Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Photography 101

Well... what a difference a good camera makes!!! The new camera is here, and we've been playing with it for the past several days. Which means, Jean has undergone a crash course in basic photography! Yeah, I've never taken a photography class, and I know nothing -- NOTHING -- about it. ("Durrr... point and click, right?") Tim's been trying to teach me, but I'm kind of a slow, stubborn, easily distracted student. Nevertheless, it's been eye-opening.

For instance, did you know (of course you did, you're NOT retarded) that taking a great picture means basically accounting for two things: light and motion? Supposedly, the "aperture" relates to light (wider aperture = brighter picture, narrower aperture = dimmer picture), while the "shutter" relates to motion (fast shutter speed = crisp picture, slow shutter speed = blurry picture). Then, with those two things working together in the correct ratios, you get the picture you want. Who knew?? ... Um, EVERYONE except me, hahaha.

So, I'm learning. Here are a few photos and samples of our learning:

This is the very first picture that Tim took on the new camera (naturally of the most beautiful thing in our entire world):
And here's one of my first pictures, of Weston in his stroller at the zoo. This is the raw version:
And this is the processed version (even if we're not the best photographers in the world, at least Tim is a Photoshop genius):
Here's a waterfall at the zoo, utilizing a super-fast shutter speed (but only as fast as the amount of light would allow, I learned):
And here's the same waterfall, using a slow shutter speed (and thus allowing in more light as well):
Woo! I was on a roll!! Aside from all the photo experimentation, it was a pretty typical trip to the zoo. Weston wore his leash:
And he pushed around his stroller:
And he ate some snacks:
And we gazed at some lovely zebra hindquarters (seriously, what's a trip to the zoo without it):
Later that day, we went to Shane's Inspiration, which is pretty much the greatest playground in all of L.A. We continued with our photo experimentation:
For instance, our old camera (bless its little heart) could NEVER capture a picture like this:
Or like this:
Because Shane's Inspiration is an accessible playground, most of the structures accommodate wheelchairs, which means that Weston can run and explore and play on his own, without having to stop and get help from us with going up stairs and what not. I'm lovin' the independent play!!!
And I think he was lovin' it too:
That night, Tim and I stayed up much too late playing with our camera some more. (I took this picture of him -- isn't he adorable??):
Then I took this picture, with a slow shutter speed. It's Ghost Tim!!
Then I practiced with the focus, while Tim held up random items like the sport that he is:
We went outside and took a bunch of pictures of the intersection near our house. Tim processed this one, and as much as I hate living by a big intersection, it looks almost pretty here ("pretty" in a city kind of way, mind you):
Then we came back in and played with a low shutter speed + Tim's mini lightsaber keychain. We waved around the mini-lightsaber in the dark while the other person held the camera steady. Here's Tim's secret message:
And mine:
Next we tried the "creative" settings on the camera, like the portrait setting. The cool thing about this setting is that it takes pictures over and over again in quick succession. We got a LOT of weird faces from trying this... this is probably the most normal of all of the "portraits":
And finally, I practiced the extreme close-up (in this case, with our mini-tripod). This will be a good technique to use for all the cute cupcakes I eat!!!

16 comments:

Chris said...

Great pictures! I remember trying out a whole bunch of different stuff when I got my new camera, only Tim wasn't there for me to process them. But I got over that...

My only complaint is, and I don't know if it was just bad lighting, or maybe Tim added it later with Photoshop, but it looked like Weston was wearing a leash at the zoo. Hmm?

dietcokegrrl said...

YAY for a new camera! And thanks for the photography lesson. Guess I am retarded too because I didn't know any of those things. But you can probably tell that by the quality of my pictures...

Abby said...

Fun! Yeah, I think I could use a crash course too. You now know more than I do, I'm sure. I just take Eric's camera, make sure it's set to automatic, and go!

What kind of camera did you get?

Tiff said...

*jealous*

Dave would never sit through a session of me experimenting with a new camera.

And please, please, PLEASE start videotaping those moments where Tim thrashes his head around a la' "Ghost Tim" (& that one picture from a past ward activity). I want to see that in live action... those still shots just tease me.

And "Poop" - ha.

Lesley said...

That is so cool. I want to write secret messages with glow sticks!

Weston is way more little boy than baby. He looks more slender and his face more mature! How does time pass so quickly? Thank goodness for a good camera to catch it all!

Liz Johnson said...

Poop written by a glowstick. That is pure joy, I tell you.

The Hyer Family said...

Welcome to the world of better pictures...beware--it's addicting!

La La Land said...

I am so excited for you! I love photography (not that I'm good at it), and just like Shannon said, it is VERY addicting! So, tell us what kind of camera you got!

Jean said...

We have a Canon Rebel something-or-other... we like!!

megan said...

yay jean!! so excited for you!!! I love that you are getting so into it! you are on your way to pro!

how i want a nice camera!

Lisa said...

Man, you guys are so awsome. FYI, I didn't know any of that stuff about cameras. Oh, what I learn at Tim and Jean's blog!

Dude, I need to find an accessible playground around here--that would be awesome!

B Brown said...

ok, pretty freakin cool pictures. I had no idea what a nice camera could do.
Where did you get the leash? It's clearly over-due for us to get one. the concept of "stay net to Mommy" is lost on Max.

Headle said...

You two are so creative!! Tim has some mad photoshopping skills!

The poop picture is just too funny!!

I really like your pictures, Jean :) And as usual, Weston is as cute as ever!!

daMawma said...

My "point and shoot" brain salutes your advanced skills. Now, please add another length of least for your offspring (even my cats get 10 feet).

La La Land said...

That's what I have! :)

sachia said...

Good camera pictures are the best...haven't learned how to do anything but leave it on automatic and those have been fabulous so far. This gives me motivation to learn more.....I love good pictures!