Monday, May 18, 2009

The Worker and the Wanderer

In this production, tentatively entitled Summer 2009, the part of "Worker" will be played by Tim, and the part of "Wanderer" will be played by Jean. (And no, that's not as in Wanderer from The Host, which, FYI, is a really good book that I really hope they turn into a movie.) (And yes, Paramount, I would be more than happy to play the part of Wanderer in the movie, thanks for asking.)

In fact, my effort to go mobile with my motherhood operation this summer (in light of Tim's full-time work and looooong commute) and wander around the country with nothing but a toddler, a tube of chapstick, and an enduring sense of adventure (along with a million other things) appears to be successful. It looks like I'll be heading to PA for 2 weeks in June, WA for a week in July, and OH for a week in August. So, hooray!! Oh, and like I said, I'll be traveling with Weston (at least for the first two trips), so please pass along any advice you have about flying alone with a lap-toddler, and then please wish me good luck. After that, please wish my husband good luck for my third trip when he will watch Weston (alone) for 9 days straight in August. Bless his heart.

Anyway, Tim and I celebrated this past weekend (ahh, glorious weekend... it holds a whole new meaning for us) by going to Downtown Disney and having dinner with our very favorite Orange County Whites!! When Tim and I were living in Provo, these two super people were our next-door neighbors (excluding the sparrow that decided to live in between our apartments on top of the stairwell light), and we shared many laughs and good times with them. And now they're in California too! AND they have a ridiculously adorable new baby who I kept asking to hold! Haha! It was a great time. We love Emily and Jared and Max!

The fam:
Jean and Emily:
Okay, this is unrelated to our get-together with the Whites, but when Tim and I were exploring Downtown Disney a bit, we decided to pop into the giant lobby of the Grand Californian and let Weston walk around and explore. He happened to find these cute, kid-sized chairs in front of a TV that was showing a Disney movie, and he had to try them out:
The best thing about these photos isn't the little chairs, though. It's Weston's outfit!! It started to get chilly while we were there, so I decided to change him out of his shorts and T-shirt into his "backup outfit": this long-sleeve, long-pants number that's been in his diaper bag for a few months. It turns out that it's a little bit snugger than I used to recall. :-) (And yes, those are socks with sandals, too.)

14 comments:

daMawma said...

Congrats to the Whites on little Max! There must be something in the water in So-Cal that produces robust bambinos.

Your travel plans are ambitious, but Weston has flown before and probably knows the procedure. I'm hoping he won't be a lap-baby for the entire flight. He's heavy!

Liz Johnson said...

AHHHHHHHHH I'm so glad that you're going to be such a traveler. Do you need a travel companion? Because I'm kinda bored these days!

The Whites rock. HOLLA WHITES!

And Jean, I was so about to mock Weston's outfit before you did. I love his little "BYU shout-out" with his socks and sandals. ROCKIN', kid!

Lisa said...

I'm so jealous that you got to see the Whites! And that they got to see you!! No fair.

I am so ashamed of your socks and sandals-ness. You need to raise him right. :)

megan said...

looks like mr weston has had a haircut?
so funny about the outfit...but hey, at least you had a back up!

and go jean! sounds like a fun summer!! I've traveled via airplane with toddlers...if you really want advice, i'll give ya some when I see you

Emily said...

Jean! You are so nice! We LOVED seeing you guys, I was really looking forward to it all week long! Weston is such a sweetie! I hope in a year Max will be able to sit up at the table and be good for dinner like Weston! Funny how he cries in a pretend rainstorm, but slept right through the real earthquake! So you didn't feel it much? It was really quick but we felt a good jolt. OH and do you remember how Jared bought that bear to put on top of the light in our stairwell to keep the birds away? haha. Anyway, I can't wait to read about your adventures with Weston this summer! Sounds like you're going to have a lot of fun!

The Hyer Family said...

Cute post...I've traveled a ton with kid(s) by myself, and the best advice...just get through it! And don't be afraid to ask for help...I've run into the same experience with Lauren's change of clothes at school...months go by and I forget and then they don't fit or are totally inappropriate for the weather...oh well!

Dana Carlin said...

hahahahha - love the snug outfit!!

and good luck with the flights...are they direct? i hope they're direct.

Abbie said...

Yay for fun trips planned! although I'm sad Texas and NYC didn't make it on your list.

I didn't know the Whites very well, but what I did know about them was that they are great!

I need a tiny chair and a snug outfit. I secretly love to dress Eli in snug clothes - it makes him seem tiny again.

B Brown said...

You totally just reminded me to check my back-up outfit in the diaper bag. thanks!

p.s. Socks with Sandals? Next you'll be telling me he's left the house in his pajamas! ;)

James Cramer said...

Hey Jean, good luck on your three trips this summer, can't wait to see you.

Headle said...

What a fun day outing with the Whites!!! They are such a CUTE family!!! No doubt they had a BLAST with you guys!!

FUN trips!! Where in WA will you be? I wish OR made the list too!!! We will all be begging for a visit from you next summer! :)

Lalee Photography said...

PA! PA! PA in June! When are you coming?? You must come over with the wee one! YAAAAAAY! I'm so excited!! :-)

Lesley said...

How do you even PRONOUNCE quiots? What a mystery. Around here, Ian has christened the Ring Stacking Thing the "Follow the Prophet". I have no clue why. But it makes me sound like a parent who takes religion very seriously, so I support it. :)

Weston is SO cute.

And those Whites are cute too. What a fun reunion!

sachia said...

Shannon's comment ROCKS. Makes me feel like being a mama who forgets things now and then is OK!