Monday, August 2, 2010

Can I Just Say...

... how much I LOVE other moms??

Jean's Silly Little Theory on Babysitting: I believe that every time someone provides babysitting to another mom, the contribution goes into a big old babysitting pot called the Circle of Motherhood, from which others are welcome to draw when needed. (Really, it's all about helping each other out.)

Of course, with all my job trainings and weekday work hours and dentist appointments, I feel like I've been drawing from the Circle of Motherhood MUCH more than I'm entitled these days. (I try to pay when they let me, but still, I know it can be a burden.) Other people have been helping me A LOT lately, and I am so, so, so, sososososososo SOOOOOO grateful to them.

Special shout-outs go to:
Kira, Kristy, Brandy, Faith (the grown-ups)
Shannon (the teenager)

... And I can't write a blog post on babysitting without mentioning this fantastic place:
Playtime Plus is what they call an "hourly drop-in center," where basically you can drop off your kid at any time for instant babysitting.

(Wait... hold the phones. WHAAAT??? HOW AWESOME IS THAT???!!! Why did they not have a place like this in Pasadena? And, in fact, why do they not have a place like this in every town in every state everywhere??)

Seriously, it's the perfect solution if a babysitter or friend isn't available and you really have to be somewhere without your child (such as a doctor or dentist appointment, a hair appointment, or even just your date with Kohl's). Playtime Plus has a big play room for big kids (called the "Tiger Room") and a smaller play room for smaller kids (aged under 3, called the "Cub Room"). There are toys and climbing structures and little cars to drive around, and all kinds of good fun. They even let you bring snacks or lunch for your child (which they will give at your designated time), and if you forget lunch, you can choose menu items from nearby pizza and burger places, which are delivered to Playtime Plus at a designated time.

So, basically it's the most clever daycare innovation ever. I love it. And best of all, it's only $5.00 an hour for ages 3 and under, and $4.00 an hour for older kids. The children are constantly supervised, and the three times that I've taken Weston now, it just seems like everyone's having a lot of fun playing with everything. None of the kids seems to care that they were dropped at a daycare; to them it's just an indoor playground. Usually, Weston is a little uncertain when I say goodbye to him, but (A) I leave him with his blankie, which works wonders, and (B) he always perks up when he sees all the playthings, and (C) he knows that I'll always come back for him after not too long. After all, you can only leave your child for up to six hours (even though that seems like way, way too long to me anyway). I'm letting Weston take it in stride, so I haven't left him there for longer than two and a half hours at this point, but it's nice to have the flexibility just in case.

And plus, he's always so excited to see me again. At one location in Tulsa, the Cub Room looks out to the parking lot, so as soon as I pull up, I can wave to him through the window (gosh, I love that big smile he gives me). At the other location, there's a little window into the Cub Room from the check-in area, and one time I glanced in there and saw Weston sitting at a high chair eating his crackers, just like I requested of the staff. When I called out to him and he saw me, he started smiling and pointing excitedly at me, while telling the staff lady, "That's my mommy!" Haha! He's cute.

So, anyway, I love Playtime Plus. And I love other moms. The end. :-)

6 comments:

Headle said...

What a relief to have such a great back-up plan, especially when you need a sitter last minute. It sounds like you already have some great friends there that are helping you out too! And of course everyone LOVES Weston :)

I'm sure the hours away from him are difficult but its so great to know he's having fun.

The Hyer Family said...

You're awesome--I love your posts. Sounds like you guys are busy with life and just plugging along. Weston is lucky to have such fantastic parents. And that place sounds awesome. Seriously, why isn't it out here???

daMawma said...

An upscale "kiddie kennel" is a great concept for busy moms. Are they located at a mall, or shopping plaza? If it has a trained and dependable staff for supervision, the kids are in good hands.

Abbie said...

That is the coolest thing ever! Hourly childcare! I would love that. I'm looking into it.

I'm glad Weston is being well taken care of by your peeps. Yay for friends that help! They are the best kind of friends and I think that's when you know their true, ya know.

Liz Johnson said...

AWESOME! That playtime thing is such a fabulous idea. And I'm so glad that you have such awesome friends out there. THANK YOU FRIENDS, FOR TAKING CARE OF MY FAVORITE JEAN!

Lisa said...

I am a big believer in the Circle of Motherhood myself, and I'm SO glad that you already have people there in Tulsa who take care of you! We love Jean! Thanks for taking care of her!!

And that place sounds AWESOME. Oh goodness, if they had something like that here I would SO go for it. I agree--why is this not a nationwide thing???