Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Tuesday(s) with Tim, #1

First, the disclaimer: This is Tim writing, not Jean. I realize that my participation is rarely witnessed on this blog, apart from our photos—more often than not as a display stand of sorts for our darling offspring— and in an effort to supplement my photographic presence, I hereby declare my intention to do a weekly post on Tuesdays. I choose this day for two reasons: 1) I do not have classes on Tuesday, so theoretically I have more time; and 2) I am a sucker for alliteration, and while Thursday also begins with “t” it lacks the ring of “Tuesday with Tim.”

Now, my weekly posts will rarely feature pictures of our family, and if they do, they will not be the types of pictures that jean usually posts. Rest assured loyal viewers (one in particular, and you know who you are…): photos of the baby will return. Probably tomorrow. Or even later today.

My post today is inspired by several sources, the most influential being “Star Wars Episode III: The Backstroke of the West.” For those unfamiliar with that title, it is a poor translation from English to Chinese back to English featured on a bootlegged DVD copy of Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith.
Check out the movie's opening title sequence here.

As you can see, hilarity is sure to ensue when translating between languages, and now YOU can participate in such fun!! Not enough exclamation points? You’re right!!!! Such fun!!!!!!!! Okay, so your mission—should I choose that you accept it (I do)—is to (step 1) come up with a common phrase, movie quote, scripture passage, etc… and (step 2) go to an online language translator (
babelfish is the best one I’ve found for this game). Then (step 3) paste the phrase and select English->Chinese. Then (step 4) paste the Chinese back into the first frame and select Chinese->English. Finally (step 5) paste your new phrase into the comments for this post.

I know I said I’d never go against the
advice of Mr. T again but for an example, I’ll use a classic “Yo Momma” joke:

“Yo mama so stupid when your dad said it was chilly outside, she ran outside with a spoon” becomes “Very stupid Aunt Yo, when your daddy said that it is shiver exterior, she has run outside and the spoon.” Get it?

So post the line/phrase you’ve chosen and the retranslated line/phrase in your comment, and there will be a prize for the best translated comment: I will buy the winner’s favorite candy bar (if readily available—don’t be obscure) and eat it in his/her honor. What? I never said the winner would be the one getting the prize… Enjoy!!!!

22 comments:

Eric Hanson said...

Hey, if Tuesdays with Tim are going to be this fun, I hope you keep it up :). Here's mine:

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Which becomes:

Our US's people, to form a more perfect union, establishes the justice, the insurance domestic tranquil, provides the common defense, the promotion general welfare, and ties up prays for heavenly blessing on freely us, and our descendants, stipulate and establish US's this constitution.

Woohoo!

Liz Johnson said...

May the force be with you.

In May the strength is and you.

Hahahahahaha.

Deidra said...

That's what she said.

That was any she said.

chartie said...

Courtesy of Sir Mix-a-Lot:
I like big butts and I cannot lie
You other brothers can't deny
When a girl walk in with an itty-bitty waist
And a round thing in your face
You get sprung

It becomes:
I like the big butt, and I am impossible to lie
your other Brother can' t denied,
when the girl comes in with the itty piece waist
and you obtain the bounce in a yours face round matter

Lisa said...

It started:
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

It became:
The double bird is inferior to a bird in the forest in the hand.

Hahahahaha this is fun.

Bridget said...

If you're happy and you know it clap your hands. If you're happy and you know it then you're face will surely show it. If you're happy and you know it clap your hands.

If you are happy, and you knew that it claps your hand. If you are happy, and you knew that its your face affirmation will then demonstrate it. If you are happy, and you knew that it claps your hand.

B Brown said...

I totally had Run DMC's "It's tricky" stuck in my head today so was gonna do that, but this is funnier!

I can take an armful and make a treat. A popcorn ball that would smell so sweet.

becomes...

As soon as I may adopt hug and do receive cordially. Will smell very sweetly…Corn ball-flower

Jean said...

From Lord of the Rings: "We've been here before! We're going in circles!"

Translation: "We've before in here. We' Comes in again in the circle!"

hahahahahaha....

Jean said...

Here's another one: early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise!

Translation: Early and rises early to the bed causes a person health, is wealthy and is unwise!

chartie said...

This is too fun.

How about: Holler for a dollar.

Translates to: A US Dollar yelling.

Dana Carlin said...

"Wonder pets, wonder pets, we're on our way to help a friend and save the day. We're not too big and we're not too tough, but when we work together we've got the right stuff."

"Miracle pet, miracle pet, we' Helps the friend and the retrieval aspect in ours rare earth on the way. We' No longer too greatly with we' Is too no longer tenacious, but, when our we' ve obtained the correct material."

Dana Carlin said...

"I've fallen and I can't get up"

=

"I' ve whereabouts and I can' t gets up."

Rob said...

I get knocked down, but I get up again. You're never going to keep me down!

-->

I obtain knock down, but I get up again. You never retain me!

Ha!
_Rob

Chris said...

Classic Star Wars quote:

Why, you stuck up, half-witted, scruffy-looking nerf-herder.
Han Solo: Who's scruffy-looking?

Why have you adhered, stupid, ragged looks at the nerf herd.
Han Solo: Who' s ragged looked?

Master Jeremiah said...

Thats funny you should mention this now. About a week ago I spent the entire CompApps peroid playing this game! If there is a choice I prefer using traditional chinese as the results are better. Here is my entry:
You have made fun of my flamboyant pants for the last time, we must do battle!
P.S. I'm playing the word-entry game now. "Sorry Mr. Unangst I can't participate in gym today I don't want anyone to catch my astedis."
You tease me the previous time flamboyant pants, we must make the battle!
Here's Brett's entry:
Chuck Norris has a night
light. Not because he is
afraid of the dark, but
because the dark is afraid
of him.

translates into:
Chuck Norris has the night light.
Does not have, because he is
afraid darkness, but, because
is afraid him dark.

Master Jeremiah said...

The post script jumped.
P.S. Is it just me or is it "hothy in here?"

Dana Carlin said...

I was very confused by Jeremy's entry. Not because of the post script error, but because his screenname is "Master Jeremiah". It took me approximately 3 minutes to realize that it was my brother, as my brother's name is "Jeremy" and not "Jeremiah". What a klemelix.

Tim Anderson said...

Yeah, I usually think of him as "boyier" than one who would be called "master."

Master Jeremiah said...

Hey, do not tease me. I had not thought that my screenname will leave us Bork. Has some way to change it?

Chris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chris said...

Double-you tee eff?? Does Jeremy smoke pot before writing these comments, or do I before reading them? And who the heck is Bork?

Master Jeremiah said...

I translated my sentance into chinese and back. Bork=Blog.