Saturday, September 20, 2008

I'm Just GLO-ing

Hahahaha... I totally just made that up! Awesome. Yesterday, a few of the girls got together for a GLO (Girls Lunch Out), in honor of our fabulous friend Laura W's brief return to Pasadena since her move to Utah. (COME BACK!!! We miss you. And you look amazing, as always.) We dined on sandwiches and salads at a small, charming, diner-esque restaurant in Pasadena, and thoroughly enjoyed the 1,000-calorie cheddar popovers that they brought warm in baskets to our table. It was tasty fun times.

Plus, five of the six of us brought our babies (the sixth baby is still baking), and because most of the babies are older than Weston, I got a little glimpse into what it's like to dine out with wiggly, wriggly, grabby little cutie patooties to whom you actually have to feed food (like, not just little-nibbles-of-runny-cereal-for-fun, but actual food at actual mealtime). Huh... unfortunately, it doesn't look like motherhood gets easier as they become bigger and more coordinated. Haha! Note to self: when Big West transitions to the restaurant high chair, be sure to move all utensils and other items to the opposite side of the table; bring bags and bags of snacks and toys; and don't press your luck by staying too long. I'm learning. (Weston, by the way, stayed in his carseat for most of the time until he got wriggly and fussy, and I realized that my carseat-in-the-restaurant days are coming to an end. Bummer!) I commend my fellow moms.

Anyway, we were all snapping pictures of course, and I realized once again that it's ridiculously difficult to get children to actually make eye contact with the camera when attempting to take their picture. (I'm already pretty accustomed to this little conundrum, thanks to the few photo shoots that I've taken Weston to, and to the constant photographing that occurs at home. I've made a complete fool of myself many a time. No shame.) Anyway, it took quite awhile for all of us to get photos of the babies, and I'd like to give a special shout-out to Shannon's valiant efforts (including such clever and only slightly embarrassing tricks as making faces, snapping, wiggling fingers, and opening and closing her shiny cell phone in order to attract the babies' attention.) Way to go!! She has 2.5 kids, so she's a pro. :-)

Anyway, here are some photos that I managed to score (aren't my friends and their babies just absolutely gorgeous??):

Laura W and her little girl Alice, Laura D and her little boy Charlie (aka Future Weston)
Natalie, Sachia (with baby girl Sienna), and Shannon
Fallon (Natalie's little girl), who sat across from me at the table and who I want to cuddle because she's so freaking adorable
Me and West (who, not surprisingly, did not feel like looking at the camera)

11 comments:

daMawma said...

What a brave undertaking! Five babies at one table, with attention spans of 30 seconds to 3 minutes tops. The mere logistics are enervating. I noticed the eatery was unnamed...did they invite you never to return?

dana said...

You are so good to be observant. Yes, it doesn't really get any easier for a couple years. But then one day, the child kinda does want to sit there and play with little toys while you eat (Lucy)...but by that point, you have another one (Owen) who's in the grab-everything-in-sight stage. Ah, the fun never ends :)
Glad you guys had a great time though! And yes, very brave of you all!

Lisa said...

I have recently thought the same thing. I'm trying to convince Jonathan to be 6 months forever.

Your friends ARE gorgeous! I'm glad you will even talk to me :)

The Hyer Family said...

Thanks for the shout-out---guess acting dumb comes naturally to me!

dietcokegrrl said...

Looks like you guys had a great time! Fun!

Yes, it definitely gets harder to go out to eat as they get older. The only place we can go out to eat is Souplantation because they will actually eat there, it's already pretty loud (so what's a little more noise?), and I don't feel to badly about the mess (I'm not sure why that is).

I miss the days of 0-6 months when all they do is sleep and nurse and they are NOT mobile and need little-to-no entertainment!

Emily said...

Hey Jean! Thanks for your congrats on my blog! I've heard early spring babies are best. I still haven't felt any movement yet but I'm now 17 weeks so hopefully soon! Liz Johnson said she felt her 1st at 17 weeks too. What a fun post, GLO! I'm always paying attention to parents and moms taking their kids out and how they handle it these days!

Nat said...

I am so surprised no one was seriously injured during lunch! What were we thinking?? :) What a fun outing though- it's always a great time when the mamas get together.

sachia said...

Hanging out in the car seat phase??? Dang, my daughter has never done that! Your very lucky he is sooo mellow. I am putting a hoax on everbody with such good babies to get a spitfire nexttime. Car seat phase....wow, what would that be like?????

So fun to see all of you!

Jean said...

Test comment!

Jean said...

Test comment 2!

Jean said...

Test comment 3!