Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Mama's First Earthquake

Hey, this morning I experienced my first* earthquake!!!

Here are some tidbits of my personal reflections about it:

(1) When I was preparing to move to California 3.5 years ago, I was a little excited about the prospect of earthquakes. I knew they'd be nerve-wracking, but I also figured they'd probably be thrilling and a little fun. As it turns out, earthquakes are terrifying. TERRIFYING. There are few things more frightful than something as firm and true as the ground literally shaking and rumbling beneath you. No wonder I added them to my Be Afraid list. After the quake, I continued to lie in bed and think how quickly and easily I could die there. Rumble rumble, uh-oh, I just got smushed by the floor above us. (Haha, sorry, that's a little morbid.)

(2) The Earth is very, very powerful. We humans enjoy our ability to conquer or at least manipulate nature and/or natural processes to our liking (and believe me, I'm one of them). But earthquakes?? There is NO stopping them. There is NOTHING that we can do to prevent them. The only mitigating factor that we've discovered is how to develop more seismically sound homes, buildings, and bridges. This morning's earthquake was only a 4.4-magnitude quake, but to me it still felt extremely powerful. I can only imagine what a "big one" would actually feel like, and how helpless we would all be.

(3) Earthquakes are quick. Tim and I only had enough time to be roused from a deep sleep and to lift our heads before it was already over (at which time I asked, "Was that an earthquake?"). In my mind, I always pictured myself jumping from the bed at the slightest tremor, racing into Weston's room, pulling him from his crib, and then leaping out the window (in slow motion) while our apartment crumbles and explodes behind me. (I guess in that action-movie sequence, Tim manages to get out on his own, because he is unaccounted for, haha.) But really, during the next earthquake, I'll probably only have time to raise my head and wonder if it's an earthquake again before it ends.

(4) Tim and I are terribly ill-prepared for a disaster. As members of a church that makes emergency preparedness one of its top priorities, we are pitiful examples. In the event of a big quake, there would be NO water and NO power. I wouldn't have diapers or wipes for Weston. I probably wouldn't even have shoes to walk around in, if it happened during the night. I was chatting with a girl this morning who lived in Northridge during that big earthquake in the 1990s, and she said that it took a day or two for the American Red Cross to arrive with food, water, and supplies. So, heads up, Jean: it's time to get that 72-hour kit put together. PRONTO!

(5) On a less dire note, I wonder if animals can sense impending earthquakes the same way that they can sense thunderstorms. And what about earthworms, which actually live IN the earth?? ...Okay, I just googled it, and apparently animals might be able to. That's good enough for me; when I make my 72-hour kit, I think I'll keep a dog in there, too. (As for earthworms, it is reported that they sometimes come to the surface when there is seismic activity. But then again, earthworms are really, really stupid.)

*Okay, technically I was around for the summer 2008 earthquake, but I was driving in my car and didn't feel a thing. So, it doesn't count. :-)

11 comments:

Liz Johnson said...

SCARY, right? I've felt a few, and it really is terrifying just how little control we have during that entire thing. Also, if they start when you're awake, they feel like they last FOREVER (at least to me). I felt one in Mexico that was supposedly only 45 seconds, but I would have sworn to you that it was five minutes long.

My 72 hour kit is buried somewhere in the back of my storage closet. And it probably doesn't have very good food (or water). I should get on that, too.

Lisa said...

How scary!! I've never been in an earthquake. My mom grew up in California and just kind of talked about them as a way of life, but I'm sure I'd be scared. We have 72-hour kits, although I think I made them when Jonathan still only had formula. SOO... I should probably update those ;)

Tiff said...

And here I was thinking, "That's it, Earth? That's all you got?!" Guess that's the tainted perspective of a CA girl. /shrug

I suppose if I were to get caught in a blizzard, our roles would reverse and you'd be slapping my crying, wussy butt silly.

And yes. Dogs can sense it. I was awakened last night (this morning) by the neighbor dog freaking out about 5 seconds before the quake actually hit.

Deidra said...

Make 72-hour kit preparation a group activity. It's so much more fun to do with a group of friends, plus you have to plan for it (which means you're more likely to do it) and you're accountable to others. Why not host a 72-hour kit par-tay?

Headle said...

I loved reading your thoughts about this. Its so true. Its so easy to feel like we have a good measure of control in our lives but something like an earthquake is so humbling.

I felt a few little ones on my mission, in Taiwan. They were never super scary but enough to remind me who's in charge :)

Thanks for the reminder about 72 hour kits too! Our kit's contents are spread throughout the house and in a real emergency, we wouldn't have time to find them. I'll put it together this week. Great idea!!

Tiffany's comment made me laugh! Ha ha!! Too cute :)

Emily said...

oh my goodness Jean, we are so ill prepared too! we need to get with the program and last night's quake was just another reminder. I heard a pop but was half asleep, then Jared woke me up and said it was an earthquake. I totally have the same idea of grabbing the baby and making it safely out! Glad it was so small though.

Lalee Photography said...

Ooooh, an earthquake! I have to admit I'm still in the "earthquakes sound dangerous and thrilling" camp having never been in one. Although Mike and I watched 2012 last night and all night I had dreams about surviving disasters. Then when I woke at 2:30am and laid awake for the next 5 hours (pregnancy insomnia is awesome) I thought of all the things we would need for our 72-hour kit! No lie! Now with this post, all signs are pointing to "make that kit lauri!". But seriously, I'm so glad you guys are OK!!!

The Hyer Family said...

Seriously, that was a short one...they definitely come longer than that so perhaps you'll get another chance??? Glad we're all OK!

James Cramer said...

Hey Jean, well I'm glad you didn't have to jump through the window with Weston in your arms as the house crumbles, lol. But if that ever does happen make sure to grab your video camera as you jump out, as fans of you and Tim's blog we have a right to see footage, just kidding. I'm sure you three will be fine.

Abbie said...

Crazy! Crazy! Crazy! Wake up call to all of us, really. We don't have much. I excuse it with "we don't have room." bad abbie. I think you should still try and practice jumping out the window and make sure someone has a camera.

B Brown said...

Come on, it was barely a 4.0? You east coasters scare easy ;) (I grew up in No. Cal where I remember several large quakes and drills 4 times a year at school)

3) That's totally how I picture it for a big one. I rescue the boys, Mike is on his own.

4) you can come share with us. I have 72 hr kits for Mike and I and just started on getting more emergency gear for the family. We could probably last a week when we share it. It's still one of my goals to get better prepared w/a true emergency stash.

5) Both our dogs started acting weird and barking and running out the doggie door then back in abotu 30 minutes before the quake. My dog growing up used to do the same thing. I'l call you next time they act that strange.