Thursday, April 29, 2010

Sooooo... Tulsa.

Evidently we are moving to Tulsa.

(What? Tulsa? Yes. Tulsa.)

So, it looks like Tulsa will be Chapter 3 of the forthcoming book, Tim and Jean’s Bizarre Habit of Randomly Hopping around These United States. (That’s following Chapter 1: “From Pennsylvania to Utah: Three Years at BYU,” and Chapter 2: “From Utah to California: Three and a Half Years at Art Center.”)

Here is the extent of my knowledge of Tulsa, as of two weeks ago:

-It’s somewhere in Oklahoma.
-(crickets chirping)

Here is the extent of my knowledge of Oklahoma, as of two weeks ago:

-It’s north of Texas.
-There was a horrific bombing there.
-It’s a state AND a musical.
-Its postal abbreviation is “OK.”
-My friend Megan lives there.

Yep, that’s pretty much it. So, here’s the background story of how all this went down:

-Ever since Tim’s post-graduation job offer disappeared along with the rest of that studio, we’ve been in a mad dash to find something else. We’ve contacted literally hundreds of studios around the country and around the world, inquiring about both full-time and freelance work opportunities. For a while, the pickings were slim and the Despair-O-Meter was high. But eventually, all our constant-contacting-people-all-the-time started to pay off, and Tim found some freelance gigs. Along the way, there were also a few tiny, hopeful job leads that never materialized (here in LA, San Francisco, Albany, Montreal, and even Slovenia, haha!).

-One of the places for which Tim did some freelance work was a video game studio called 2015. He did a few pieces for them, they paid him, and we thought that was the end of it. Then, while I was searching job sites online, I happened to see an opening at that same studio for a 2D Artist. I told Tim, “Hey, it looks like that place has a job opening. You should look into that!”

-So, he contacted them. And they thanked him. And then they called him for a phone interview. And they liked him. And then they flew him out for an onsite interview. And they continued to like him (apparently), because they made him an official offer. We ironed out some of the details, and then this afternoon we said “OK!” (Haha… get it? Hahahahaha.)

So anyway, we’ve done a lot of research about Tulsa since then. Apparently it’s in the northeastern quadrant of Oklahoma. For its part, Oklahoma is just south of right-smack-in-the-middle of the country:


So, naturally (…Tulsa?), I’ve had mixed feelings about this.

Positives:
-We’ll have health insurance again. (For the past four months, I’ve been pleading with God for our safety every time one of us has stepped out of the house.)
-Tulsa is a very affordable area, especially compared to LA. (In other words, maybe someday if our student loans don’t kill us, we’ll actually be able to buy a HOUSE like all our other grown-up friends do.)
-Ten to 15-minute commute times sound so fabulous that I almost don’t believe it.
-Oklahoma kind of reminds me of Ohio… and I LOVE Ohio. (You can’t go wrong with the “O” states… well, I'm hoping.)
-In some mystical way, I feel like we’re circling around the country on our way back towards Pennsylvania.
-They’ve got Chick-Fil-A, Krispy Kreme, Carl’s Jr. (wow, we are SO healthy), and lots of ginormous superstores.

Hesitations:
-Tulsa spelled backwards is “a slut.”
-Tornado Alley!! (Whether with earthquakes or tornadoes, the earth is trying to kill us.)
-Once again we are moving to a town where we have NO family members or personal connections (except for friends-of-friends and what not). Why do we keep embarking on these journeys to completely new places? Maybe someday we’ll move to a place that I’m actually familiar with.
-It’s really hot in the summer. Like, really, REALLY hot. No, I mean REALLY HOT.
-There is no Ikea, Trader Joe’s, Costco, or CafĂ© Rio.
-THERE IS NO DISNEYLAND.

Anyway, we’ll be leaving sometime in May… we still have to get the specific scheduling figured out. And thus begins the “Go Everywhere, Eat Everywhere, and Do Everything That We Love in this Area ASAP Before We Leave” operation. We just went to Disneyland yesterday, and it was very sad to realize that now our visits are numbered (especially since our annual passes don’t expire until August).

Also, another huge negative is saying goodbye to friends here. All of you. I love you all. The other night as I was thinking about things, I realized that I’d actually have to say goodbye to my friends, and that felt like a punch to the gut. I hate that part. At least there are blogs… that’s the only consolation.

But on a positive note, I just want to publicly say again that God’s love for us is wondrous and immeasurable. I am amazed at how many wonderful things have happened during the moments of our despair these past few months. Wow… every time I think about it, it hits me again. God is great.

Sooooo… I have to click “Publish” now, and I really don’t want to, because then all this will be very real. And I apologize for not telling you all in person about this. We’ve only told our families, our landlord, and the Stake YW President so far (because of my calling obligations). Anyway, now everyone finds out at the same time, I guess. Surprise! Team Anderson is taking Tulsa!

