Monday, May 10, 2010

It's Almost Time

Pasadena City Hall

Well, it's almost time for us to say goodbye to this neck of the woods. AHH! Today we're going to Disneyland for one last hurrah (sniffle sniffle); tomorrow the movers are coming and packing everything up except for our bedding (thus commencing our weeklong eating-out-for-every-meal); and Wednesday they're coming back to load the truck and drive off with our belongings. That night, we're staying in a local hotel in Pasadena, and then on Thursday morning, we hit Interstate 40!

Anyway, I've been thinking a lot about our time here. Here's a quick (aka extremely long) summary:

# months: 45
# apartments: 1
# college degrees: 1
# student loans: 15
# jobs: Jean=1, Tim=3
# apartment break-ins: 0 (surprisingly)
# bikes stolen: 1
# 911 calls: 2
# police visits to our house: 2 (unrelated to the 911 calls)
# times blinded by a helicopter searchlight: 2
# sirens: approx. 3,780
# quarters used for laundry: approx. 4,032
# hospital visits: 1
# babies: 1
# favorite playgrounds: 7
# favorite restaurants: 6
# celebrities: 13
# cupcakes: too many to count
# new cars: 0
# cars that we continue to drive even though they’re missing a door handle and generally a piece of crap: 1
# races: 2 (1 half-marathon: Tim & Jean; 1 marathon: Tim)
# church callings: 3 each
# friend/family visitors: 7 (pitiful…)
# Dodgers games: 1 (also pitiful…)
# trips to Europe: 1
# trips to Yosemite: 0 (whoops)
# trips to the Central Coast: 4
# trips to San Diego: 0 (whoops)
# trips to Disneyland: far too few

Things I’m going to miss:

-A grocery store, shoe store, Big Lots, Game Stop (that one’s for Tim), Subway, Pizza Hut, Italian restaurant, Chinese restaurant, BBQ restaurant, Salvadorean restaurant, fish restaurant, 2 Mexican restaurants, 2 Mexican markets, 4 barber shops, donut shop, 2 gas stations, car parts store, library, and post office, all within a five-minute walk from our front door.

-The mountains. First we were along the Wasatch Front, and then we were in the San Gabriel Valley. For the past seven years, we’ve lived with mountains next to us.

-Our hammock trees. It’s been really nice to be able to lie in a hammock outside our front door and read a book beneath the trees.

-The two stray cats in my neighborhood who come to me for food. Okay, so I give them food. Okay, so I pet them a little. Okay, so I kind of love cats and am desperate for feline interaction. But, they’re sweet little things.

-All the great parks/playgrounds: Brookside, McDonald, Vina Vieja, Victory, Hastings Ranch, Farnsworth, Garfield, Lacy, Shane’s Inspiration, etc…

-All the great museums: LACMA, Norton Simon Museum, Natural History Museum, Pacific Asia Museum, Autry Museum, etc…

-All the great kid-friendly places: Kidspace Museum, CA Science Center, L.A. Arboretum, L.A. Zoo, Travel Town, Aquarium of the Pacific, Pretend City, etc.

-All the great malls: Santa Anita, Glendale Galleria, Americana, The Grove, etc.

-All the great bakeries/cupcakeries: Dots, Sprinkles, Europane, Le Pain Quotidien, etc.

-All the great restaurants!!! Now, I WOULD put this in the next category down, but I also know that I’ll find great restaurants in Tulsa to which I’ll become fiercely loyal, too. So, I feel like it’s okay to move on to a new place for that reason – the opportunity for more culinary discoveries.

-Los Angeles in general. It’s been fun to be so close to downtown, Hollywood, Burbank, Beverly Hills, Long Beach, Santa Monica, Malibu, Orange County, etc.

Things I’m REALLY going to miss:

-Art Center. Even though it was, at times, a journey through hell for Tim, it was an amazing opportunity, especially given the really talented and professional artist-professors with whom Tim got to study. I’m going to miss the place. It was what brought us here, and it is what is now launching us forward.

-Ikea. Where do people even buy furniture without Ikea? And thus begins Jean’s effort to bring Ikea to Oklahoma, just like I devoted time and effort to bringing Krispy Kreme to Lansdale and CafĂ© Rio to Los Angeles. Let’s wait and see…

-Costco. They have Sam’s Club in Tulsa, but still… I have a repertoire of Costco products to which I am strongly attached.

