Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Look at Me, I'm in PA!!

Yes, Tim was right. Apparently the technology for blogging DOES exist in Pennsylvania. I've been here for four days already, and thought that I probably ought to go ahead and write a blog post.

It's going great!!! Before I left, I was so worried about being here WITH Weston but WITHOUT Tim's help. But so far, it's been fine, and as a matter of fact, I think Weston's adjusting and doing better every day (with sleeping, getting to know the relatives again, and other types of acclimating). I got the worst over with first -- my day of travel on Saturday started with a two-hour delay in Orange County. Then, on both flights, Weston slept for just 20 minutes and spent the rest of the time either playing calmly with toys or munching on snacks (yay), or fussing and writhing and crying because he was so exhausted (boo). For the first three nights in PA, he still seemed to have a lot of difficulty sleeping. It would take him 2-3 hours to fall asleep, and then he'd repeatedly wake up crying (which, because we're sharing a room, inevitably woke me as well). But last night, the kid slept GREAT. Plus, for both Tuesday's and today's naps, he's gone down just fine. Phew! Hopefully the adjustment period to a new house and a new room and a new crib has passed.

But really, Weston is being wonderful. While before I was worried that my trip would be extra stressful with him, it's actually turned out to be extra fun with him. We're going to stores, going to restaurants, going to fun places, and best of all, we're spending lots of time with the family (who, happily, seem to also love spending time with us). Weston is especially having a ball with his 22-month-old cousin Killian. They like to chase each other around and giggle at each other. Yesterday they spent a few hours together, and they kept doing this really sweet thing where they would approach each other and lean their little foreheads together affectionately. IT'S SO DARLING!!!!

So, the vacation-for-no-reason appears to be shaping up nicely so far. If you've been on Facebook, then you'll know that most of the highlights of my trip thus far have been food-related:

-Wawa soft pretzels
-Hearth Baker hoagie (on a REAL hoagie roll, which is very difficult to find outside this area)
-Asher's chocolate-covered pretzels
-Chik-Fil-A sandwich (yes, we have it in CA, but it's like 40 minutes away)
-Tastykakes
-Utz tortilla chips
-Merrymead ice cream

Oh, Pennsylvania yumminess! Many more local food gems remain to be experienced, so I'm sure this trip will continue to be gastronomically delightful.

Plus, there have been other non-food highlights as well (believe it or not):

-Seeing Gangy, Grandalf, Grandma, and Grandpa
-Seeing all the uncles & aunt
-Seeing Weston's future BFF Killian
-Seeing Gigi, Weston's great-grandmother
-Watching Weston fall in love again with his extended family
-Waking up on Tuesday morning to a beautiful, gray, rumbly, crackly, East Coast thunderstorm (they just don't make 'em like that in CA)
-Going on walks around the very green and very quiet neighborhood
-Driving around the town where I grew up

So, it's been fun, although I miss Tim terribly, and I know he misses us, too. Probably the best highlight of the trip was something written especially for me in our local newspaper, The Reporter. Some people around here call it "The Distorter" because it is notoriously famous for its spelling and grammatical errors. Evidently, this past Saturday was our town's 32nd annual Lansdale Day celebration on Main Street. So of course, that was the big headline in the Sunday edition of the paper. And guess what it said in huge letters across the top of the page?

"CELEBRATING LANSALE"

The name of this town is Lansdale. With a "D." Not Lansale.

Sigh.

I love it here. :-)

7 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm glad to hear you're alive! I'm glad Weston is sleeping better. I've only taken one trip without John and with Jonathan, and it was pretty terrible for those reasons. But at least you'll be there long enough to have him get used to it.

Anne Marie said...

We are so glad you are here. In fact, we think you should just stay until Tim graduates and gets a job out here. Actually, Tim called and suggested that. Yeah, I remember now - I forgot to give you that message. Just ask Weston; he will back me up.
Well, you can't blame Gangy for trying . . .

Tim Anderson said...

Now you wait just a minute there, Gangy... If she stays that long, I think I'll die from too many M&M breakfasts long before I graduate. You can have them for now, but I want them back...

josh said...

I've taken Cali to Merrymead for ice cream a grand total of ONE time and she can't stop talking about it. I think they must have spiked the Graham Slam ice cream with crack because she's been planning/plotting/scheming to get back there ever since!

Liz Johnson said...

I think it takes 2-3 days for kids to adjust to just about anything. I'm so glad that things are going well now and that you're able to sleep.

Also, I'm not even kidding, I dream of being able to live in or near Lansdale someday. That is my favorite part of the country, PERIOD. I'm so jealous!

Eat some Utz chips for me, and shoo-fly pie if you can. AAAHHHH PENNSYLVANIA I LOVE YOU!

Abbie said...

Ya know, I've never been to PA, but I've always wanted to go and I try to convince Forrest that we should live there when we grow up. After reading this, I feel like that would be a good decision. And we could read the Distorter.

Headle said...

Jean! It sounds like you are having a BLAST there in PA!! I'm sad Tim can't be with you but happy that you have so much love and attention from your family. PA sounds like such a fun place! :)