Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Post-Election Debrief

Well...

There you have it. Another presidential election. Maybe you're ecstatic, maybe you're depressed. I can understand both of those feelings, because I've been there. Either way, this is a momentous, magnificent event in the history of our American society. Whether we are Republicans or Democrats or Independents or Others, I think we should all try to join together and support our new President-Elect. I, for one, am grateful that Weston is going to be part of the new generation that grows up knowing that, truly, we are ALL equal and EVERYTHING is possible. Thinking about this world of possibility and opportunity that he is entering makes me very happy.

Anyway, it's dizzying going through all the commentary by TV pundits and journalists and writers as to the immense meaning and implications of this election. Here are two of my favorite articles that I've come across, if you have a few minutes for a couple quick reads:

Article #1: (This one is extremely thoughtful and touching.)
And Then They Wept
By Charles M. Blow
Published: November 4, 2008
History will record this as the night the souls of black folk, living and dead, wept – and laughed, screamed and danced – releasing 400 years of pent up emotion.


Article #2: (This one is... well... did you really think that this WOULDN'T come up? Haha!)
That Dress? Everyone Has an Opinion
By Ruth La Ferla
Published: November 5, 2008
Some called Michelle Obama's election night dress an eye-catching statement and others an eyesore.

11 comments:

dietcokegrrl said...

Great post--I am THRILLED about the results: Obama being elected, Prop 2 and Prop 8 passing. YAY!

But, yes, I HATED THE DRESS!! The minutes she walked out I said "what the heck is she wearing? That is the ugliest and not to mention most unflattering dress."

It's even mentioned on my Facebook status today...I was that disturbed by it.

Speaking of which, you need to get on Facebook...even Tim is on there!! heehee

Emily said...

oh my gosh! I was totally confused by that dress as well. Glad it wasn't just me! She seems like such a well put together lady, it was just a bit funny looking!

Abbie said...

I feel incredibly blessed we live in the USA where any driven, hard-working, smart person can be president no matter what their race, religion (?), gender, etc. It really is amazing. I love the USA!

On the other hand: I'm worried about what Eli and Audrie will be doing with the massive debt our nation is going to have by the time they're 30. I worry about security, I'm REALLY worried about health care and what the H we're going to do with the economy (okay, I'll stop). But, honestly, I think I would still be worried about all of those things no matter who is president. And now I will stop being a stick in the mud.

Anyway, God bless our country, God bless our president, and may our new first lady have someone else pick out her clothing (it really was bad).

Jacob Sparks said...

"I, for one, am grateful that Weston is going to be part of the new generation that grows up knowing that, truly, we are ALL equal and EVERYTHING is possible."

Unless you where for "No" for prop 8. I know I know, I do understand both sides, I have heard it all. But that directly affects a portion of the population and is letting them know everything is not possible for them at this time. Careful, they may steal your marriages.

;)

On another note, isn't it nice feeling confident in a president. Like they may actually make a change in a right direction instead of fearing he wont get past tying his shoes in the morning? Maybe bring back a little American Pride. Make it cool not just for rednecks and homeless to wear American flag shirts? Okay maybe that last one was a little to much hopefulness.

Linsey said...

I don't think I am fashion forward enough to understand the dress...but otherwise their night seemed pretty perfect so one flaw was definitely okay.

These articles are two, amazingly, I have not yet read. Thanks for sharing.

Lalee Photography said...

I cried 3 times on election day! I'm such a weenie. I cried after I voted b/c I always cry after I vote - b/c, well, I'm a weenie. Then I cried during John McCain's concession speech - what a class act! And then I cried during President elect Obama's victory speech - SO great!

I liked Michelle Obama's dress! haha :-)

Lisa said...

Hey, I didn't mind the dress :)

Jay said...

booo CA on prop 8, unfortunate

daMawma said...

This is only the second time in my life that I felt awe over a news event...the first time was witnessing the collapse of the former Soviet Union.

Dana Carlin said...

I was extremely touched during both speeches! This is the first election that really made me emotional. I'm excited for the changes, whenever they happen. Not to say that I agree with every position he takes, but a lot of the major ones. I agree with Jacob on Prop 8 and it keeping a huge population from being equal to the rest of us. But that makes for an entirely different discussion...

Liz Johnson said...

I kinda liked the dress too. Different, yes, but I kinda liked it. :)