Monday, April 18, 2011

I Love Me Some Free Fun!

I'm pretty sure that "free" is one of my favorite words in the entire dictionary. Sure, there's the connotation of freedom and rights and liberties, but even more important is the definition of "things that won't cost me a thing." Oh the joy! Haha! My friend Kira and I got together with the kiddos for some fabulous free fun last Tuesday. First we visited the Clark Planetarium (free), then explored the Gateway (also free), and finally hit up Ben and Jerry's for their annual Free Cone Day (free free freeeeeee)!

Weston really enjoyed the planetarium, especially all the "destinies." (I think that he means "planets." I'm not really sure where that came from.)
There was also the cool, crazy, balls-on-tracks exhibit (it's a sciency thingie):

We paid a visit to the martian surface:

...and then flew in our spaceship back to the lunar surface:

After not too long, Weston did what he always does when surrounded by other kids: he inexplicably attempts to join in with them. Fortunately, these school-age girls were pretty friendly and they actually acknowledged his presence a couple times, which is more than he usually gets:

And then he met up with his buddies Katelyn and Dawson! Overly dark photo op!

Y'know what melts my heart...? When little kids HOLD HANDS!!! While we were walking around, I suggested that Katelyn and Weston hold hands, and they LOVED it. It took a long time for them to let go, and even now when they see each other, Katelyn still reaches for Weston's hand. SO CUTE!!!!!!! AHH! I just exploded.

After the planetarium, we headed to the "Olympic Legacy Plaza" (a.k.a. the spraying fountain area):

After a brief, chill moment, the kids started running laps around the fountain, which was just fine and dandy for me and Kira:

Then they started climbing on rocks. Kira took this as a cue to monitor their climbing, while I took it as a cue to just sit and relax and take the occasional picture. (Haha! Aren't I a stellar mom?)

Haha! Dawson... what a ham! (And note the sign: "Thank You for Not Wading or Climbing." Well, apparently that sign had NO idea what it was talking about, because we were TOTALLY climbing. Silly sign!)

Finally, we made our way over to Ben & Jerry's for Free Cone Day! (Can you believe that Kira didn't know about this? YOU know about it, right? Every April at B&J, baby!)


There were some very happy ice-cream eaters (the mess is always totally worth it):

... and some very enthusiastic huggers by the morning's end (haha!):

8 comments:

Lalee Photography said...

AWW! So cute! I need to learn how to find free things to do like you. You're like, the master. I just take Finley to Barnes and Noble and let her crawl around after other children and stare at them creepily. Haha! Weston is getting SO big! I can hardly believe it. He's so cute! It looks like you guys had such a fun day!! :)

Abbie said...

E&A hold hands all the time and every time I die of cuteness overload!

This post makes me so excited for my Utah trip!! Can we do free things together? I can't wait!! And I'll get to meet both of your kids because you'll have TWO KIDS!!!! Bah!!!!

Kira said...

Great Pictures! Dawson still talks about Ben and Jerry's. He'll wake up and ask, "Are we going to that place with ice cream with Weston today?"
I love the word "Free" too. We actually found free ice cream yesterday at Maggie Moos for tax day. I was totally going to call you but we found out about it when there was only like 20 minutes left of the freebies. Oh well, next time! Love the pictures of the kiddos!

Kira said...

P.S. I love the "Super Pregnant" post...it gave me a good laugh!

daMawma said...

I rather like the photo of Weston sitting on the moon rock and checking out the ladies.

The Swindlehurst's said...

This comment is actually about your last post, I was laughing so hard because Im pretty sure we have about the same due date and so I know EXACTLY how you feel! I secretly wanted to copy and paste it and put it on my blog because I couldnt have said it any better my self! You crap me up! So...we are getting down to the wire, are you feeling ready? Im feeling a little better now only because last week I got checked and was dilated to a FOUR! I instantly had a panic attack and came home and did everything..ha ha now the baby wont come till Im 42 weeks:) Anyway hang in there, oh and Im so glad you're enjoying UT! Eat some Cafe Rio for me!!

James Cramer said...

I think pictures of kids smiling, when you ask them to smile, are hilarious. i.e. the ice cream photo, lol.

Lisa said...

Oh my gosh, those pictures of them hugging and holding hands made my heart MELT! So stinking adorable. And I think I will now call planets "destinies." :)