Thursday, August 30, 2007

Good News! FINALLY.

So, Tim and I are delighted to share the news that we're expecting! The due date is February 17th, 2008, so I'm technically 15 weeks along at this point. Tim and I had been trying for a few months (following a previous "few months" of trying back in Provo in 2005), but it was a total and complete shock when a home pregnancy test came back positive a couple months ago. I just didn't think I could get pregnant, and I was at the point of being utterly clueless as to how women were possibly conceiving, when it was so elusive to me. I didn't think I was ovulating, because I'd been tracking my basal body temperature for awhile, and it was ALL messed up. (Sorry if that's TMI! I'm assuming that most of this blog's readership is female, because we've only gotten like two guy comments so far.) Anyway, I was about 9 or 10 days late, which has happened before, and slightly hopeful, but also knowing that I'm just not that lucky, I took a pregnancy test and was stunned by the result. (My journal entry that day reads like this: "HOLY FREAKING CRAP IT'S POSITIVE." Haha!)


I told Tim later that night, in the form of a homemade card that said "I Love You" on the front, and on the inside had a picture of a stick-figure Jean with a close-up to the tummy of an oven with a little bun in it. (I decided to convey the news in his preferred language of art.) He was shocked but really excited, which made me a little more excited too. That was June 22.

Nowadays, I'm in my second trimester, and honestly, not a whole lot has changed. No one ever told me this, but I've learned that the whole first trimester and part of the second is just one big long tease, with no changes in my body and, in our case, no one else even knowing. I still look exactly the same, although I feel like I might be on the cusp of maybe starting to show a tiny, tiny bit. However, since I have kind of a tummy already (let's be realistic here), I've read that I won't really start to look pregnant until 18 to 20 weeks. So, a little while longer to go... Fortunately, my first trimester was marked with only mild nausea (e.g., a breakfast burrito one morning had me lying on the floor muttering, "That was a bad choice..."), but I guess it's been going well so far. My chestal area was pretty sore, and I had some cramping, but nothing out of the ordinary. I have to go to the bathroom more now (which sucks at night), and I keep forgetting that there are certain things I'm not supposed to do (like eat lunch meat and hot dogs often -- which is tough because we have all these frozen corn dogs -- and sleep on my back or stomach -- which I love to do). I told Laura W. from church, who is also pregnant, that I'm not really sure how important all these little things are right now, but at least I'm minding the big things, like taking prenatal vitamins (which I've been doing for awhile anyway) and skipping Space Mountain and Indiana Jones (which is so very sad).

Anyway, we've seen many of our friends rejoice in parenthood, and we feel so blessed and so grateful that we have this opportunity ourselves. It'll still be a few weeks before we find out the gender, so in the meantime we've been calling the little tyke Tadpole-Leonard, because I think that Tadpole is a cute little nickname, while Tim insists on calling it Leonard. Oy. Even today, I still can't believe that I'm really pregnant... the whole thing is so crazy-weird! I've had two OB appointments so far, and also a first-trimester screen test. Everything seems to be going well so far. (But that doesn't keep me from worrying anyway. I mean, they don't really KNOW what's going on down there, y'know?) My first ultrasound at 10 weeks doesn't really even look like anything, and my doctor did it pretty quickly:

However, when I went in for the first trimester screen test a couple weeks later, it took about an hour until T-L was in the right position, and I got to stare at that little one on the screen the entire time!! It was all big-headed and wiggly and boingy. The doctor also let me hear the heartbeat, so that was a really special appointment. At my next appointment, they're going to do the AFP test, and at the one after that, another ultrasound and the gender-check.

So, that's our news. We're pleased as punch and tickled pink right now. If you'd like to share any advice or pregnancy stories (whether your own or someone else's), I'm all ears! I love all you guys. :-) Oh, and if you live in Pasadena, sorry if I've lied to you. We wanted to wait a smidge before sharing the news, which put me in the unfortunate position of becoming secretive. I'm so glad to be able to talk about it openly now!!!!! (Contented sigh.)

27 comments:

Liz Johnson said...

AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! I AM SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO EXCITED FOR YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!

