Weston (fully clothed, because Jean did not pack a bathing suit, since Jean did not know that there was water play) squatted down on top of a water spout so that it could continually spray his bum. It brought him great joy. (The Tulsa Library should include THAT on their list of reasons to get involved with the library: water sprays to the bum for ALL!!)

So, hooray for getting back to scheduled activities! Next up: find a preschool program for Weston -- just one day per week for 2-3 hours. (Really, I just want something like regular weekly babysitting. I need some Jean time, and Tim said it's okay, so I'm being selfish and looking into it.) And after that: get Weston signed up for some sort of summer class. Swimming? Music? Twang for Tots? (so he can blend). I don't know. And after that: keep trying to make friends so that we can have some playdates!

Speaking of Twang for Tots, living in the South is funny. (Is Oklahoma the south, or the midwest? Or the south-midwest? Or the somidwestuth? Please confirm.) Here are three things that I never thought I'd see:

-Armadillo roadkill.
-Churches as big as community colleges.
-A sign on a local pizza place/fun center that says, "Trust in the Lord with all thy heart, Proverbs 3:5". (Not that there's anything wrong with that... it would just be very surprising to see something like that in LA! Hahaha!)

And before I sign off, I would just like to award HUGE bonus points to Lisa and Liz, who both pointed out (in their great motherly wisdom) the wondrous benefit of having a washer/dryer for those vomit-in-the-crib moments. Because, incidentally, we DID have a massive vomit-in-the-crib moment on Sunday, and we WERE able to just toss everything right into the washer and get him into the tub and then back down for a nap within about 7 minutes. Oh my joy. I was so happy about it that I bought roses for the washer/dryer the next day, and then baked a chocolate cake and put it in the washer and turned it on High. So, bring on the vomit, Weston. Bring it. And thank you again, Washer/Dryer. I love you. You're welcome for the cake. :-)

14 comments:

Lisa said...

Hahaha, sorry, I probably jinxed you :) But it does make barfing a little more bearable when you have a washer and dryer.

Okay, so your "off the wagon" is me all the TIME. I need to be more like Jean, especially because I'm getting kinda bored around here while John works. And now that I'm quitting teaching, I'm like, "Sooooooooooo, what do people do all day??" I thought I'd just get into it, but not so much. For me, I find myself hiding out at home because of my little tantruming 2-year-old. Maybe I think I'm going to quarantine us until he's perfectly behaved? Anyways. I guess I'm just rambling now.

So my point was--you're my hero! And armadillo roadkill--yeah, never thought I'd see that one either.

The Hunt House said...

Hilarious! Man the midwest is FUNNY! I would love to try living there for awhile. I think it would be really fun an interesting. I am going through the same thing STILL in trying to fill up my days. Owen starts preschool in the fall so that will help but there aren't many play dates up here in Auburn. And my kids suddenly are not interested in story time. So we frequent a lot of parks. And I'm grateful for a yard. Hope life gets busy soon.

Liz Johnson said...

I think you're in the South. Because you're by Texas and it's hot and people have accents. And also they are overtly religious. Yes, south. Although if you want to be in the Midwest, I'd be happy to claim you as such, because then we'd be regional peeps, and that would bring me unparalleled joy.

I hope your washer enjoyed the cake. I never thought to thank my washer in such a fashion. I wonder if it prefers chocolate or rainbow chip!?

Getting some Jean Time is not selfish. Don't you think that for a second. That's called "recharging the motherhood battery so that it doesn't die between bathtime and bedtime, thus enabling the survival and perpetuation of the species."

The Hyer Family said...

I think moving is so lonely! I know exactly how you feel! I was so lonely for months when we first moved to Glendora. I was so used to having 5 choices to choose from on any given morning, to knowing no one and nothing about my new local. It has certainly changed, and I LOVE it here, but it sure was lonely for a while. I had 2 kids and was pregs with the 3rd, and felt like these kids were counting on me to keep them entertained everyday, and I had nothing to offer them...you have a great attitude, and the those ladies will be blessed to soon call you friend!

dietcokegrrl said...

