Monday, August 4, 2008

Rio Rumors

Tim and I are hardcore Cafe Rio lovers. (Click HERE for proof.) Whenever anyone asks me anything about our three years in Utah, I ALWAYS bring up my absolute, undying affinity for Cafe Rio. Plus, I always state that it's what I miss the most about Utah. Seriously! (Sorry BYU, Freedom Festival, Deseret Book, Wasatch Front, Uintas, Temple Square, Moab, dollar theater, Pier 49, and Doc's, but Cafe Rio wins. ...Okay, okay, we miss our friends and family members in Utah more, but still... Cafe Rio is up there.)

Even though it's been a long year since we've eaten Cafe Rio, we still daydream about our favorite menu items (Jean: the chicken salad with black beans and creamy tomatillo dressing; Tim: the pork burrito, enchilada style, with black beans and red sauce), and we still carry around our Cafe Rio card (four stamps on it, six more to go until that free meal). How else can I say it? We LOVE Cafe Rio.

Oh, here's another way that I can say it: on multiple occasions, I have requested (begged, pleaded) via email that Cafe Rio consider bringing itself down to the Southland. Seriously, we're not even talking about a risky venture here... there are TONS of Utah ex-pats living in Southern California who are hankering and aching for some nearby Rio (Vegas is just too far to drive on a weekly basis). And even so, in my opinion the land is ripe for a unique Mexican cafe featuring fresh, high-quality ingredients. How much more lucrative can this proposition be??

So naturally, you can understand that I freaked out and peed my pants the other night when a couple of my girlfriends mentioned the rumor that Cafe Rio plans to open not one, but TWO restaurants in SoCal - one in LA County and one in Orange County. Could it be?! Is it true?! Is my dream becoming a reality??! I don't want to do the Dance of Joy prematurely, so I've contacted Cafe Rio Corporate asking if this is true (while shaking with bottled-up excitement, lest they positively confirm). However, I haven't heard back yet. So, I'm begging you, if you know ANYTHING about Cafe Rio coming to Southern California, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!! Thank you.

(I will sit here waiting patiently for comments. In the meantime, I'll daydream about warm, cheesy tortillas, marinated pork, tomatillo dressing, etc.....)

11 comments:

Liz Johnson said...

Mmmmmmmm. Rio. I would be SO jealous.

I heard a rumor very recently that In-N-Out is headed up to open 10-15 locations in Utah. Dead serious.

sachia said...

You are too funny! Let me know if you hear anything!

dana said...

Yes, Sherri told me about this too and I have been wanting to do a blog post...but YES, I must receive more info before I start another Mormon rumor floating around.
I DO hope it's true!

Dave said...

Not to put salt in your wound, but Tiff and I were back in Utah this last week for a wedding, and stopped at Cafe Rio. We agree that they need to start trickling over to CA. Yum Yum!

lyndsey said...

WHAT????? this is the best news i've ever heard. i hope it's true...this will definitely save me the road trip to AZ or vegas for every time i want some rio (my fave is the pork salad w/ creamy tomatillo :) and i too carry around my free meal card in my wallet. jean we have so much in common!

megan said...

sherri told me the rumor as well...I sure hope it's true!! I'll be getting some rio later in the month wne I head to st george...can't wait!!

Emily said...

you must let us all know as soon as you find out for sure! your post made me hungry! I took your advice and am trying to eat there as much as possible before we move on the 23rd of this month. I hope hope hope there is one in Orange County. Believe it or not, Jared is not a fan of Cafe Rio, but he goes there because he knows I love it!

La La Land said...

This rumor has been going around for a few years now. I was mad it didn't come true before I moved! But, now I don't really care (sorry!) because I can have it every day if I'd like. Don't worry, I'll eat a delicious pork salad for you weekly!!!

Ellsworth said...

That would be awesome if they opened one near you!
When we visited Utah in December we had to stop by Cafe Rio right after getting off the plane before visiting family or anything else! :)

Nat said...

Sachia was talking about this too...I think. I don't wanna get my hopes up, but how can I not? :)BTW, thanks a lot Laura for rubbing it in our faces. *sob*

Lillian said...

I am laughing at this post because it could be written by Matt & I. I had my Cafe Rio card in my wallet for a whole year, until I made it back to Utah this summer to use it for the free meal. We went so many times in the 10 days I was there that we earned another free meal.

We would LOVE it if they opened one out here, we were just talking about it this morning. The funny thing is, all the former Utah people who live here all say the same thing. That place needs to expand, seriously.

You even order it correcly - pork beans, enchilada style with black beans and red sauce. Placed a lot of phone orders have you?