Friday, March 27, 2009

Recent Happenin's

Here's a recap of recent happenin's 'round the Anderson household! (Since apostrophes are used to substitute for missing letters, does that mean you can arbitrarily remove letters and replace them with apostrophes? 'R wou'd th't ge' c'nf'sin'? I d''t 'no', ma'b'. Haha.)

Blankie Shawl

Yep, Weston still loves his blue blankie. He loves to drag it around the house, but when he does, he usually steps on it and trips over it. So, Tim and I have taken to draping it over his shoulders in order to keep it out of his path. He really likes his blankie shawl. (And as you can see, he's over Orange Ring now, and he's moved on to Big Green Blocks.)
"Look at this face. Would YOU LOOK at THIS FACE? Is this a face you could die for??" (If you can name the movie, then you get 100 Teamies.)
Eaton Canyon

A bamillion of my friends have been blogging about their visits to Eaton Canyon, so I thought I'd crumble to peer pressure and blog about it, too. Eaton Canyon is a few minutes from our house, and it's basically this rocky wash in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains, where a stream runs and where there are lots of trails.
We explored the local flora:
And we snapped a couple sticks:
And we enjoyed some of that good ol' bonding time:
Look at the wee one in his little overalls!! (Thanks Danielle!)
King Taco

Another night, we headed to King Taco for dinner. This is definitely a place that we will miss when/if we leave Pasadena some day. It is hardcore delish Mexican food.
Tim munched on his sope:
This is what I ALWAYS get -- a chicken sope and a chicken tamale:
YUUUUUMMMMMM (but watch out... that cabbage spills all over the place!)
And Weston enjoyed his baby bites of quesadilla:
Ariel's Grotto

On Tuesday, Tim and I had a date night at Disneyland. Ariel's Grotto is one of the few remaining restaurants at the resort where we hadn't eaten yet, and since our current passes are expiring in less than a month, we knew we had to go.
Ariel was standing at the base of the spiral staircase, taking photos with dinner-goers. (Tim and I knew it was going to be a character dinner, and we were wondering if Ariel would be in her "land ho!" form, or if she would be in her mermaid tail, flopping around on the floor after the frightened children and grabbing onto tables and pulling herself up for photos. As it turned out, she was in her land form. Probably makes more sense.)

Anyway, after watching for several minutes, we realized that she was only taking pictures with kids (almost all girls), so we declined to have our picture taken. Although, a teensy little bit of me wanted that picture with Ariel (the teensy little bit that used to sing "Part of Your World" incessantly and had all the lyrics memorized). But, this sufficed:
Below is the restaurant interior.
(This overlooks the lake in Paradise Pier, which is not so much a lake right now, but a huge dry pit full of scaffolding for the new water show that's coming next year.)
I got a picture with Belle:
And Timmy got a picture with Snow White:
Lemme tell ya, those princesses are a hoot. They're ALWAYS in character. You NEVER hear them speak colloquially or refer to anything outside of their characters' fantasy worlds. They always maintain these musical, high-pitched voices and flowery, sweeping motions. It's classic ... but also a little awkward when you're a grown-up (haha).

After the "appetizer tower," our dinners arrived! We tucked in:
Isn't Tim SO lucky that he chose ME as his eternal companion?
And finally, the lovely dessert plate, complete with a white chocolate seashell and a white chocolate mini-Ariel! (It did not taste like fish, fortunately.)

13 comments:

megan said...

what a fun post! I have eaten at like 1 disneyland restaurant...we always pack sandwiches...lame i know. so which place is your fav? and I love that pic/comment about the eternal companion...hahahah

and of course weston is cuteeeee!

king taco? still need to try it!!!

Liz Johnson said...

Jean, I command you to move next door to me this instant. You crack me up. Holy crap. That picture of you eating is so classic... I might make it my wallpaper or something.

Weston and Nathan have those same penguin pj's. You have exquisite taste in children's bedtime clothing. :)

Seriously though, please? I need more Jean in my life.

Liz Johnson said...

Update: That picture is now my desktop picture and I have never laughed harder. Hahahahhaa.

dana said...

Fun happenin's! I'm glad you joined the bamillions of friends at Eaton Canyon. Next time I'm bringing Owen's swimsuit and he can play in the "river" (which I'm sure is totally unsanitary).
Fun date night too! Crazy characters.

Headle said...

Your little Weston is ADORABLE!!!! I love him totting around with his little blanket...sooooo sweet!!!

Your blog posts about your dates always crack me up!!! You two are just a non-stop party together :D

dietcokegrrl said...

Ok a few comments:
*Weston is adorable, as always. How do you stand it??
*I've lived in Pasadena for 16 years now and STILL have never been to Eaton Canyon. I may have to give in to peer pressure soon.
*You MUST try the sopes at Los Tacos (Corner of Fair Oaks and California)...they are oh so good. Although, get it without the chile/salsa sauce they put on it.
*I'm with Liz--that picture of you is HILARIOUS!! So so funny!
I think I need more Jean in my life too.

Nat said...

What a fun date night you guys had! How great would it have been if Ariel was in "creepy slimy creature captured by Ursula" form...perfect for a restaurant. :)

Janelle said...

Fun! And we thought of you when Cafe Rio gave away free entrees (completely free!) to anyone who came into one of Vegas locations last week. Wish you were there too!

Gaskin Girl said...

Exciting times! I just love Weston in his overalls. There aren't many things cuter than a little kid in overalls! And I'm jealous you went to Disneyland. (It's my secret dream to live there!)

La La Land said...

Great post! I have a few comments. I hate Eaton Canyon! Having grown up around great canyons, I thought it sucked. But, it is nice to have a place to go see actual foliage and fauna. Next, you MUST try King Taco in Montebello...much more authentic. Lastly, did Ariel look that creepy in real life?!? Her makeup is a tad scary. Oh, and I love the Eternal Companion photo. I might just make that my screen saver, too! I miss you!

Abbie said...

I'm so hungry now. Food! Give me delicious food!

One day I would love to be a Disney Princess. Maybe I'll try it at home and see if I can do it for 24 hours. Would you like to join me?

Thanks for the big, fat update. P.S. Eli totally wore his blankie (aka Bonkie) like that.

I miss you!

danyelly said...

I am glad that those overalls went to a good home. It was sad when Michael grew out of them. Your family is so awesome!

Chris said...

Alright, no one has said it--UHF!