Saturday, August 4, 2007

Scrumtrillescent!

Tim is the coolest. He's long been using his art skills for the greater good, but this weekend he helped me create a totally cute logo for Girls Camp 2007, the week-long church camp for young women that I'm helping with, and that's coming up this month:



How cute is that??!! He thought a compass rose would be a good idea, since most of MY ideas included whimsical rainbows and stars (clearly I'm NOT the creative one in the family). The theme of the camp is the title of the famous Dr. Seuss book, "Oh, the Places You'll Go!" Hence the compass rose.

Okay, I know, it's not one of his super-intensive works that takes weeks, nay, months, to create and perfect (although some of these will probably be available for viewing on his website once his term has ended). In all truthiness, he didn't even want me to post it, because he said it's "embarrassingly bad." Whatever, I love it. He's just so sweet for coming up with this for me. Yay Tim!!! I wanted to celebrate his coolness by having a Tim Party, but he had too much homework to do.

This has been a pretty fun weekend so far, food-wise. Yesterday, Tim's club at Art Center (called Working Title) hosted Mark Goerner, an entertainment artist who has worked on films like X-Men 2 and Minority Report. Afterwards, the club board took him out to dinner and invited me along (these are some of the perks that I get for sleeping with the guy in charge). We went to Barney's Beanery on Colorado, which you would think is a coffee shop, but actually turned out to be more of a bright, loud, upbeat Irish restaurant / sports bar. The menu was basically a newspaper with a million items on it -- all kinds of weird variations of typical foods, like burgers with egg salad on top. Our meals turned out to be mediocre, but the coolest thing was the fact that Barney's sells a $10,000 burger (which you have to pay for in advance), and that they also offer the most insane PB&J sandwich conceived by man: peanut butter, jelly, banana, and marshmallow, and rolled in Frosted Flakes. Anyway, it was great to go and meet Mark and hear all he had to say about getting started in the entertainment industry, putting up with nutty, raging directors, and enduring inane requests and suggestions for alterations to his artwork. All very, very interesting, and he's a good storyteller, so it was fun to listen to him.

Then, today Tim and I went to lunch at Big Mama's, a southern restaurant about two blocks from our apartment that we've been meaning to go to for months. We were one of two tables, so it was pretty quiet; the interior had bright colored walls, but a black ceiling with low lighting, so it was sort of understated-trendy. There's a big portrait of big mama on the back wall, and I salute her. It was GOOD. I'm talking hush-puppy, collard greens, BBQ pork good. Yeah, I love southern cookin'. My mom lived in Alabama for the first eight years of her life, and the indelible mark that southern food made on her must've passed onto me (although I still don't like grits... blah). Anyway, Tim ordered the jambalaya, which was great too, and he got pecan pie for dessert, which turned out to be the best pecan pie that we've tasted in years.

Tomorrow evening (Sunday), we're having a couple couples over for dinner for baby shower planning (the girls) and video games (the guys). I love planning parties! Yay for babies!

4 comments:

dana said...

Jean, I always love the details in your posts. It's very jean-esque.
And yes, I say "ya for Tim!" also. Well done! And the Stake Girl's Camp committee greatly thanks you.
I didn't know there was a Barney's Beanery here. I've been to the one in Hollywood. But I've never had their food. That PB&J is sounding reeeeal good.
See you tonight!

dietcokegrrl said...

Great job Tim!!

My mom used to make us peanut butter and marshmallow cream sandwiches when I was a kid and I remember loving them. I may have to try this one...except I can't use pregnancy as an excuse for eating it. Hmmm, maybe I'll just wait until I am...which won't be anytime soon, BTW. heehee

Anonymous said...

Who is this imposter dana? she better watch her back...and who is having a baby?? it won't be as cute as mine... sorry, I'm feeling a bit sassy tonight. :)
Jean- my first year at girls camp had that theme! I love the logo Tim came up with. I also suggest that you use illustrations from the book where you can, because that made that camp year very memorable and fun for us!

Anonymous said...

Hi...it's Shannon...I never post comments, but always read the blogs! Anyway, good to know you ate at Big Mamas! I know exactly where it is as I've driven by a kagillion times! Way to branch out!