Thursday, May 6, 2010

Good Things

With the Big Move approaching, we've fortunately been able to do a lot of fun things lately. Here are a few of them, plus some words of warning:

#1

My boss actually had some work for me to do in Orange County, so after I finished in Newport Coast, I drove up to Balboa Island:
... and I bought a frozen banana (oh my Bluths):
... and I ate it in the car.
(Warning: Despite the food-on-a-stick convenience, the frozen banana is not as car-friendly a food as you might think.)

#2

I finally took Weston to Paintbox Kids, an art studio for children that, incidentally, is about 2 minutes from my house:
There was a huge array of supplies:
... and lots of space to hunker down and get artsy:
... plus some cute toddler creativity at work:
(Warning: With the art-themed birthday parties and the Lego building workshops and the lightsaber lessons, this place is AMAZING... if your child is about 4 or older. Since Weston has the attention span of a commercial, he didn't last very long. But I still love this place.)

#3

Tim and I finally went to Julienne (thanks to Erika, one of Weston's teenage girlfriends/babysitters). We headed out early to a rummage sale, and then made up for our thriftiness by enjoying an extravagant gourmet breakfast at Julienne ($48 for two... and that's WITHOUT cappuccinos or mimosas!).

(Not my picture. I tried to blend with the high-end clientele by leaving my camera -- and my 25-cent rummage sale spoils -- in the car.)
I highly recommend it, but then again, everyone does because it's intrinsically fabulous. We started with a "lemon creme brulee scone," and then Tim ordered the "baked creme brulee French toast with fresh strawberry sauce and creme anglaise," and I ordered the "green omelette with asparagus, broccoli, spinach, scallions, chives, and feta topped with avocado and Gudelio's roasted pepper salsa, served with rosemary roasted potatoes" (and also with their famous rosemary currant toast). Mmmm. So worth the $48.

(Warning: You WILL stuff yourself at this restaurant. My omelette was massive, and with the potatoes and toast to boot, it was definitely unfinishable. Similarly, Tim's French toast was the hugest, sweetest, most ridiculously wonderful dessert-for-breakfast that I've ever seen.)

#4

I finally took Weston to Pretend City. WOW!!! This place is pretty much every preschooler's/kindergartener's dream come true -- a whole mini-town just for them:








(Warning: Your child will NOT want to leave.)

(Warning #2: Even though there are smocks at the marina area, shown above, your child WILL get soaked. Bring a change of clothes!)

#5

Good Things Tulsa: I've also been doing my research and learning more about my future home. For instance...

-The Woodland Hills mall (the biggest mall in Oklahoma, they are proud to say) has a play area, a carousel, and a Chick-Fil-A. Therefore, you can likely expect to see me and Weston there every day around noon.

-Tulsa has a supposedly fantastic Farmer's Market (oh, the relief that this brings).

-Tulsa, I have been informed, has one of my favorite restaurants that I have been desperately missing: Cracker Barrel. (Thanks Mom!)

-Tulsa also has a Kohl's, an IMAX theater (who knew?), and a host of bakeries and restaurants that are supposedly pretty darn tasty.

-Tulsa (yes, Tulsa) even has a little gourmet cupcake shop now. So, of course I will be doing an official taste test in the near future.

-I've also recently discovered two great websites: a Tulsa food blog and a Tulsa events blog. Yay!

I think I'm starting to like Tulsa. (Does that make me a slut?)

10 comments:

Tiff said...

*moment of silence for the Bluths*

(on a side note: Please come to SoCal when the A.D. movie comes out so you can double date with us...)

I have GOT to get out to pretend city. It's just so hard to justify when we have already-paid-for Disneyland passes. Looks awesome.

And no. Liking Tulsa doesn't make you a slut. However - your promiscuous history does contribute to said reputation... I mean, I tried to tell you to stop, you know.

;)

Deidra said...

Does wanting to go to Pretend City make me weird? That looks so awesome.

Fancy brunch out has to be my very favorite way to consume amazing food. Thanks for sharing all the details. If we hadn't just eaten dinner, I may have insisted Chris make reservations to Julienne this weekend and take me to brunch heaven! :)

Deidra said...

Oh, and I think it's great you're getting excited for Tulsa-- it makes hard moves that much easier. Plus, liking more than one place shows you're a happy person. I hope Tulsa lives up to your expectations.

Liz Johnson said...

Slut.

James Cramer said...

Hey Jean, yes Tulsa has a Cracker Barrel, I'd move there just for that!

Lesley said...

Pretend City looks so cool. And I love it's name! My boys would be in heaven.

Tulsa has a farmers market? A real one? Lucky! Plus, finding a good local events blog is a gold mine. Nice work!

Emily said...

Yay for Balboa! It's my favorite! Newport Coast is so beautiful too, such a great view of the ocean up in those hills . . .they were part of our ward boundaries until our ward was split last month. We liked to pretend Kobe Bryant was in our ward boundaries, since he has a house up there! We are going to pretend city next week for a play group outing! Can't wait! Sounds like Tulsa is going to be pretty cool!

lyndsey said...

mmm. the bluths would be proud. fun "last days" activities! glad you guys made it to julienne, that place rocks. b ordered the french toast too; i could barely handle one bite of that thing. apparently men are blindly attracted to the sugar high.

Headle said...

I LOVE THIS POST!! I absolutely love how you are making the very most of California while you are there. You are going to have so many wonderful memories to look back on.

I also adore how you are scoping out Tulsa! You two will know all the great places to go right when you move there!

You have such a great outlook! Your optimism is seriously contagious :)

B Brown said...

Kind makes me sad that you are scurrying around doing things you won't be able to do soon :(

How did I not know about Pretend city? We'll have to check it out.