Saturday, August 9, 2008

The Next Best Thing

Tim and I are suffering from a fierce case of Disneyland Withdrawal right now. Sadly, our cheap-o Southern California Select passes leave us blocked out for most of the summer. So, we improvised!! We spent an afternoon at Downtown Disney, which is the open-to-the-public, bastard stepchild of Disneyland. Hooray!! (It was still really fun to walk around and hear Disney music and shop Disney merchandise and what not. Sigh... we can't WAIT to get back to the parks!)

We have a sweet hookup at Buena Vista that got us access to the Company D store, which is usually an employees-only store of discounted Disney merchandise. Nice! We got various fundries, like a cute Mickey shirt for Jean, a talking Nemo stuffed animal, and a mini-Yoda costume for Weston.
Then we headed to the Rainforest Cafe for some exciting, jungle-inspired cuisine, along with a few indoor thunderstorms and some general gorilla grunting:
Mommy and Weston in front of the giant, walk-through aquarium. Weston was fascinated by the fishies, but he only had a little while to admire them before our name was called:
So for most of our meal, he lounged and played with Mr. Turtlebottom:
This is the China Island Chicken Salad, which I ALWAYS order whenever we go to the Rainforest Cafe:
Daddy making a wacky face with the boy:
Then we walked to the World of Disney, which is the largest Disney store in the world (I've heard that a few times, and I've never bothered to fact-check on my own, so I'll just go ahead and perpetuate the rumor):
Then we discovered the not-so-hidden entrance to the Grand Californian Hotel, which is the nicest hotel at the park. We strolled around, admired the loveliness, and made flimsy plans to eat at Napa Rose sometime:
The ginormous lobby area:
Then we hit the Marceline Confectionary, which sells these super-scrumptious, giant soft cookies, along with fudge, candies, cupcakes, and other treats:
Isn't it cute inside?
Finally we went to the Lego store and shoved bunches of kids out of the way so that we could play at the Lego tables (just kidding):
Of course we had to pay homage to the life-size Lego Vader:
After we got home and put the wee one to bed, Tim and I played with his new Indiana Jones Lego set:
We had fun reenacting the escape scene in The Last Crusade. Doesn't Lego Sean Connery actually look like Sean Connery? I think so. :-)

6 comments:

dana said...

I'm glad you're getting your Disneyland fix any way you can. Way to be creative!

Tiff said...

Ok... you know I love you guys... I mean, you'er one of our favoritest couple friends if not our favoritest... which is why I have to say this:

WHY do I have to find out from your blog every time you come down this way?! Why do you not automatically remember, "oh yeah... the Nutters live 10 mintues away. Let's call them" every time you do anything at/near/around the D-land?!!!

*sobbing and loneliness*

P.S.
If Weston is Yoda for Halloween I don't think I could handle that... *squeal!*

P.P.S.
That means Jean will have to wear the Leia bikini

P.P.S.S.
Dave says that means Tim will have to be the sarlacc pit...

daMawma said...

Have fun with the LEGOS (Tim and Jean) but they are for "big kids" only...you would be shocked at the body count from youngsters choking on those pieces!

I'm surely looking forward to your arrival back home next week. I'll check my calendar to see if I have any time free to meet with you. Have your people call my people.

Lisa said...

I LOVE the Rainforest Cafe! They got rid of the one in Denver :(

Hey, Lego Shaun Connery does look like him! Crazy!!

Headle said...

Oh my word?! You two are just SO MUCH FUN!! Little Weston is going to be the happiest little boy ever!! You are seriously always doing such fun daily adventures. How inspiring :)

Kristen said...

Sounds like a fun day! You live by so many cool things.

Weston is such a cutie! We have to get him and Linc together someday!

Reuben has the same lego set. It has gotten played with sooo much and taken everywhere!