Thursday, August 5, 2010

Introducing A New Weekly* Installment!

It’s taken me awhile, but I am happy to say that I have learned something important about myself. I have learned that the only way that my creativity can really flourish is through dorky, dorky outlets. Let’s call it my dorkreativity.

Basically, I’m no good at paper crafts or sewing or singing or photography or mod podge or gardening or jewelry-making or decorating or quilting or crocheting or painting or piano-playing or any of those traditional outlets of creativity. I try, but it’s just… well… not quite there. I am, however, exceptionally talented at the alternative outlets of dorkreativity, such as:

-Making home movies (there are some GOOD ONES out there);
-Designing posters about nothing (like Ben & Jerry’s ice cream, for instance);
-Inventing AWESOME new songs and dance moves (Tim especially loves these two);
-Telling homemade, utterly hilarious jokes;
-Drawing stupid pictures; and
-Musing on the wonderment of the world.

So, in an effort to let my dork light shine, I’m starting a new weekly installment that will basically combine items #5 and #6 above. I like to call it, “Weekly* Dork Time with Microsoft Paint” because it’s indeed very dorky and because it utilizes Microsoft Paint (since, again, I’m not so much “talented” in that traditional sense to understand Illustrator or Photoshop or any of those real software programs). So, Microsoft Paint it is!! Sure, each one takes me six to seven hours to reach a gorgeous, mediocre completion, but it’s soooo worth it for my personal dorkreativity index. :-)

Enjoy, you privileged few! May our dork lights shine to all the world.

*And the word “weekly” herein refers to weekly, monthly, annual, or once-and-then-never-again, depending on my ability to channel my dorkreativity and then actually post a related blog. Ha! Sorry. I promise to be reliable in my unreliability.

Weekly Dork Time with Microsoft Paint: Edition 1
Click me

10 comments:

Lisa said...

Jean, I love you, and I love just about anything made on Microsoft Paint, because it always comes out looking hilarious. So thanks :)

Lauren said...

Jean, you are, without a doubt, the coolest person I have had the pleasure of knowing in this life.

And, by the way, please don't forget the sock pig we made. I like to consider myself a sock animal master and if you thought yours was bad, then that would mean mine is too, cause I can't tell them apart. Just cause Sherri called us "not real people" doesn't mean you don't have talent there.

Liz Johnson said...

THIS IS SO AWESOME. I am like you - not traditionally creative, but I like to think that perhaps the way I view the world as creative, right? Is that terribly arrogant? Yes? Well then I'm also good at being arrogant. Booyah!

The Hyer Family said...

I too, feel very uncreative...I can't do any of the things you listed...I've never even heard of Microsoft Paint! But, I LOVED your art project and joke--made me laugh out loud! you are the coolest!

Headle said...

Ha ha! More Jean, more Jean!!! We love our Jean! I'm already looking forward to the next installment :)

daMawma said...

You have been perfecting your dorkreativity for decades, for the merriment of all who know you. Let your dork light shine!

Kendra said...

This is fabulous. I hope you keep it up. :) I too am lacking in creativity genes, so I appreciate dorkreativity. And, um pig sock puppet?! I need to see this since pigs are my favorite animal! Maybe you should find it and do a post about a past dorkreativity moment. :)

Abbie said...

You really need to run for Coolest Person Alive because you would win easily. Do you want me to be your campaign manager? Because I'm a huge fan and I believe 100% in what you do. You can make the posters. What do you say?

James Cramer said...

Hey Jean,

You are the awesomest! Next week for your dorkreativity you should write a rap song:

'My name is Jean and I'm here to say, I love to get funcky in a major way'

(i.e., the worst rap song ever, but not as bad as the one me/you & Becky wrote)

B Brown said...

Countrywide would have.

Love the joke, love getting caught up on all the Anderson family happenings...
playtime, root canal, new job, fun Tulsa weather. You've been busy.