Friday, April 29, 2011

I'm Nesting with My Blog

I have a whole bunch of things that I've been wanting to blog about, and because my nesting instinct is in full force these days, I'm going to do them all at once!! (I have no idea when this baby is coming. I'm 38 weeks, and as of a week and a half ago, absolutely nothing was happening. Lately I've been feeling some mild pressure in the ol' lower abdomen, so maybe there will be some progress by my next appointment...?)

Anywho...

Blog #1: Sweet Tomatoes!! (aka Souplantation)

I love this place. It was on my list of "Things I'm Going to Miss" when we left California. And now we have it again!! Why it has a different name in Utah, I will never know. But it's still exactly the same...

Load up your plate at the huge salad bar, and then pay a flat fee at the cash register:
...then visit the hot foods area and load up with soups, baked potatoes, pasta, breads, fruit, and desserts!
But you know what makes Sweet Tomatoes EVEN better? Good friends! Like this lady!! (Yes, this picture is crooked and wonky. Yes, Weston took it. Yes, the pictures that I took all came out fuzzy. What's up with that?)
I originally met Lyndsey in California, and she's pretty amazing. Did you know that she is a super blogger? And that she runs a stationery blog, too? And that she makes wicked awesome stationery products? And that she runs half-marathons? And that she does freelance public relations for a number of clients? And that she interviewed Swarupa Katuka for the Mormon Women Project? And that she has an eight-month-old baby??

Yeah. I don't know how she found time to meet me for lunch, either, but she did, and I'm so glad. :-) Here are my favorite things about Lyndsey: she's really laid-back; she's really funny; she's really hard-working; and she's addicted to In N Out (and she got my addiction started, too, with the help of Doris). Oh, and of course I have to mention Mr. Jack, who is such a good baby and is FREAKING ADORABLE:
So, that was a great time!!! I love meeting friends with kids at Sweet Tomatoes/Souplantation, because you can get your food quickly and the kids stay happy. Plus, it's crazy delicious. The end.

**********

Blog #2: On Ducks

Once again, my need for animal interaction has resulted in another quasi-adoption of ferals. (In Pasadena, I fell in love with a couple of feral cats that hung around our neighborhood. Because they looked like they were starving, I started feeding them, and they instantly fell in love with me, too. Well, they fell in love with the food. But I pretended that it was me.)

There are several ducks that wander our neighborhood here in Murray. It's probably because there's a big pond at an apartment complex nearby, but for some reason, they love to mosey along our sidewalks and driveways over here. And a couple of them are repeat visitors to our backyard: Yes, I give them bread. They're just so darn cute, with their waddling and their humble quacking. They visit every day or two, and I'm secretly hoping that they lay eggs in a safe place in our backyard (while Tim is dreading it). Haha! I love animals.

**********

Blog #3: The Easiest Pie in the Entire World

Strawberry season is upon us once again!!! If you're like me and you're buying the huge, four-pound package of strawberries at Costco every couple weeks, then you might find yourself with a surplus at some point. Solution: strawberry pie!!! I can't believe how easy it is to make. Observe:

Gather the ingredients (pre-baked pie shell, strawberries, sugar, Cool Whip): Slice the strawberries:
Sugar the strawberries:
Stir them until they're good and saucy:
Plop into the pie shell:
And top with Cool Whip (DONE!):
Now, I know a lot of you readers are much more skilled than I am in your cooking/baking abilities. So, here are a few ways to make it more complicated, if you're hardcore like that:

-Make your own pie crust;

-Make your own whipped cream;

-Grow your own strawberries;

-Harvest and refine your own sugar;

-Train as a blacksmith and then forge your own pie plate.

**********

Blog #4: Red Butte Garden!

Yesterday was Arbor Day, and therefore, free day at Red Butte Garden in Salt Lake City. (You already know how I feel about FREEEEEE!!) This place is basically Salt Lake's arboretum, and it's much smaller than the L.A. Arboretum, but still very lovely, especially with the backdrop of the foothills: Weston and I spent the whole time exploring. We found the Children's Garden (which was packed with school groups), and then wandered over to the giant salamanders:
Weston raced through the kids' tunnel (which, I'm assuming, is usually covered with green leaves in the summertime):
...and Weston humored me when I repeatedly stopped to take pictures of the pretty flora:


However, he was MUCH more interested in his new waffle toy, which he clutched the entire time while saying over and over again, "I yuv diss!" (THANKS, AUNT DANA!!!!)
**********

Blog #5: Dinos

Finally, Weston got a couple of dinosaurs from the Easter Bunny this year, which brings his dino collection to five. The other day, I asked him what their names were. He responded:

"Iron" (a gray T-Rex);

"Hikes" (a dark green stegosaurus);

"Hopes" (a blue stegosaurus);

"Hoppisay" (a green ankylosaurus); and

"Menna-Mee-Neo" (a light green T-Rex).

I love that kid.

8 comments:

Liz Johnson said...

1 - I really, really love Sweet Tomatoes. Perhaps we should walk there in May, too, after we have eaten Cafe Rio for five straight days.

2 - I am so glad that Mr. & Mrs. Mallard have found a friend in you.

3 - I am totally making that pie TONIGHT for dessert. I might even make my own pie crust. Except, yeah right. Never mind.

4 - Weston, I yuv diss too. Waffles > Flowers ANY DAY OF THE WEEK, mah homie.

5 - Weston is a creative genius. I am commissioning him with a job to get Connor switched from Thomas trains to dinosaurs, for everybody's sake. Go forth, young Weston, and bring him hither to dinosaurs!

Lauren said...

Jean I knew you were lazy and all, but really? You don't forge your own pie tins? You should be so embarrassed.

daMawma said...

Dropping bread in your yard gives new meaning to the phrase "lucky ducks"...and lucky Weston to have feathery visitors.

James Cramer said...

Hey Tim and Jean,

Mrs. Jean that is a great blog, I'm so proud of you! I'm sure that Mr. Jack is proud of you too. Mr. Jack, he's like 8 months old, come on. LOL. You and your friends are awesome, I'm glad your having a good time, hopefully there will be many more ducks in your yard soon.

Tiff said...

I *heart* SouPlantation too! Dave hates it. He says it leaves him far too hungry for a place that's called a "buffet." (He hates salad and wants to know where the MEAT is). So I usually only go there 2x a year - during Priesthood session of Conference. HOWEVER - going to that place with two children and only yourself is HARD! SO I HIGHLY recommend ALWAYS having a fellow adult with you.

P.S. All your pie suggestions made me literally LOL.

lyndsey @ the stationery place said...

yeah! i love this post. hooray for souplantation/sweet tomatoes and for friend get-togethers. that carb loading totally helped me out :)

and way to continue to take advantage of all the great stuff slc has to offer. the next time i need an easy dessert i am making that pie, but i'll definitely forge my own pie plate first.

dietcokegrrl said...

YAY for Souplantation!! And with Lyndsey too!! lucky!

And thanks for the In-N-Out shout out :), I went there today with Krista and it was sooooo good!

I do read your blog even though I never comment anymore. My life is out of control stressful right now and I only check my Google Reader once every few weeks, so I feel like I have too much to read to leave comments for everyone, but I had to say hi!

Can't wait to meet that new baby! Enjoy your nesting. :)

Abbie said...

Weston is hilarious! I yuv that waffle toy too! And those names - awesome! Menna-Mee-Neo... I think we found the name for our next child! Thanks, Weston!

And HOW ARE YOU ALREADY 38 WEEKS!?!?! This is craziness! You're going to have two kids so soon!

Sweet Tomatoes AND strawberry pie...mmmmmmmmm...me want!