I am hoping for many many more TMI moments through this whole thing. I really do want to know about your basal body temperature. I love hearing about stuff like that.

Aaaaand... now I know why you drove so far to get Cafe Rio. I mean, it's valid anyways, but now it makes much more sense. I would've walked across the country for mozzarella sticks when I was pregnant.

I ate cookie dough my entire pregnancy (a big no-no, with all of its raw egg-ness) and Connor is mostly okay. Oh yeah, and the occasional sushi too. I figured the stress of craving it and throwing things incessantly because of it was worth than whatever it was going to do to me. But I'm crazy like that.

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And... you probably shouldn't read my blog entry today. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm here to help you in any way I can. Pack the frozen corndogs carefully in an insulated container with freezer packs and send them to me in the fastest way possible. Do not worry about the expense, since you will be paying it. I will sacrifice my body to save yours.

Oh, yes.........CONGRATULATIONS!

Uncle Joe

Lauri said...

Oh my gosh, I'm so excited for you guys. My whole family is! So a big CONGRATULATIONS from the whole Carbone clan!!! I can't wait for all the updates on here. You guys are going to be the best parents ever. Tadpole Leonard is one lucky baby!!! :-)

Anonymous said...

Hygiene & Tim, Wowie-WOW! We are thrilled that you could keep the secret to yourselves for 15 weeks. Now we are double-thrilled that we can join you on this adventure to "Parenthood" (Remember that movie? Rent the DVD.) Hugs to both of you, and a cyber tummy-tickle for T/L! -daGrannyMawma

Jacob Sparks said...

Finally I can say BABY around other people... for awhile i had to pretend you guys where getting a puppy.

Congratulations again you two. Remember scar them early and they will love you later.

I will be getting you guys the awkward baby leash, a baby yoda costume, a Mr T no jibba jabba pacifier, and any other electronic device that makes high pitch squeals at 3 am.

And I 1 up uncle joe... I will personal pick up the devil corn dogs from your abode to keep jean from having to walk the 15 feet in the heat to the post office. Ohh yes i went there joe.

Anonymous said...

JEANIE AND TIM! I am sooooooooooooooooooooo excited! My dad told me you had a growth in your uterus, so I freaked out thinking it was something else. LOL! I wish I could hug you, so I'm going to send a hug a million miles away on the internet. HUGS! Love you both! MUAH!

Love,
Tricia

dana said...

Jean!!!! (and Tim)....that is SOOO exciting!! I'm so happy for you guys. Congrats!! I love that you and I are both pregnant and throwing a baby shower. Good fun! You are smart to be secretive and I'm happy to hear that you're 15 weeks along! I can't wait to find out what you're having. Hopefully you WILL be able to name him Leonard (actually Leo isn't too bad of a name :) )
Yea for the Andersons! We're really happy for you guys.

dietcokegrrl said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm so excited for you guys! Bring on the cravings and the excuse to pig-out...or maybe that's just MY excuse when I am pregnant. Am I the only one?

Enjoy all the sleep, dinners out, movies, and peace and quiet that you can...it will all be a distant memory soon enough.

Congrats again!

Jay said...

Awwwww Yeaaaa!!!!! So awesome!
We're so happy for you two!!
Congrats Jean, Tim, and .....Leonard!

Love you guys!

- Jay

J&C Hale family said...

Wahoo!!!!! Jonathan and I are so very, very excited for you. That is awesome! Wow!

Anonymous said...

Yeaaaaaaa! The cat is out of the bag! I had to leave town to avoid not telling your good news before you had the chance to! I am so excited that we are going through this at the same time!!! Yea for Leonard!!!

Laura

Abby said...

Jean, I'm SO excited for you and Tim! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! You guys will be awesome parents.

You're right about the corndogs and meat stuff -- that is, they're little stuff. :) Don't worry! And don't even worry about sleeping on your belly! Once it starts to be uncomfortable, you won't want to. Until then it's not an issue. T-L's got lots of cushioning (that sounds wrong....NO you're not fat!!).

Anyway....YAY for Jean! I'm looking forward to keeping up with you!

Headle said...

