Thursday, August 26, 2010

Tulsa Air and Space Museum

The Tulsa Air and Space Museum was another really fun outing where I first had to lower my expectations to the "Tulsa" level again. (That is, down from the "Washington DC" level where I used to visit the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum, and down from the "Dayton" level where I used to visit the National Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB.) I've noticed that once you go ahead and lower those expectations a little, everything here is REALLY SWELL! Haha!

But I jest. After all, there were many interesting things to see at this small-ish museum, and I was delighted to learn that (1) there was also a very nice, new-looking planetarium on the premises, and (2) the planetarium shows were included with admission! Yay! I was also surprised to learn upon our arrival that admission wasn't $12 as stated on the website; it was really just $7, which made for a triple "Wheeeee!" Then later, when we actually got to the planetarium, I was informed that the dome projector was busted, so there was no actual "planetarium show." Instead, we just sat in our reclining chairs and watched a half-hour movie on the screen. Haha! So lame. But I guess that explains the $5 discount!

Anyway, Oklahoma (like all states, really) is very proud of its little slice of American aeronautics history, and this museum is a tribute to it all. (See how the picture of the museum below is all nice and sunny? Now imagine the 110-degree heat pressing on you from all sides and suffocating you. There! That's more like the actual summer-in-Oklahoma experience.)
At first I was disappointed when I saw that the museum is really just one big hangar (aside from the planetarium, which is in a separate building), but then I realized that there are actually lots of cool exhibits spread out in there. I imagine they are very interesting and educational for people who aren't chasing around rambunctious, giggly toddlers, and maybe one day I will actually read some of them. But until then, it was just nice to have a lot more to look at than I expected:


This, I presume, is the museum's sticker collection:
Doesn't this machinery just make your brain hurt? Someone actually came up with these:
My favorite exhibit was the F-14 Tomcat, which you can't look at without humming the awesome '80s music from Top Gun:

This happy little propeller plane also caught my eye:
And I love this, too... they just don't make 'em like this anymore!!
Weston had a good time with this attraction, which had lots of knobs and cranks and pedals to try:
He also got to have a turn pushing the launch button for the space shuttle! A sweet teenage girl asked him if he wanted to "launch" the "shuttle," and he was so thrilled. He got to sit on a stool and then press the buttons when she told him, making the "shuttle" "blast off" towards "outer space" (i.e., make a big loud noise and rise towards the ceiling a little bit).
However, Weston's absolute favorite was the "ball toy," where he would press a red button and then jets of air would lift up a few plastic/foam balls:
He did NOT want to leave this!
(I don't blame him, though. Even for a 29-year-old, it was pretty addictive.)
Finally, he got to have his own Maverick time in the pretend cockpit:
Bogies!!! Bogies at 10 o'clock!!! BOOM BOOM! Got 'em. :-)

9 comments:

Liz Johnson said...

I have never seen "Top Gun." Can we still be friends?

Also, is it just me, or does Weston look SUPER OLD these days?! Stop growing, child!

Deidra said...

I'm going to start channeling my inner-Jean and lowering my expectations more, it has to help Indiana's cause. Oh wait, so would getting out of my house and exploring new things. I guess maybe I should try the two at the same time!

Tim Anderson said...

Next time, I want to go, and I can be Weston's Iceman.

daMawma said...

Weston looks DELIGHTED to be there. Good choice! Hoping the hangar temperature was lower than 110 degrees. When does cooler weather roll in?

sachia said...

Hiiiii Jean,

I have been out of the blogging world for a bit and am not surprised that you don't miss a beat. Weston is getting so big that I just can't believe it. What a cutie pie. I hope your doing alright out there. We sure miss ya!

Lisa said...

I have to admit, when I saw "Tulsa Air and Space Museum" as the title of your blog post I giggled a bit, sure that you were joking. But they actually have one! The only one I know of/have been to is in DC. Anyways, it looks fun! They have one of those ball-floaty things at this ghetto Children's Museum over here, and we love playing with it.

B Brown said...

We'll just call Weston "Ice-Man" from now on. :)

James Cramer said...

Hey Jean, it sounds like you two had a lot of fun at the Tulasa Air and Space Museum.

La La Land said...

I heart Top Gun.

And the museum looks freakin' cool!