30 comments:

Liz Johnson said...

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!!!!!!! And you will love it! It will be a new adventure! And tornadoes are lame, but the accompanying thunderstorms are AMAZING. You will love it.

DUDE, you will only be 12 hours away from me!!!!!!!!!!! You'd best believe that is total road-trip distance. Expect a visit from Team Johnson in your future!!!!

(also, get to know the lawyers in Tulsa so that we can move in next door. mmkay? thx).

chartie said...

What a great adventure! Good luck with the move!

We'll be in Lafayette, Indiana come August, so we'll kind of be neighbors! Come visit us and/or we'll come visit you.

Lesley said...

YYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAY! Congratulations. This is just such GREAT NEWS!

I have a feeling that you will love Tulsa! I can't wait to hear more! Will you go out before the big move?

Tiff said...

Ok - so to balance out all of the above and stupid, capitalized "YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY"s up there, I will now offer up my educated opinion on the matter:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Boo. Boo. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Not that I'm mad that Tim got a job. I mean, yeah, that part is awesome. And you guys never struggle at making friends, so I wouldn't worry about that. And cost of living? Yeah. That is major points on your side.

But BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! (Not that we ever really hung out nearly as much as we SHOULD have considering you are one of my favorite post-adolescence-in-the-same-period-of-life-as-me bestest buddies) but STILL!!! (imagine me saying "still" like a pouting valley girl, almost in two syllables like this: "STI-YALL!")

*pout*

:'(

Congratulations you guys.

.... *sulk*

Headle said...

Tiffany comment is adorable! I'm sure all of your Californian friends feel the exact same way!!! Its true too, you guys are awesome at making friends wherever you go!

If Lesley has been to Tulsa and thinks you are going to like it, that's a very good sign :)

CONGRATULATIONS Andersons!!! What a relief!!!!! This is fantastic!!!!

Moving is always FILLED with mixed emotions but I love how you recognize the Lord's answers to your prayers! Your faith is always so strong.

Now go celebrate!!! It might be time for some of your favorite CUPCAKES!!! :)

The Hunt House said...

WONDERFUL NEWS!!!!!!!!!! Such a fun new journey. You are soooo the kind of person to love and thrive wherever you go! I was so happy to hear about this.

Emily said...

How exciting you guys! But, wow! such big changes. I know you will make lots of new friends and there are many great adventures in store for the Anderson's!

p.s. the first bullet under "hesitations" made me laugh so hard I had a coughing fit (getting over a cold) haha!

p.p.s. yes, thank goodness for blogs!

Lalee Photography said...

Yessssss! You're gonna be THAT much closer to PA! haha :) You have to take a picture of your very first tornado, you know, from a safe location and all. And now we can come visit you in a super new fun location! It is my goal to visit you in all your fun living locations :) Oh I'm just so so so excited for you guys that all the worrying is over and you'll have health insurance again. :) It will be SUCH a fun adventure!!! I love you guys!!! YAY you!

lyndsey said...

yay! jean, congratulations! this is a perfect example of prayers being answered in an unintended [and adventure-inducing] way. and shoot! at least megan will be inside the same state! it's practically a pasadena reunion.

can't wait to hear all about it. i'm sure you guys will do great...and i seriously LOL'ed at the slut thing. hahah. congrats to tim & team anderson!

Abbie said...

YAYAYAYYY!!! Congratulations!!! That is so so so so exciting! You have a job! A real job!! Tulsa! Tulsa is awesome. (I've never been, but I hear good things). And I really like the state just under OK.

PS I don't any of will be turning into a slut while you live there.

Abbie said...

I mean "I don't think any of you will be turning into a slut while you live there."

La La Land said...

At first I thought this was a joke. You know, like on Friends when Chandler came home and told Monica they were moving to Tulsa? But, it is real! Holy Cow! I am so sad that you won't be in P-town anymore when I come visit. You are one of my favorite people (and one of the best VT I've ever had). BUT, congrats on the job. I know how hard you guys have been searching, so this is so great.

And at least we have blogs... can't wait to see all of your OK adventures online!

megan said...

oh my goodness!!!!! I about died!! Are you serious??? You are coming this way??? WOOHOO I'm excited!!! We MUST get together!! We will be about an hour and 1/2 away from each other....come on, you did it for cafe rio, you can do it for me :-)

There are a lot of negatives about coming here (like what you said--disneyland, trader joes, etc)...and the "a slut" one I'd never noticed but laughed out loud at. But, we have really loved it so far!!! And we are far from all of our family and friends as well. I know tulsa and okc will be different, but I'm sure tulsa is great too!

Call me, email me with any questions!! You can always stay at our house if you need to!!!! So excited that pasadenan's are heading this way!