YIPPEE!! Congratulations! I was just checking up on you guys and Dan and I are THRILLED to hear the news!! You two will be incredible parents!!! We love and miss you guys so much!

Jake said...

Baby..... Baby...... Pirate? Wait, pirates are wild! Yaa hoo!!!!! Congrats!

laura said...

congrats you two (i mean, three)! i gasped pretty loud when i read this, so my co-workers congratulate you as well! we are going to have the coolest play group ever...great timing!

Laura (Daines)

Brooke said...

Yeah, the whole bascal body temperature thing didn't work for me either. We finally got pregnant when I gave up on having kids ever.

Congrats! Motherhood is fun, speaking of, better go, James has reached his tolerance of the bouncy chair.

Liz Johnson said...

Um... not to pressure you, but I am looking forward to lots of fun pregnancy stories. Whenever you're ready. :)

Lillian said...

WWOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWW! Congratulations you two! That is such exciting news! I am so happy for you. You guys will be such fun parents. Wow (again). Tim and Jean are going to be a daddy and a mommy!
I totally remember the feeling when I first got pregnant that it was just too unreal. I thought that maybe I was just making it up. Just wait a few months when you can feel that little guy/gal in there and it will become more real! That was my favorite part of pregnancy - feeling the baby move. Oh, and it was fun when Matt got to feel him move.
Anyway, I am SOOO happy for you!

Wendy Farnsworth said...

We are SOOO excited for your news--Congrats! You guys are looking so...so...um...like you are REALLY fitting into Pasadena!

BUT, if you ever have a hankerin' to go farther than Vegas to get something to eat...you know..like Lindon..or something...You always have an open invitation! We sure miss you and love you. I am glad that life is moving on for you.

I think you will have a girl-therefore, you need to address her as princess tadpole-lennette...especially since you are "tickled pink".

Lots of Love,

Auntie Wendolyn

Wendy Farnsworth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
hilary w said...

CONGRATULATIONS! That is just the best news ever! I am so so so excited for you guys! I am so glad that you have survived the first trimester and now is the fun part! (at least in my opinion) We can't wait to see little Leonard! :)

Carly Andelin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carly Andelin said...

Hey Jean,

Congratulations! That is so exciting! Me and Mike are actually expecting as well! When you and Bill and Ash and the Nutters got together, Ashley said you asked if I was pregnant--yeah, I was. You knew! jk :) I'm due Dec. 13th--my birthday in fact. Isn't yours or Tim's birthday close to that? I don't know why I vaguely remember that. Anyways! Yeah, and I wouldn't stress too much about all the stuff you hear about what foods you shouldn't eat and how you should sleep. You can sleep however you want until it gets too uncomfortable, or into your 3rd trimester. Raw fish I don't think is too good (I don't like it anyway), but I love the cooked sushi which is totally ok. You can even take Ibuprofen until your 3rd trimester.

So, when do you guys find out what it is? We are having a boy, and we are so excited to have one of each, but especially a break from all the girl drama Kimi puts us through. Good luck with everything! Congrats again!

Lesley said...

Horray! Scott and I are THRILLED for you.

And I am with Liz-- feel free to over-share on everything pregnancy!

Abbie said...

Talk about peeing in the pants! How exciting! I'll never neglect your blog for 3 weeks again. Congratulations!!! You two are going to be the coolest parents. Jean, you’re going to be so cute with a belly. I’m so excited for you three!

Lisa said...

So, I found your blog from Liz's, and I've checked it once in a while to see how you guys are doing, and now I just want to comment! (hope you don't mind the hi-jacking) CONGRATS!!! I've always thought you guys would be the funnest parents EVER, mainly because you're the funnest people ever. (I don't think "funnest" is a word) I have a blog by the way, in case you want to stalk the Badals too :) It's lisasrandomspouts.blogspot.com. Adios!

Jenn said...

Yeah so I'm a little behind but still wanted to tell you Congrats!!! I don't blame you for waiting. We waited 14 weeks to let everyone in on the news. You actually planned it perfectly... you won't be big & prego in the summer! Which I'm sure was your plan all along! ;) Congrats again! - Jenn