Saturday, May 2, 2009

Shrimps and "Sure-oh's"

If you ever get to that point in your life (we all will, I'm sure) where you are desperate to find someone who will:

(A) Etch your name on a tiny grain of rice,
(B) Draw a picture of you in a bikini, or
(C) Stare at you non-stop from a bench,

then the Santa Monica Pier is the place for you. (Well, say no more!!) We headed there on Wednesday evening with Kate and Jacob to celebrate the end of their term at Art Center.

Here's the Anderson clan, with crazy-haired Jean (thanks Wind), along with the big ball that happened to blow our way from the beach and to which Weston became immediately attached:
La playa:
It was chilly and windy, so Weston was forced to experience the beach from the confines of his stroller on the boardwalk:
We went to Bubba Gump Shrimp Company for dinner, where we all ordered shrimp entrees (like my absolute fave, the Shrimpin' Dippin' Broth) and also licked Weston's head:
Kate and Jacob had a dandy time:
Then we strolled along the pier:
And we took lots of pictures:
SPOILER ALERT!!! This is what it looks like when you get to the end of the pier:
Next we walked a few blocks to a new gourmet churro shop called Xooro (pronounced "sure-oh"):
I discovered it during one of my regular online searches of fabulous new places in the area that I must try:
Inside, there was a display of all the different filled churros that they offer (plastic versions, anyway):
While we waited for our churros, I took this picture of Tim because I really liked the "xooro" wall behind him:
Finally they arrived!!
We also got a piping hot cup of Spanish hot chocolate, which I was hoping would be more like the thick dipping chocolate that you get in Spain with churros, but which was actually just regular hot chocolate (but very delicious regular hot chocolate, at least):
Pirate Tim thoroughly enjoyed his "sure-oh" (AAARRRR):
Is it just me, or does Jacob somehow manage to portray the epitome of creepiness here?:
As you can see below, we are awesome. Need I say more? (Note Tim's sugar-induced stupor, Kate's persevering churro enthusiasm, and Jacob's all-encompassing depression):
It was about 8:30 PM by the time we left, and Weston was clearly zonked (although whether this is fatigue or his own sugar-induced stupor was never officially determined):

11 comments:

Liz Johnson said...

For some reason, I feel like that Xooro store is mocking my Mexicanity. But I'm strangely ok with that.

Jacob Sparks said...

Liz, it mocked my bowels.


Funny as usual Captain Jean

megan said...

those are some gorgeous pictures from the pier!!!!!

looks like a super fun time!
and hello, who knew there was a churro place like that? I totally didn't...yum!

dana said...

Those churros look AMAZING! Casey served his mission in Argentina and will only eat churros with "something" inside. I must take him there!
Fun outing.

Dana Carlin said...

I'm dying to know what flavors you each picked!!! They all look so yummy!

James Cramer said...

Hey Jean and Tim, I'm glad you guys had fun, they look soooo good!

daMawma said...

I'm glad cold & windy didn't spoil all the fun. Weston just likes to go places and see new things. That was a late night for the little fella! Thanks for letting me come along.

Mary said...

So fun!! We went to that beach a few weeks ago! It was soo windy too and cloudy. Looks like you guys had a blast!

Kristen said...

I love the Santa Monica Pier! Last time we went there some guy with his homemade bubble cart had the coolest bubble machines! My kids had the best time and could have stayed for hours!

B Brown said...

Churros are one of Mike's all time favorite treats. we'll have to give it a shot next time I drag him to the beach. He's the kind of pastie white Philly guy that does not enjoy the sun that much.

Abbie said...

Excuse me, will you quit licking that child? Hahahaha. You two are the coolest parents ever!

Fun times! Can I come next time you go? (it seems I say that a lot in these comments. I also get really hungry when I read your blog. hmmm...)