Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Nursery

He may as well be going off to college.

My baby is no longer a baby. He turned 18 months old at the end of August, so this past Sunday, he attended nursery for the first time all by himself.

Nursery is the Sunday School class at our church that is designed for the littlest kids, aged 18 months to 3 years. It includes playtime, snack time, storytime, singing, praying, learning, and coloring. It is fabulous.

Nevertheless, I am still in shock. Nursery, I have realized, is basically the first big step on my son’s path to complete independence and adulthood. How did this happen? When did he get so old?? Why is it that one day, he’s attached to me at the hip, crying and breastfeeding and crying and pooping, and then the next day, he’s getting whisked off to nursery like an actual child-person?

Not that I’m complaining. Now that he’s attending nursery, I’m actually able to get something out of church again, besides a great view of the wall of the mother’s lounge (during the infant months) and of the carpeting in the hallways (during the toddler months). What I’ll be able to get now is something like increased knowledge and spiritual enrichment, which have been very elusive over the past 18 months (not that hallway-roaming isn’t super spiritually intense).

So, on Sunday, with tangible glee, I dropped him off in the nursery room, and instead of staying to “help him make the adjustment” like I have been doing over the past few weeks, I just chatted briefly with Summer, the nursery leader (“Do you remember his peanut allergy?”, “Do you think someone can help him drink out of his little cup?”), and then turned around and left. I was nervous and probably slightly annoying, but as I left I felt invigorated and SO ready for normal church. I went off to Sunday School, yet I fully expected Summer to appear in the doorway minutes later with my bawling, tear-streaked, red-eyed child. However, she NEVER came. Weston stayed in nursery the ENTIRE time. I was surprised and delighted.

Ironically, I was even more surprised that my eagerness to drop him off at the beginning of nursery was matched by my anticipation to see him again at the end. Tim and I arrived at almost the same time from our respective classes, and there was Weston, looking very normal (and very much like a little boy), smiling as he was swept up into Tim’s arms and as I praised the picture that he “colored” (a.k.a. scribbled in two tiny spots). I could not stop hugging him and rubbing his back. I actually missed him, in a much more profound way than I feel when, say, I go to the grocery store by myself. That was a big surprise. We’ve been apart for that amount of time many times before, but not in such a symbolic way. Even though my head was in Sunday School and Relief Society for those two hours, my heart was in nursery.

Anyway, I grilled Summer before we left, asking if Weston had acted up or gotten fussy or hit anyone or had any trouble with his snack or anything, ANYTHING. She said he was basically fine the whole time. Even though she said that, though, I couldn’t help daydreaming about how great it would be to have a secret surveillance videocamera installed in the nursery room so that I could actually see how he behaved when I wasn’t around and he had to get by on his own like a big boy. I think the fact I even considered that indicates that even though he’s capable of being away from me, I still have trouble being away from him, especially when there are lots of other kids and there is a lot going on around him (in other words, when he actually has to act like the big boy that he’s becoming, without my constant reassurance and supervision).

But, I know he’s in great hands in there. Now it’s my turn to let him go. Just think how humiliated he would be if I had to be lead to the nursery room by the Sunday School teacher because I was bawling my eyes out about missing my baby. Hopefully it won’t come to that. But I still can’t believe that I have a nursery-age child. In the meantime, while I’m trying to figure out how that happened, I’ll be opening my scriptures to Isaiah, raising my hand, and participating in a great discussion.

**************************************************

P.S. Weston had his 18-month appointment on Tuesday, and here are his stats:

Length: 35 inches (97%)
Weight: 26 lbs 14 oz (50-75%)
Head: 50 cm (75-90%)

P.P.S. If you’re a hardcore Disneyland fan like us, then you may realize that Weston is now tall enough to ride the Matterhorn. Hahahaha! That would put some hair on his chest!!

11 comments:

Liz Johnson said...

Awwwwww Weston!!!!! I can't believe he's in NURSERY!!!

Nursery is the most inspired program in the church. Dead serious.

Abbie said...

Yay! for Weston! he's so big!

My favorite part of church is picking Eli up from nursery. I love how excited he is to see us and give us his picture.

Lisa said...

Oh my gosh, what a nursery champ!! I can't believe how smoothly that went! I hope that Jonathan handles it just as well in a couple of weeks--I'm sorta terrified. But only slightly terrified, since I'm primary pianist so I can't deal with him anyways ;)

Abby said...

Yay for nursery!! And go Weston for staying there the whole time.

The Matterhorn!!! :D That would be AWESOME if he went on the Matterhorn.

I still remember when Autumn was 3 she was tall enough for Space Mountain. Tee hee hee. Eric took her on it and afterwards I asked her if she liked it. She said, "Yessss...NO! I did NOT like that."

danyelly said...

Oh, if there were a hidden camera for parents to watch! I think you would be shocked to see my son charging into everyone and being too physical! BTW, he loved the Matterhorn (rode it twice).

I am so glad that Weston's transition is smooth so far. He is such a cutie. Enjoy your own quiet time (and try to stay awake in your classes).

Tiff said...

Weston is TALL! Malia couldn't ride the Matterhorn until she was 2 1/2-almost 3! It was a big day for us because we hadn't been on a roller coaster in ages, and we wanted that more for us than her. LOL. Unfortunately, I couldn't go because I was preggers. Lame.

Yeah, I missed Malia more than she missed me when she went to nursery. In fact, she was always desperate to skip Sacrament Mtg. and go straight to nursery. (me too)

You think this is hard. Wait 'til he's a sunbeam. At that point, all semblance of your "baby" vanishes.

The Hyer Family said...

Yes, I always say that I get my testimony back when my kids go to nursery, and it's so true! The next "killer" is when they go to Sunbeams...that's a huge "how the HECK did they get so big?" To see your kid in a big chair in Primary is WEIRD...I can hardly believe that Kate will go in a few months and I'll have 2 in Primary...but then at least it's easy to stick your head in and see!

Brooke said...

I love Nursery!

On another note, Weston has officially passed up James. He only weighs 23 lbs.

Headle said...

It is the weirdest feeling once you finally have your hands free from an active toddler the second two hours of church. Its a little surreal the first few times, but its also easy to get used to :D

Its hard to believe Weston is already there!!

Super cute post!!!

daMawma said...

You are so wise to mark this moment. A very tender piece.

Emily said...

You did such a good job expressing how a mom feels. I know I haven't sent my baby to nursery yet but I was just thinking about preschool the other day and how I'd have a much harder time letting him go than he would probably have leaving me. But in the end that is great that he did so well. Yep, I know what you mean about not getting much out of church, that's totally me lately, but I guess you just enjoy every stage your in when your in it! I love reading about Weston's milestones and thinking "in exactly one year that will be Max!" :)