Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easter Weekend: The Highs and Lows

LOW: All of us being sick for the past several days leading up to Easter. We've had to cancel several social engagements, which has been a major bummer!!

HIGH: Glazed doughnuts at the Lion's Club Easter egg hunt on Saturday morning.
LOW: Trying to enjoy glazed doughnuts while shivering in the freeeezing weather.
LOW: The most heartbreaking Easter egg hunt of all time. Instead of having a countdown to start the hunt (like they announced), a fire truck horn suddenly blasted and all the kids raced onto the field. Weston got scared, then hesitated, then got angry, then got really, really sad as all the eggs were snatched up by other kids within about 20 seconds.
So, so, so sad!
HIGH: Going to Coachman's Dinner & Pancake House for breakfast afterwards (it was huge and delicious, and no, I see nothing wrong with eating a doughnut followed by a full breakfast in the morning), and then visiting Toys R Us. Sure, Weston wasn't in a great mood at first, but he eventually perked up (especially when we told him that even though the egg hunt was a bust, the Easter Bunny would bring him a whole basket of treats JUST for him on Easter morning!). I think that that helped him recover from the trauma of the egg hunt...
HIGH: Decorating Easter eggs on Saturday night. That was our first family egg decorating activity!

LOW: Weston's mini-tantrum during the egg decorating. Sure, we're used to the mini-tantrums, but this kid is a firecracker! God love 'im.

HIGH: Searching for his Easter basket on Sunday morning!
HIGH: Finding the Easter basket inside his little playhouse!
HIGH: Receiving the beloved "chocolate toy" from the Easter Bunny. Oh, how he has coveted the chocolate toy!!!
HIGH: Hearing a couple of awesome, Christ-centered talks at church on Sunday morning, and hearing some awesome music from the ward choir.

HIGH: Attending the giant, annual Easter feast at Tim's aunt and uncle's house on Sunday evening. There were about 40 people there, and it was spectacular!!! Ham, funeral potatoes, rolls, salad, jello, veggies, mixed fruit, artichoke dips... OH, and about five different desserts. Mmmm...

HIGH: Seeing my good friend SHANNON at the Easter dinner!!! YAAAAAAAAAY! It's been almost two years since I've seen her, and it was beyond fabulous to hang out again (especially while enjoying such delicious nosh). I love that girl!!! And she lives in PROVO! She is yet another major "plus" to our recent move!!! :-)

11 comments:

Tiff said...

Oh, man. I wish I'd known you were going to try a community egg hunt.... I could've warned you. We did it last year, and my poor, petite Malia just couldn't compete with the 9-10 year old gargantuan kids who sped across the field, snatching everything in sight. She got one egg while a lot of other kids averaged at least 10.

Never. Again.

It gives me anxiety. Just like when I'm in line for the carousel and I become terrified the moment they open the gate as the parents dash like it's the APOCALYPSE so their stupid kid can have a specific horse! AGH! Malia has, literally, been tripped by full-grown adults before.

People + mobs + getting stuff = pure EVIL!

/off my soapbox

P.S. HAPPY EASTER!!!!!!! :)

daMawma said...

This was a fast posting, after an already busy day! We used to spend Easter vacation at the grandparents' in Ohio. But I remember the planners set aside different areas for different ages of kids. Poor Weston and his sad outcome. He didn't have a chance as a 3-year-old against older, greedier kids. I'm glad the tears turned to smiles on Sunday. Yay for chocolate!

Lauren said...

Oh, that picture breaks my heart! Sweet, sweet Weston.
I bet it was so nice being with family. Holidays with the fam is the #1 thing I miss about CA. No wait, the food. Then family.

Lalee Photography said...

AWWW!!! Poor Weston! That's just so heartbreaking! He was traumatized the poor thing. :(

It's funny, last night at dinner someone gave a toast and we all clinked glasses and there was like 5 minutes of pure panic from Lucy when she had to make sure she clinked everyone (sometimes even 3 times, just to be sure). It's was almost meltdown city when she didn't get to clink pop-pop for a 3rd time, "just to make sure". Holidays are so stressful for kids! Especially when giant meanies are hogging up all the eggs! It looks like you had a pretty darn good Easter overall though! And there were more highs than lows! :) YAY for that!!

Liz Johnson said...

Awww, poor kid!!!! I feel so bad for him!!! The good news is that I saw your belly on facebook, and girlfriend, you look hot!

(oh, Happy Easter!)

B Brown said...

Bummer about the egg hunt. Those things are so hard to organize, but a loud horn? Really? For toddlers? At least breakfast made up for it. Now I'm hungry...

Lisa said...

Awwww, poor little freezing Weston! That picture made me so sad. And I could totally see that playing out in my head. Jonathan probably would've just went and stolen some other kids' eggs, hahaha :)

Kendra said...

Oh my gosh, that is so so heartbreaking. What a sad Easter egg hunt. I'm so glad the E bunny was able to make it up to him. :) and I too am sad about our canceled social plans. Hopefully it will work out next week.

La La Land said...

Oh, I am SO SAD you guys missed our egg hunt. Weston would have loved it. No loud horns and no big kids! NEXT YEAR!

James Cramer said...

Hey Tim and Jean,

Well, now that Weston knows what to expect, I think that he will have more fun at next year's Lions Club Easter Egg Hunt. At least the Easter Bunny came the next morning, that's always good.

Headle said...

Weston is sooo CUTE!! The last picture of him opening his Easter present is precious!!