-Trader Joe’s. I’m going to have to trade Joe Joe’s for Oreos… I’m going to have to trade Baked Cheese Crunchies for Cheetos… I’m going to have to buy yogurt with high-fructose corn syrup again! Where am I going to find Weston’s favorite foods like berry applesauce and pesto tortellini and chicken drumettes and organic animal crackers? And where would I even START looking for garlic naan or pre-chopped pancetta or quinoa with veggies or almond butter with flax? I know, I know, I can try Whole Foods. But that place is expensive!!!

Things that I am absolutely HEARTBROKEN about losing:

-Disneyland. I am truly and genuinely pained that we have to take Weston away from Disneyland. He loves it SO MUCH, and we always have such a fun, happy time there as a family.

-Miss Tanya. Miss Tanya is the storytime lady at our library branch – Santa Catalina – who runs the toddler storytime. SHE IS AMAZING. I LOVE HER. I am so glad that I found her. And I’m not biased – any time that there was a substitute, he/she was pitifully inferior to her. Her storytime consists of songs, books (but not too many), felt boards, music, and egg shakers, along with a fun craft and a cookie at the end. And did I mention that it’s all free? I am going to miss her so much. She has helped a lot in the education of my little child

-Parent Ed. It’s basically a weekly mommy-and-me program run by our local community college. It includes playtime – with TONS of toys, crafts, and equipment to play with – songs, snack, storytime, music, and even an adult discussion. And it’s FREE. I can’t imagine there are very many colleges that offer something like this.

-The Pasadena ward. I love this ward. I know everyone always says that they love their wards. But seriously – I really, really cherish everyone here. I have seen great examples of human kindness and generosity. Thinking of losing this ward hurts my heart.

-My California friends. (And this one goes for Tim and Weston, too.) I love you all so much. I hate having to pull Weston away from all his little kid friends. And I hate having to leave all my grown-up friends. I know we’ve only lived here for 3.5 years of our lives, but that’s plenty of time to become very close with people. And that’s the case especially when these are the people, both in the ward and otherwise, who watched us go from being a husband and wife to a daddy and mommy. Again… at least there are blogs! If you don’t have one, START ONE! Do it for Team Anderson!!! And I know many of you wonderful CA friends have already moved on, so just know that I miss you and will continue to miss you, too.

Anyway, wish us luck! We're driving halfway across the country with a toddler -- whee! What could possibly be more fun than making him sit 25 hours in the car, over the course of 4 days, and staying in 5 unfamiliar hotel rooms in completely unfamiliar places? Yeah... we'll see how that goes. (We're hoping our "Present a Day" program goes over well.) We expect to arrive in Tulsa on Sunday evening and then move into the new place on Monday. AHH! I still can't believe this is all happening. Tulsa? Tulsa!

14 comments:

Abby said...

Hey, did you know there's an IKEA in Frisco, TX? About 4 hours from you? When we lived in Tallahassee, the closest IKEA was in Atlanta, 4 hours away, and a lot of people would go up, buy stuff, rent a moving truck, and drive back! Or you could fill your car to the brim. Might have to borrow/buy a bigger car though. ;)

Weston's a trooper! He'll do great on the drive!!! Just have snacks & movies on hand and don't feel bad if he screams. Like Tiff said, it's not like an airplane where everyone else can hear him. :D

We love you guys!!! We will miss you!!!

(Oh, I just checked -- you're three hours from Ft. Sill, where my sister's moving. Totally doable!)

Deidra said...

We're moving closer to a TJ's, which makes my heart sing. I may be more motivated for temple trips now! ;)

I think Chris would trade you straight across-- you can have me for a road trip companion and he can have Weston. I'm terrible, and thinking about driving to Indiana makes me want to run away. Or throw a little hissy fit.

Emily said...

Good luck with the move Jean! Can't wait to hear about your new adventures. I'm so glad we were able to get together with you guys that one time! *hugs*

Lisa said...

Man, how exciting!! I'm so jealous that you have movers. But I'm not jealous of how QUICK this is all going. I mean, I guess it makes sense--if you get a job halfway across the country you'd need to move soon--it's just how crazy how quickly it's all happening! If you want a place to stay in Denver you have one, but I have a feeling we're a little too north to really be "on the way."

