Thursday, October 29, 2009

Breaking News!

(Cafe Rio news, that is!)

A HUGE thanks to Emily for the tip -- if you haven't heard, Cafe Rio now has plans for THREE restaurants in Southern California: Lake Forest, Manhattan Beach, and Costa Mesa! Woot WOOT!!! It's confirmed on the website - they're all "coming soon."

Naturally, after hearing that, my excitement factor skyrocketed, as did my stomach growling. (The ol' tummers is moaning something like, "creeaaamy tomatillooooo dreeeeeessing... raarrrr...".) So, I called the corporate office to verify when the Lake Forest location is scheduled to open (since it sounds like that is the one that is perhaps closest to completion at this point). After double-checking, the operator told me "the second week of December," and then also suggested that I watch the website for the exact day.

So, HEADS UP, SoCal peeps: I will most definitely be making a mini-road-trip down to Lake Forest for the big event, so mark your calendars if you're interested, too!! And coincidentally, my birthday is also during the second week of December, so now I know that the timing of all this is truly divine intervention. Haha... unless construction is delayed, in which case I might make the shocking realization that God's hand is not, in fact, in Cafe Rio (which, until then, I refuse to believe).

Also, if you have ANY news or ANY updates about these proposed locations (like articles or construction photos, or even interviews with sweaty, disinterested construction workers!), then PLEEEEEAAAASE LET ME KNOW!!!

P.S. Lisa, did you know that they're also opening a Cafe Rio in Denver?!

15 comments:

lyndsey said...

lol -- you called the corp office?!?! you are serious about the rio. but JUST remember -- utah cafe rios are and always will be the best! so still come visit us and eat it here :)

Headle said...

Ha ha ha!!! Jean, you are HILARIOUS!!! I love that you called to verify. Oh, that is just too great!!!

I'll be sending you some money for your birthday meal. I'd be HONORED to sponsor this very special occasion!!! If there's any way I can be part of the celebration by proxy, I am SO THERE!!! :D

Please email me your address...again!! I swear, I'm going to make a master list one of these days...I need Lisa and Liz to help me get organized!!

Liz Johnson said...

Are you serious!? Can I come live with you?! I have been craving a burrito like CRAZY for weeks. I have actually thought about driving 21 hours each way for it. I'd rather just fly to LA and hang out with you. :)

Lisa said...

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Oh Jean, you are my hero! As I was reading I was thinking, "Man, I wish they were opening one in Denver..." OH MY GOSH I WANT CAFE RIO THIS VERY INSTANT!! I'm off to their website... :)

La La Land said...

Lindsay is right, Utah Cafe Rios are the best and the Provo location (the first restaurant) will always be the best. I hope they get it done in time for your birthday! They've only been working on it since 2005.

Unknown said...

Yeah!!! I can't wait...i think I am going to have to make some pork salads for dinner this week now...i am craving it so bad now! Can't wait to make the trek down there with you!

Tiff said...

Um, why Lake Forest? Why not Costa Mesa? (which is much closer to your favorites person in the whole world.... i.e. mwah). :D

dana said...

wowzers! You're always a good source on info on this stuff. Thanks for the scoop!

Eric Hanson said...

YESSSSS!!!!! I am SO there

Brooke said...

you're cute. You should all just come back to Utah to visit. I am surrounded by Cafe Rios!

Emily said...

I'm so so glad you saw my comment and looked into it more! so the 2nd week of december! I'm totally there! Can't wait to get me some Pork Barbacoa or maybe coconut shrimp tacos! both!

daMawma said...

I will probably never get to taste Cafe Rio food myself. But I will share in the excitement of Cafe Rio coming to SoCal. Start the count-down! That stuff must be magical to have such a devoted following.

sachia said...

I'm in for the raod trip! Woo hoo.

B Brown said...

You might be a Cafe Rio addict if...

-you check their website daily for store opening updates
-you actually call the corporate offices for updates on store openings
-you've driven to Las Vegas or Utah for the sole purpose of going
-your name is Jean Anderson!

Rena said...

Jean--I have seen it! A few weeks ago we were down in Lake Forest and just happened to see a "Coming Soon--Cafe Rio" sign haning on a site under construction. Dave and I practically screamed with joy. We should meet up there when it opens.

p.s. Do you remember who introduced you to Cafe Rio in the first place? That would be me...