Abby said...

Noooo!!!! Oklahoma?! Okay, seriously I am REALLY excited Tim got a job and that you'll have insurance again. That is AWESOME. But...we were so hoping it would keep you here near us... :(

On the other hand...my older sister is moving to Ft. Sill, Oklahoma this summer! So now we have TWO reasons to visit Oklahoma! :D

I think this definitely calls for another Han-nut-son get-together though. And if you need some extra babysitting with the boy so you can focus on packing or "hurry-up-and-visit-everywhere-you-love", give me a call!

dietcokegrrl said...

Really? REALLY?? You're leaving us??! :( Well, I suppose it IS for a good reason and all...but really?

Boo.

We're going to miss you guys, but I guess having a job and insurance is more important, right? :) I'm excited for your new adventure and yes, YAY for blogs!!

Lauren said...

So, my first thought was, how fitting? Tulsa backwards is "a slut." Okay, it wasn't really, but I'm still laughing about that one.

My second thought is yeah!!! I'm so excited for you. Congrats on the job, the move, the new adventure. Cheapness really does help. A lot. And, I hear Houston is a really great vacation spot and it's only 12 hours away. Now, if only you knew someone who lived there you could stay with...

Lauren said...

Oh, wait, I mean 8 hours. EIGHT HOURS! We should be your first stop!

Lisa said...

Yayyyyy!!!!!!! I'm seriously so happy for you guys. Tulsa! That's where the Lord wants you, and that's where you'll be. That's so GREAT!!

P.S. I LOVE your first "hesitation" You crack me up.

daMawma said...

Let's see, if you drove EAST from Tulsa for 12 hours, and I drove WEST from Lansdale for 10 hours, we would meet in Cincinnati...yay Corwins!

No Cafe Rio in Tulsa, but it has a Cracker Barrel and two Golden Corrals.

The Swindlehurst's said...

Oh YAY! Im so happy for you guys! Im still not sure if we will end up there but when I talked to you last at music class Weston was there and LOVED it so now we are just waiting and working out details, Ill keep you posted. Weird 3 girls from Pasadena ending up in"OK"..well not that we are from Pasadena but you know what I mean:)
Email me your email address so we can stay in touch, davisk20@hotmail.com.
We will for sure all have to get together!

James Cramer said...

Wow, Team Anderson is moving to Tulsa, that sounds exciting! I think that everything will be OK from here on out.

sachia said...

This is very exciting and sad at the same time. You have been so great in the time you have been here. Always the "cheerful" Jean. That is meant in a good way, you are really always so positive..it's catchy.

I am thrilled for the stability, the opportunity and the new adventure you are going to have. Chalk it up to a whopping blessing. Hoo-rah chica!

On the other hand, Weston can stay here with us while you guys move. Sienna cannot bear to lose another friend.

Kristen said...

Yay! That is exciting! Another new adventure. I've heard great things about OK.

B Brown said...

Ahhhh! I'm so happy and so sad all at once. I do have to say that Oklahoma is my favorite musical. Trust me, you'll be singing it soon :) And thankgoodness for yoru blog dedication...how else are we to stay on top of all Weston's shenanigans, your adventures & Tim's crazy episodes?

I smell a good-bye party...

Deidra said...

I second what Chris says. We'll practically be middle of the country neighbors.

Congrats on the job! :)

Rebecca said...

Congratulations times ten on the job--that must be such a relief for you guys! It takes a lot of courage to move to a new place where you don't know anyone. I wish you all the best in your latest adventure!

Rob said...

WOW, congratulations TIM!!!!! That's great.

I was born in Bartlesville (north of Tulsa) and lived there for 9 years. So there, now you know it's a FACT Oklahoma is totally rad. And has anyone mentioned that Oklahoma is shaped like a gun yet? That's pretty good too.

And I ditto everything Rebecca said, seriously. We're excited for you guys and wish you the best!

Bridget said...

Congrats on the job! And I bet you'll love Tulsa. Ben's sister and her family live in Bartlesville which is a smallish town about 35 minutes north of Tulsa. They LOVE it. We went out there for a week after Christmas and had a great time. They've been begging us to come visit in the summer. If we do, we'll definitely let you know since you'll be the only other people we know out there :)

Unknown said...

I am so happy for you guys. I have been so out of the loop lately since I have been out of town, so sorry for just seeing this! I am going to miss you. You are so sweet and just about the most positive person I have ever met. I know you will LOVE it there! Good luck with everything and let me know if you need any help while you are moving/packing. I would love to watch Weston for you or help pack, etc. Just let me know! Love you girl!

J&C Hale family said...

Congratulations! I'm excited for you! We're only 5 hours away from Tulsa, and about 3 from some of the church history sites. ;)