Thursday, August 19, 2010

Fun Eats in T-Town

I should blog.

I should really blog.

I should really write a blog soon.

THAT is the broken record that I keep hearing in my brain, for your information. Y'know how you start to feel a weight on your shoulders when you don't write a blog for a little while? Yeah. I have SO many things that I want to blog about, but with all the other little components of life always seeming to happen (dental drama, crazy new church calling, head colds, jobs, some desperately-needed housecleaning, etc.), I find that lately I have precious little time to actually do it. (And that's mainly because I will always choose sleep over blogging, haha!)

So, anyway, Weston is napping, and I don't have any immediate task to take care of, which means that I can finally hush my bothersome blog-conscience and go ahead and post about my recent yummy-ventures. :-) Onward!

(1) Ollie's Station

First of all, I really like the name of this restaurant. It's cute. And of course we had to go, because it's located next to a train yard just outside of Tulsa, and it is entirely TRAIN-themed (didja hear that, Grandalf?):
Of course, it is also located along Route 66, which means that, as Cars tells us, it is inevitably surrounded by eerily quiet stretches of abandoned shops and businesses:
Oh well. It's hard to stay up and running along Route 66 these days, but Ollie's Station has managed... because inside, it is a train hobbyist's dream!:



There are so many cool train decorations in this place! The tracks around the ceiling had real, working model trains, which was delightful for Weston to watch while we waited for our food:
We were also excited to see a nice, framed picture signed by John Lasseter himself, who dined at Ollie's Station during Pixar's Route 66 research tour for Cars:
(It's always funny to see little footprints of Hollywood here in Tulsa!)

Anyway, the train decor at Ollie's is fantastic, while the restaurant itself offers typical diner fare. I, for one, thoroughly enjoyed my meal because it was my first taste of fried green tomatoes. (TOWANDA!!!) The nachos appetizer that we ordered was dismal, and Tim said that his burger was pretty basic, but I'm still going to insist that we go back again. (Maybe with Grandalf next time?... but minus the nachos.) :-)

(2) Dixie Cream

Weston is a fiend for doughnuts, you guys. A FIEND... just like his mama! (I guess the doughnut doesn't fall far from the doughnut tree, haha!) Dixie Cream is a cool little place in Jenks, the town across the river, and I love it because it's right by the Oklahoma Aquarium. So, now it's pretty common for "aquarium day" to also be "special treat day."

Even though I like Krispy Kreme's glazed doughnuts best of all, I like Dixie Cream because they have something that Krispy Kreme doesn't: the crueller. (Okay, it's not quite a Tim Hortons honey crueller, but it's close.) Really, they just have a selection of fun, unique doughnuts that you can't find at a lot of the chains:
Which one to try?? WHICH ONE TO TRY?? Okay, that looks good:
Mmm... chocolately, sprinkley, doughnutty goodness:
(3) Chick-fil-A

How can I write a post about fun food without mentioning Chick-fil-A?? I LOVE that there is a Chick-fil-A here in Tulsa!! I generally don't find fast food to be very appealing, but I LOVE the original chicken sandwich at Chick-fil-A. I could eat it every single day. Plus, Chick-fil-A restaurants always seem to be much cleaner than other fast food places. And I also love that they're not open on Sundays, even though they could probably make a lot more money if they were. :-)

What's even awesomer about Chick-fil-A is that they have so many amenities for kids: kid's craft nights, kid's meals, plenty of highchairs, disposable placemats, wet naps, free balloons, and even little (free) cups of Cheerio's for the wee ones. Oh, and not to mention, THE PLAY AREA!!!

[Editor's Note: Lauren, who thankfully keeps me informed, informed me that there are two other things that I excluded in the original post: (1) a dealie-o where you can trade the toy from the kid's meal for ice cream instead (WHAT?! awesome!!); and (2) their famous milkshakes (which I have not yet tried... I am ashamed). Thanks Lauren! I cannot believe that I have not yet experienced all the wonderfulness that Chick-fil-A has to offer!]

One of my favorite daytime activities with Weston is going to Chick-fil-A for lunch and then letting him play in the play area:
This is what he does:
And this is what his parents do:
Hahaha! I love it. Hurrah for fun food!! (And mom, keep telling me about other places to try. You're one of my top restaurant consultants!)

11 comments:

Lauren said...

Did you seriously just mention Chik-fil-A without mentioning their ice cream-trade-for-the-kids-meal-toy or their out of this world shakes? If I'm being honest, Jean, that disappoints me.

Abbie said...

Oh my gosh, I want a doughnut so bad right now. So bad! And Chick-fil-a deserves an academy award for best fast food - I love that place!

I'm glad you hushed your blog conscience with food.

Kira said...

Awww....I meant to make it to Ollie's before we left. Oh well, at least I could live it through your blog. It looks like a fun place, Dawson would have loved it!
And just maybe one day I will blog too...just maybe!

Liz Johnson said...

Your Chick-Fil-A and my Chick-Fil-A have the exact same playplace. I am basically a regular there during the cold winter months. It is so awesome. AND they have Diet Dr. Pepper. Win-win-win.

Me need donut.

Lisa said...

I LOVE Chick-fil-A. My family teases that I chose this apartment because it's right next to a Chick-fil-A. I DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT THAT TRADE-IN THING EITHER!!!! What the heck? We keep getting these lame book things that Jonathan couldn't care less about, and we could be eating ICE CREAM? I will fix this pronto.

And I really, really want to take Jonathan to that train place. Just the fact that he would be entertained while we waited for food is worth it. Big time.

Oh, and I so know that bloggy-guilt-voice in your head. Mine comes if it has been about a week. Every time! Oh well.

Abby said...

Yummy! All this food talk. Now I'm wishing I had more cookies than the two I just ate...guess I'll have to make more!d

Dana Carlin said...

I would like to add that Chik-fil-A also makes pretty kick-A cheesecake (especially for a fast food joint). Cheesecake was one of my cravings when I was prego with Finn, and I found that it's expensive everywhere and most stores don't sell one slice. And other fast food places sell fake cheesecake. (Like the kind from a box.) But Chik-fil-A sells a yummy slice for a good price, and you can get fruit topping. (End rambling on cheesecake.)

daMawma said...

I'm remembering back to the blog about "Weston's First Prayer" where he thanks God for the donut store in Pasadena. I'm glad he has a new place to love in Tulsa now. Besides, what fun is an outing without a treat along the way? (For myself, I'll have one of each, thank you.)

Brooke said...

Does this mean I should blog again some day too?

James would LOVE that train restaurant!

Kristy Rolph said...

Thanks so much for the Blog and Pictures of the train restaurant.... It has given Noah endless hours of staring at all the trains. We even had to put one of them on our desktop picture!!! I hope you don't mind!!:)

B Brown said...

A train restaraunt? Whaaaat? Max's little head would pop off from excitement. Plus a nice fast food place where you can actually let your kids play on the equipment without fear of salmonella or worse? Priceless.