Monday, November 22, 2010

Place Your Bets!

My 16-week ultrasound is one week from today. So, it's time to place your bets!! Will it be a boy or a girl? Make your call in the poll on the right!

(I'm assuming, of course, that the baby will be in the right position and the machine will be high-tech enough to tell the gender by next week. If not... cue "Price Is Right" loser music.)

Here's the lowdown:

-I'm pretty sure that EVERYONE who guessed the gender in their comments on the last post guessed girl, mainly due to my increased nausea this time around. However, I remain unconvinced. My friend Rebecca had way worse nausea with her second pregnancy, and then had another boy.

-On the other hand, the Chinese gender calendar clearly predicts girl.

-On the other hand, globally there are about 105 to 107 boys born for every 100 girls, so really, we're all slightly more likely to have boys than girls with our pregnancies.

-It seems like the majority of my friends have boys. In Tim's family, there are five boys and just one girl. For Tim's parents, all of the grandkids so far are boys.

-I have a boy. And honestly, I'm probably a better boy mom than girl mom, because I don't know how to French-braid, I'm not crafty, and I hate drama. That doesn't mean that I don't want a girl; it just means that it would be a HUGE adjustment.

So, those are the main considerations. But really, I guess it all just depends on whether that little X or Y got there first. Haha! We'll find out soon... (hopefully)!

13 comments:

Lalee Photography said...

You would think after being friends with me all growing up you'd be a pro at drama Jean Bean! ;) I voted. I'm going with girl :) I CAN'T WAIT to find out!!!!!

Lisa said...

John stole the vote from our computer (and voted girl), so I want you to know that I would've voted BOY! I think you have the same fate as me. And I was MUCH sicker the second time, and boy. And the chinese gender chart said Aaron would be a girl, and that hanging a pencil above your wrist thing said he'd be a girl... and still a boy. And two boys would be so fun! So, once again, I say boy :) I hope you're able to find out! How fun!

Liz Johnson said...

I'm going with girl, not only from the nausea standpoint, but also because I think more girls need moms like Jean. :)

Word verif: herpsbys. Regardless of gender, I hope your child doesn't have herpsbys.

Headle said...

I'm voting girl! And you really do have the coolest doctor ever! How amazing to possibly find out at the 16 week appointment. Learning the gender will definitely make Christmas shopping a little easier :)

Ah, I'm so excited for you!!

Abbie said...

You're so having a girl. Not because of the nausea, but because that's what I'm feelin. And I totally know how you feel. And then Audrie came! Girls are awesome! Promise.

Wendi said...

I vote girl. I thought I should be an all boy mom, but I love my two girls and with the drama comes lots of extra sweetness that I don't always get from my boy. If you ever find someone who gives lessons on how to do little girls's hair, I want to get in on that!

daMawma said...

Since Gangy thinks "boy", I will go with "girl". Whether boy or girl, it is still a 50-50 guess. And, anyway, the winner will be Pumpkin for sure because there are no better parents than you two!

Anne Marie said...

I don't know how to think other than "boy"! But I am so glad that we had one girl because she's such a great daughter! I would not mind being wrong and finally being allowed to shop in the pink aisle again. Also, I know how to French braid hair and can give lessons! I agree with Peg that it is a win-win for Pumpkin and for us!

Deidra said...

I'm oh-so-jealous of the frequent and early ultra-sounds. Our doctor is strictly a one time shot and only at exactly 20 weeks. TORTURE! I was hoping at my 18 week appointment they'd let us go, but no way, Jose. I voted girl, but just so Baby Girl Hartwell can have a girl friend.

Jacob Sparks said...

Voted: Jedi

The Facks of Life said...

the nausea makes me think girl! so i'm going for that! :) good luck and congrats!

B Brown said...

Oh yes, all those people who told me it had to be a girl becuase of the increased nausea can take their superstitions & old-wives tales and you-know-what ;) I say its a boy. I'm with you on being a boy mom. I like being the only girl in my family. I get away with more.

Rob said...

I flipped a coin. It's a boy.