Glad you're getting into the swing of things...and looking into having some "Jean Time".

Nothing wrong with that...nothing at all. :)

Headle said...

Jean!!!

I love how you are getting out and making opportunities for yourself, even though its out of your comfort zone. You will adjust so much faster because of the effort you are making to get out and get to know your ward! Who doesn't just love you the instant they meet you? Everyone does!

Your impromptu walk through the woods was so sweet! I think its really cute that you humored Weston and went along with his curiosity. I think a few years down the road when he reads this entry, he'll be so proud to have such a cool Mom. You really are!

I LOVE your updates!!! Seriously, its so fun to read about your new adventures!

Lalee Photography said...

OK, when have you ever been shy and anti-social?! LIES!! You are the friendliest person ever! Trust me, all you have to do is laugh, and all the other moms will flock to be your friend - 'cus you have the best laugh EVER.

You are such a good mom getting all involved in all those fun time activities for Weston! I can't wait until you post more pictures of Oklahoma! Maybe you can make a video of people speaking with their somidwestuth accents. I wanna hear!! :)

daMawma said...

You need to do more to thank your washer/dryer. How about rigging up a sound system so that Beethoven's "Ode to Joy" begins playing every time you open the laundry room door?
I enjoyed the story of Weston's squatting over the water spout...he's a purist.

Abbie said...

I'm so glad you're back into your routine!

I was chatting with a dad at preschool the other day and he said that he read somewhere (great fact source, right?) that moving is second to divorce in stress. What? I know. He said it's something about making you feel discombobulated and then the huge change. Crazy. Anyway, I'm glad you're getting back into things. It makes a huge difference.

AND your going to make so many friends so fast. Hello! You're Jean. No wandering Weston can distract the ladies from knowing how cool you are.

I think I might send cookies to your washer and dryer.

PS you are so freaking funny! I love you!

B Brown said...

I hope you find a wonderful pre-school for some much needed mommy-alone time. We're already ready for a visit, so just holler when you need your Disney fix!

James Cramer said...

Hey Jean,

I'm glad you had fun at the library, it is nice to know there is 'water sprays to the bum for ALL!!' How come when I go to the library nobody sprays my bum with water? Jeezz.

Lauren said...

Jean, you crack me up. I agree that you're in the south. Midwest is the similar to the south (nice, religious people) but it's cold for 11 out of the 12 months. The South is hot for 11 out of the 12 months, and they say "y'all" and "ma'am." And, they have Blue Bell ice cream. Have you tried it yet? I'd like to see a post about that, please. We've just discovered the popsicles. Mmmmmm

Fig said...

Hey! It's Christy of the formal-Tulsan email conversation. I finally got some time to check out your adventures in what I like to think of as the Midwestern South. 'Cause really, it's both. I think technically it's part of the Midwestern geographical region, but in food, people, heat/humidity, and religion, it's TOTALLY Southern.

I hope you'll like it. I love that you were pleasantly surprised by Green Country - the gorgeous greenness is my absolute favorite thing about Tulsa. Oh, and score on discovering the awesome libraries already! That's something I'd forgotten to tell you about.

Also, "Serenity" is one of my favorite movies, ever, and of course you know how I feel about Razz Matazz. So SCORE on the new car!

dana said...

hello, hello, hello!
Sorry for the lack of comments. I've been following your chain of events though and CONGRATS on the big move!!! How exciting! We know your woes (and excitements) for leaving the big city and moving to middle America. We really love being in Texas and feel like we enjoy Calif even more now when we go to visit.

Congrats on the new car! Congrats on the new job! Congrats on a new adventure! We're excited for you guys. If you ever need a familiar face, we have an open door about 4 to 5 hours south of you.:) I'll let you know when Cafe Rio opens here, then we'll really have knocking at our front door (sorry, it's not really coming, but In N Out is coming to Dallas!)

Anyway, just wanted to say hi and I hope you're adjusting well already!