Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Why... Why Would You Go and Say That...

There's an article on MSN today entitled "Moderate California Quake a Drill for 'Big One'." Why... why would they say that?? Seriously. What the heck. Now I have a whole new reason to be fearful on a daily basis, which I can add to my existing BE AFRAID list. (A few of the items on the list include: terrorism, crime, kidnappings, fires, global warming, mercury in tuna, BPA, lead paint from China, flesh-eating bacteria, trans fatty acids, alien invasion, Skynet, Decepticons, the Goblin King, and of course the Dark Side of the Force, which you should never underestimate, etc. etc.) Stupid news. Stop adding so eagerly and so often to my BE AFRAID list, please.

Anyway, I think that the title of the article inspires enough fear in our Californian hearts to continue reading, don't you? Here's a portion of the text:

"To prepare for the "Big One," scientists and emergency planners in the fall will hold what is billed as the largest earthquake drill in the United States. It will be based on a hypothetical magnitude-7.8 temblor. Earlier this year, scientists calculated that California faces a 99.7 percent chance of a magnitude-6.7 quake or larger in the next 30 years."

Well that's just GREAT.

9 comments:

lyndsey said...

haha you are hilarious...i especially love your be afraid list. don't worry...they've been saying that stuff for years. we'll always be living in fear of the "big one" but who knows, you could get killed by tuna mercury tomorrow and the quake wouldn't even matter. just make sure you get your emergency preparedness kit ready :)

Melissa said...

First earthquake? Scary isn't it? Love the afraid list! I share some of the list, especially the dark side of the force... something to always look out for. By the way, love the David Bowie picture. Labyrinth is one of my all time favorite movies. I know I am a nerd and proud of it!

daMawma said...

Regarding your BE AFRAID LIST, don't forget the childhood terror of bug pee on fresh fruit. I must say, though, that you were totally UNAFRAID of scooping up live field mice who were carried into the house by our cats.

dana said...

"You remind me of the babe. What babe? The babe with the power..."
Yes, I would be afraid of the Goblin King too.
I grew up here and I still fear The Big One.

Lisa said...

Oh man, you crack me up. I seriously laugh out loud and look ridiculous when I read your writing. John just now said it best, "I wish we would've hung out with them more before." So true. But now you live in California, and you're going to get sunk into the sea. Dang.

Wendi said...

I'm so glad you posted the picture of the Goblin King. Ah the memories. What if you made a house out of jello? Perhaps the jiggling would protect you. Just an idea.

Liz Johnson said...

My brother-in-law recently showed me an article that predicts that Yellowstone is overdue for a massive eruption, which would basically kill off life on most of North America. Whether that's true or not, I'm a little freaked... and researching real estate in New Zealand.

Headle said...

You are always welcome to come up North a few hundred miles :D We'll take ya in!!!

Tiff said...

Ha ha. Welcome to SoCAL! I thought about you guys right after the quake, and wondered what you thought of it. To tell you the truth, it wasn't as much a big deal as they are making it out to be. Maybe I'm numb from growing up here... but trust me... they can be much bigger!

They've been warning us about the "BIG ONE" since I was in kindergarten...

... it's really nothing to worry about. And this coming from someone who has the most dramatic, biggest fear of quakes you can have. Trust me. ;)