Thursday, November 18, 2010

Yes, That Was an Announcement

[Editor's Note: I know most of you already know this, because you probably got a phone call or read it on Facebook. But, just in case...]

WE ARE EXPECTING!!!

We enlisted the friendly Pumpkandersons to share the news, but since they're pumpkins and can't actually speak, they used their own cryptic method instead.

I am 14 weeks pregnant at this point, with an expected due date of May 13th (but of course we all know I'll go over). My OB here in Tulsa is fabulous and likes to do ultrasounds at every appointment through 20 weeks, which means that we may find out the gender as early as my 16-week appointment. Here's hopin'! As with my pregnancy with Weston, it's once again hard for me to really envision the baby and understand the upcoming change to our family dynamic until I know whether it's a boy or girl. Once I find out, I can start to either get excited for Weston's future brother-best-friend and breathe a sigh of relief that we don't have to buy a million new clothes, OR get excited that I'm going to have a little Jean and go out and buy a million new clothes.

Weston and Pumpkin (thank you all for the nickname suggestion) will be just over 3 years apart (39 months, to be precise). He is slightly aware that there's a baby in Mommy's belly, but rarely mentions it anymore. Perhaps he'll understand when my stomach begins to swell, but for now, it's probably just a strange, hard-to-grasp concept for him. On the upside, he seems to love babies in general. He's always excited to see babies, and he's always very cute with them.

I'm a little happy that I'm once again avoiding a third-trimester-in-the-sweltering-summer. But seriously, I have had some SERIOUS nausea this time around -- WAY worse than with Weston. With Weston, there were a handful of bouts of nausea, and only one that was severe enough to actually remember. (I had eaten a breakfast burrito, and then realized that eggs were the most horrid thing ever. So, I laid on the floor and moaned, "That was a bad choice...") This time around, I started feeling nauseated at 6 weeks, and it didn't go away until 12 or 13 weeks. I know, that doesn't sound like very long. And no, I never actually threw up. But, geeeeeeeez, you guys!!! I had no idea how awful that first trimester can be! I hate nausea. I HATE IT.

I eventually realized that my stomach had to be in some sort of perfect, mystical equilibrium between hunger and satiety to avoid feeling overly nauseated. If I was the slightest bit hungry, I felt sick. If I was too full, I felt sick. So, I started eating crackers and snacks ALL the time to avoid even the tiniest onset of hunger. I seriously decided that I'd rather gain 25 pounds in the first trimester alone than endure the constant nausea. And I also realized that it is entirely possible to be both nauseous and starving at the same time. Although I felt awful, I was still having cravings, particularly for salty, salty foods, like tater tots, cheddar-sour cream chips, Ramen noodles, mac & cheese, etc. Apparently when I'm pregnant, I craaaaave salty foods!! One night I thought it would be a brilliant and perfectly nutritious idea to make pigs-in-a-blanket for dinner. (... And I wonder why I didn't feel well...)

Anyway, the nausea is gone now, and I feel splendid. I still don't look pregnant, and I doubt I will for several weeks still. (I looked back at my pregnancy calendar with Weston and saw that I didn't even start unbuttoning the top button of my jeans until 20 weeks. That's just the beautiful, squishy, freak body shape with which I am blessed.)

Anyway, we're excited, and in case you are, too, I posted a Baby Ticker over there on the right side so that we can all observe my pregression. Huzzah!!!

18 comments:

Liz Johnson said...

I really, really, really love creepy floating baby tickers. YAY!!!

And many congratulations!!!! I am SO excited to hear about this one, although I'm guessing a girl, simply based on the nausea. The one pregnancy where I was crazy sick (like you described), it was a girl. So yeah. Put me down for that.

Ramen noodles are the universal pregnancy craving. I'm a lover of the Oriental flavor, myself. :)

Headle said...

I'm sooo glad to get an update Jean! I was thinking about you, wondering how you were! I'm so glad to hear that you are coming out of the nausea! I was the same way...I only got sick-sick a couple of times, but I always went the "ew, nothing sounds good but I'm starving!" phase the first trimester. It really isn't fun. But now its over, YEA! And now you can enjoy the sweet little baby growing in your tummy-phase!

I think its so awesome your OB does that many ultrasounds! That's like a little present every time you go to the doctor! How fun! I love hearing from you :)

Linsey said...

Congratulations, that is very excited. Good call on not being pregnant in the summer, you're so smart.

