Monday, January 10, 2011

The Newest Thing

"Hello, my name is Weston!! And I like to do drawrings!"

Haha! Weston's thing right now is drawing, and I'm very happy about this. (Much happier than when his thing was pulling all the DVDs off the shelf or refusing to sit down in his carseat when we NEED TO GO).

This, finally, is an actual interest that we can nurture and develop. He doesn't seem to like sports, he HATES crafts, and he has little tolerance for musical instruments (except to pretend that the sticks are swords). It may just be a phase, but he sure is cute when he gets all focused and starts scribbling. Plus, I'm really glad that he's taking after Tim, because honestly, I have no skills to offer besides loving French things, cooking up some really great cabbage soup, and maintaining an insanity-inducing stubbornness.

Originally, he would just use piece after piece after piece of scrap paper (with markers or pens) until we had no more scrap paper in the house. Then, in a stroke of genius, I pulled out an old marker board for him to use with dry erase markers. He loves it! He uses it a couple times a day, and it even occupied almost all of his attention during Sacrament meeting on Sunday (with occasional breaks for a snack, a tantrum, and a potty trip). I foresee a new multi-color marker pack for his birthday next month, because Mommy is getting a teensy bit sick of just red and green all the time.

He actually smiles for pictures sometimes now... another HUGE development.
The most surprising thing is that Weston is actually starting to draw humanoid-type shapes. He draws a circle for a head, with two dots for eyes and two lines for lips. Then he draws two lines for legs and two lines for arms (extending from the head, of course). I should probably take a picture of these little humanoid drawings, but I haven't yet. However, this is kind of what it looks like:

The first time he did it and told us that he'd drawn Daddy, we were so proud. Most of his drawings are still scribble-scrabble, but occasionally there are people (like above) or mountains (a bunch of zigzag lines) or cookies (circle with dots) or doughnuts (circle with hole).

Another highlight of his existence right now is the Magna-doodle that Santa brought him. I LOVE this thing - a big drawing space with an attached magnetic pen and NO MESS. He uses this a lot, too. This afternoon, he drew a picture that he was especially proud of, and I said that I would take a picture:

What a nice face

Then I told him that it looks like a very nice rainbow, and he corrected me: "No, it's a monster footprint." Gotcha.

[Editor's Note: Yes, it's been almost THREE WEEKS since I blogged. Remember when I used to be such a good, timely blogger? I don't. Ha! But coming up next... the Christmas-in-PA recap! Whee!]

[Editor's Note part 2: I love you all. Thanks for reading my blog today.] :-)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

FINALLY!!!
I have been stalking your blog for a whole week.
The world is right again.

daMawma said...

That Magna-Doodle looks "so big" compared to the ones available when you were a kid. And five lines can also be a template for musical composition, or finger-marks scratched in mud. I'll give him six months before he sketches the Mona Lisa! Yes, buy that kid a variety of color markers.

Liz Johnson said...

That is so awesome. He is a protege! He draws way better than both of my kids.

The Hyer Family said...

I have to say that I love this stage of kids! Weston's human drawing reminds me of the ones that Lauren used to do and that Kate does now--I love them and I keep them...in their eyes, that's what a person looks like!

Lisa said...

How cute!!! We've recently gotten Jonathan to at least scribble, so that's good! Then he'll just start rolling the crayons, but oh well. Improvement is improvement! And he's started smiling for pictures, too! I got out the camera the other day, with intentions of taking a video of Aaron laughing at Jonathan, and Jonathan just stood there and smiled until the flash went off--hahaha! I loved it!

P.S. I love the monster footprint. Tell him it's actually a musical staff.

Abbie said...

YAY!! I've missed you and pictures of Weston! We love you and we love your blog!

Okay, the monster foot - awesome! Kids are so cool! My kids are big into drawing too (probably most kids their age are). It's amazing to me that I can pull out the box of crayons and some paper and they will be entertained for a looong time. 2nd best babysitter (next to playdough and the TV:)

James Cramer said...

Wow, Weston is an Artist (said with French accent), well that is great. I'm glad that he has a new fun hobby.

gunnfam said...

Wow, following after his dad. Way to go Weston! It looks like you had a great Christmas. Miss you guys!