And Ikea is totally overrated. Okay, so I've never been to one. But I've looked online, and we have a furniture store here that is way better prices. So maybe Tulsa has one of those! (?)

lyndsey said...

good luck with the move! i feel your pain on most of those items, but just know this: newman o's organic sandwich cookies are alllllmost just as good as joe joes [no hydrogenated oils and whatnot, so they taste similar]. they don't have candy cane ones, but they DO have regular, chocolate and peanut butter filled. there is hope for you yet.

Carol Benesh said...

I can't believe how fast this has come. I remember the first talk you gave in our ward where you told your story (one that I mostly remember and I rarely remember much). I never really got to know you but thought you always seemed like a great girl. Then I got to be with you in Stake YW and got to know that you are truly as amazing as my first impression indicated. Finally had some one on one time with Weston, who is a wonderful boy, and now you're all leaving (ok, sorry Tim, I still don't know you that well but I'm sure you're great since you have such an awesome wife and child). I will have to check in at your blog and read the latest. I've always wanted to leave California, but reading your blog makes me think I might want to reconsider! There is a lot to like here, isn't there? Have a safe trip and a wonderful time in Oklahoma and keep in touch. I wish you all good things. Sorry about the novel!

Liz Johnson said...

Having been in the same predicament, I feel I am authorized to proclaim the following loudly to the world from some place very high: SAM'S CLUB IS NOT COSTCO. Not even close. Ugh, the difference is so obvious when you go to Sam's, it's disgusting. I regularly drive between 1.5-3 hours (each way) to get to a Costco, and it is well worth it. Just FYI. :)

Also, having never been addicted to Trader Joe's... I can offer the following help - most grocery stores now carry generic organic items. I can send you a recipe for garlic naan. Costco sells almond butter with flax (see above). And... I dunno. Sigh. Let's meet up in the middle (St. Louis!) on a regular basis, k?

I agree with Abby - road trips are easier than plane trips with a toddler. And find lots of parks on the way, and have Tim drop you off at a park while he fills up the car with gas so that Weston can run around like crazy. Food can be eaten in the car, but you cannot run around wild in the car. Use stops for letting the child go wild. Also... portable DVD player? Yes.

daMawma said...

You have organized everything perfectly... but "perfect" does not exist on long road trips. Expect the unexpected too. Special blessings on old, broken "Cloud" that it doesn't break down for good in the desert. Teach Weston our family travel secret that singing OUT LOUD in the car makes the time go faster. Luv ewe lots!

dietcokegrrl said...

Oh Jean-
I can't believe you're leaving so soon. I'm in Utah and won't even be around to say goodbye. I'm glad we got to do Cafe Rio before you left.

It's been so great getting to know you better--and yes, thank goodness for blogs!

Good luck on your new adventure. Can't wait to hear all about it.
XOXO

La La Land said...

OH Jean, my heart still hurts for many of the things you mentioned! The most important being the Pasadena ward and my Pasadena friends. Life is definitely good in P-town. And yes, thank goodness for blogs. Good luck on the move! Lots of love...

B Brown said...

I still can't believe its true. I don't think I 've ever told you guys how much you meant to the Brownstein family. Besides being wonderful friends to me & the boys, you were literally an answer to prayers. I so desperately wanted Mike to have a friend & Tim has always been fabulous in texting, talking and inviting Mike out.

Nuts, now I'm gonna cry. Let me just stop here and say you guys rock, keep on blogging & maybe we'll meet up in Philly some day!

hugs,
Rebecca

Abbie said...

Bless you on your road trip. That is far.

I don't like moving. It bums me out BIG TIME, but Tulsa is going to love you AND you'll be 4 hours away from Dallas which means we should play when we go to TX! 4 hours in nothing, right? Oh, and you're that much closer to NY!

Good luck and much love!

hilary w said...

Good luck you guys! What an adventure you are about to embark on. I hope the drive goes smoothly and that you fall in love with Tulsa (even if it is a slut spelled backwards! ha!).

Headle said...

Jean!!! Having just got home from a week long road trip to Utah, I can fully empathize with the ups and downs of traveling with littles!!

I'm really thinking and praying for you!!! You have such great faith!!! I'm certain that as you get settled into your new life in Tulsa, you will find many bountiful and timely answers to your prayers :)

LOVE YOU!!!!