Lalee Photography said...

I'm guessing girl too. I was SO sick with Finley in the first trimester. Nausea all day long, and then the vomiting all night. Good times! haha! I too had to find that perfect balance of full but not overly full. I am SOOOOOO happy for you guys!!! What a blessing! :) You should put a poll for us to guess what you're having. Oh and definitely update with preggo pics!!! I was telling Finley this morning how this time last year she was just a tiny little peanut in mommy's tummy. Isn't it just so crazy and amazing?? Ugh. Give that tummy of yours a little pat for Aunt Lauri!!

Fig said...

Yay!

And especially yay for me, because I can finally recommend some Tulsa birth stuff to someone. Sounds like you have a doc you like, which is great, but if you change your mind, I saw Dr. Rita Sanders and loved her.

Also, I delivered at St. Francis South and LOVED LOVED LOVED it. Big comfy rooms, wonderful, laid-back nurses, great food (seriously), and a quiet, non-fussy atmosphere. My friends all went to St. Francis the main campus, on 51st and Yale, but the South one (it's at 91st just off 169, I think) is the best. Way less busy and crazy. It's easy to find, easy to park there, easy to make your way through the hospital, and they let me do things the way I wanted, which was fabulous. If your doctor doesn't deliver there, you should switch doctors. Just kidding. Kind of.

Also, I can recommend a great doula, if you're into that kind of thing.

Congratulations!

Lisa said...

Yayyy!!!! I'm so excited for a new Anderson :) I'm so sorry about the icky nausea--it's the worst, no? When you usually get sick, you know it will be over within a couple of days. But pregnancy nausea, it's like, "Hi, you're going to feel awful ALL the time, for at least 2 MONTHS, and you should pretend that you feel fabulous unless you want everyone to know that you're pregnant." So annoying. I don't miss being pregnant at ALL.

Kendra said...

Yes, I AM excited for you. I can't wait to hear more about tour pregnancy. Although in all honesty, it just really makes me miss being pregnant. I loved it. And if it wasn't so crazy to have kids too close together or so expensive for us to get pregnant, I would be perpetually large with child. Anyway, congratulations! And I hope you enjoy your second trimester!

lyndsey said...

yahoo! congratulations! and for the record i was nauseous + no barfing for 9 whole weeks and really, i think it's just as bad [if not worse b/c you don't ever get that moment of relief post-barf] as throwing up all the time. so yeah. i feel ya.

YAY! congrats!

Lauren said...

YAY!! Thanks for posting this for all your non-smarty pants friends who don't get the hint. I'm so excited for you. Being pregnant through the winter IS the way to go, as well as a spring baby. It's just better this route. My second pregnancy has been very similar to yours- nausea-wise. Best of luck!

Brooke said...

Congratulations! I am with Liz on the girl thing. I was a lot more nauseated with this one than I was with James, though I threw up more with James. Good luck with everything!

La La Land said...

Congrats! I was wondering about the itty bitty pumpkin, too! I was sick at least half of my pregnancy, and I had a girl, so you never know!

daMawma said...

Hold on...I wouldn't recommend a 25-pound weight gain at the beginning of a pregnancy. Better to save some of those calories for Tim's midnight runs for ice cream and pickles as you near your due date!

Here's a good recipe for light soup: Make chicken bouillon (or use chicken broth), then add some cubed firm tofu and a handful of fresh spinach. Once the spinach is limp, season soup with a few drops of sesame oil.

dietcokegrrl said...

YAY! Congrats again! I'm guessing girl as well based on the nausea. I had similar symptoms with Hannah and Helene and no nausea at all with Sammy. Can't wait to find out!! :)

James Cramer said...

Hey Jean and Tim, I'm so excited that you are having another baby, congratulations! This means that 'Uncle Jim' will need to update his list of children to send presents to.

laura said...

hooray! congratulations! so excited for you and happy that you're such a great blogger so we can hear all of the fun/not-so-fun details. :)

Abbie said...

You are having a girl! For sure! Ahhh!!! This is so exciting! So glad you're feeling better. And baby tickers - yes yes yes. Bah!! Another Anderson to bless the earth!

Wendi said...

Congratulations!! I'm a bit late to the party, but super excited for you!

B Brown said...

Where the heck have I been! Mike called me today to day he saw it on Facebook. I'm so happy for you guys!!! I thought that tiny pumpkin in the pumkandersons was a little something Weston threw in but I should have known :) Congrats.