Thursday, December 9, 2010

Giving Thanks Is VERY Tasty

Happy (extremely belated) Thanksgiving (last month)! Here's a photo recap of our fun little Thanksgiving weekend!

First things first on Thanksgiving morning... getting the ol' bird ready to go. Here's a photo of Tim giving our turkey its annual mayo massage. (Is it just me, or is there something really smarmy about Tim's expression?)
Once the bird was in the oven, there wasn't much to do for a couple hours besides watch the parade. So, Tim and Weston went on a walk through the neighborhood. Here's Weston with his brand new winter coat. (I get sick of buying new clothes for him all the time, so I purchased a size 4/5 coat even though he's not even 3 years old yet. I love it in all its adorable ginormousness.)
Afterwards, I asked Tim to take a picture of my slowly expanding lower-midsection:
But of course Weston wanted in! (He's becoming more photogenic these days, if this qualifies as "photogenic.")
Also new this year: my fancy and extremely expensive hors d'oeuvres plate. Step 1: Purchase a cheese log from Walmart. Step 2: Place the cheese log on a plate. Step 3: Arrange crackers haphazardly around the cheese log. Step 4: Stop and eat whenever you walk by.
Aaaaaand finally... that BEAUTIFUL BIRD was done!!!
Here's the bounty. (It's nice to finally have a real dining room table. The past few Thanksgivings have been a bit of a logistics fiasco. Apologies to Chris for last year's wobbly, squashed, living-room Thanksgiving. Haha!)
Oh my gosh, you guys. We had the BEST idea EVER this year. (We're always trying to take Thanksgiving up a notch. I think by the time we're 60 it's going to be pretty much as awesome as it can get.) We ordered frozen rolls from TEXAS ROADHOUSE!!! Soooooo good, and so perfect for little turkey sandwiches later on.
As you can see, I arranged a nice little sampling for Weston. Y'know what he ended up eating for Thanksgiving? (1) A roll, and (2) a slice of pumpkin bread (which, by the way, was not technically even on the menu).
Oh well. At least this guy enjoyed the feast:
I am ALL about the Black Friday shopping, but I really didn't have a lot that I intended to buy this time around, so it was a bit of a mellow year. I did end up going to the Toys R Us sale, which started at 10:00 PM on Thanksgiving night. Here's how it played out:

9:40 PM: Arrive at the cold, dark parking lot and take my spot waaaaaaaay at the back of the humongous line. Listen to the people behind me talk about how they're going to stay up all night, hitting Toys R Us at 10 PM, Walmart at midnight, Kohl's at 3 AM, Target at 4 AM, etc.

10:00 PM: Doors open. Line starts to inch forward.

10:20 PM: Enter the store, grab a huge plastic shopping bag (I commend you, Toys R Us, for your brilliant planning), and make a mad rush around the store for desired items.

10:40 PM: Finish shopping, after having found 5 of the 9 things that I wanted. Get in line to check-out.

12:20 PM: FINALLY CHECK OUT. Yeah, I waited in line for almost 2 hours just to pay.

Fortunately, it wasn't all bad. I made friends with my co-liners, and I also found a $20 bill on the floor. Huzzah! (Don't worry, I made every effort to find its owner. I asked my co-liners, and told them to keep their eyes and ears open for someone looking for a $20. I didn't even pocket it; I held it in my hand the entire time I was in line, just to let its owner know that I wasn't assuming it was mine or anything. However, no one ever came looking for it, and even though I feel really bad for that person, it made my night.)

Anyway, after Toys R Us, I headed to Walmart to score a few cheap DVDs. The lines there were long and slow as usual, although the actual roaming-of-the-store wasn't too bad. (I commend them for splitting up their Black Friday sales into a midnight portion and a 5 AM portion. I strategically avoided the 5 AM portion.)

After getting a good night's sleep, I headed to Target and Kohl's the next morning around 10-ish. GREAT idea, if I do say so myself. I avoided the early-bird rush, but I still got all the sales prices, thanks to their huge inventories of sale items. I didn't even have to wait in line for very long at either store. Yay! All in all, a pretty darn good Black Friday.

That night was our traditional trim-the-tree-and-decorate-the-house night, which we commenced with some baking of Christmas cookies. Aren't these photos heart-warming?



Hahaha... what they DON'T show is Weston's sudden, mini-tantrum that erupted like five minutes later. Yeeeaaaah. At least we were able to document the pre-tantrum bliss. :-)

Tim spent quite a while setting up our ridiculously ginormous new Christmas tree, and then we attempted to decorate it with Weston's help, although that did not quite work. He just kept wanting to play with all the ornaments like they were little toys (which of course I totally understand), but it was getting a little unruly, so we halted the tree operation in favor of bathtime and bedtime for him. (As you've probably noticed, it's a bit of a trial to rein Weston in when he has his own plans. He's a stubborn, independent spirit, just like his mama!) Afterwards, we finished up:
And here's a photo of our living room -- a still life photograph, aside from Tim shaking his head as fast as he possibly could:

Hahaha!

10 comments:

Tiff said...

I miss you... and even your asylum-escapee of a husband.

Come back to CA. :'(

That is all.

Abby said...

I love seeing your living room! Now I have somewhere to picture you. :)

Weston looks so old in his awesome ginormous coat.

We miss you guys!

Lisa said...

Hahahaha, I love you guys. I think I'll always shake my head back and forth during pictures now. Or whip my hair back and forth, I whip my hair back and forth, I whip my hair back and forth...

Oops, sorry :) Weston's "photogenic" picture made me laugh out loud. I LOVE IT. That kid cracks me up. And you're right--he reminds me of Jonathan in a lot of ways. Including the stubbornness :)

Oh, and Jonathan has a way too huge coat, too. My mother in law got it for us, and I don't want to buy another coat inbetween! And Jonathan LOVES it. In fact, a few times he has asked to wear it to bed, and he always takes awesome naps when he's in it.

Headle said...

I'm in love with everything Tim and Jean! I always love your blog because I get to peek into the fun loving and creative world that is the Andersons! You both never cease to amaze me with your humor! Thank you for keeping me laughing! :)

Kira said...

You do the black Friday thing too! I totally would have gone to Toys R Us with you if we were there. I did the mistake of showing up last year to that same toys r us just a little after they opened (that year it was midnight) and the line was all the way at the other end of that whole shopping district, so I turned around and went home. So I'm glad you showed up a little early, so at least you could get some of what you were looking for!

daMawma said...

When did Tim sprout that mustache and beard? (Psychologists say that signals a major life change.) Perhaps it has something to do with...another baby on the way?!

Love the table decorations for your Thanksgiving spread, especially the multicolored tablecloth and the ceramic gobbler. And those roadhouse rolls look soooooo good! Weston will become more adventuresome for Thanksgiving tastes as he gets older.

You all look so healthy and happy, and your living room looks so "magazine" perfect. Come and decorate mine next.

Liz Johnson said...

Is Tim being Wolverine for the holidays?

I'm impressed with your turkey-making. I am too terrified to even try it. Major kudos.

Jared Blanco said...

I have to compliment Tim on one sweet looking beard. I vote fu manchu next.

James Cramer said...

Hey Jean and Tim, I'm glad you had a good Thanksgiving in your new home. That picture of Weston just standing there cracks me up. He'll be a good brother.

Abbie said...

Oh Jean, why aren't we neighbors?

You are such a grown-up! Turkey!?!? Amazing!

BTW, you look amazing! How are you even pregnant. Hot momma!

Okay, are you coming east for Christmas? We're staying here and I would love to see you again. Maybe I could come down there this time:)