Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Cabbagey Happiness

Well, it's that time again! CABBAGE SOUP TIME!!! (That is, now that it's finally cooler than 85 degrees here... nevermind the fact that we actually made the cabbage soup on a day that was about 90 degrees.)

My mom has a phenomenal recipe for cabbage soup that I love love LOVE to make in the fall. I know what you're thinking: "Cabbage soup? Ew, Jean. Barf." And even if you're not thinking that, you may be thinking, "Cabbage soup? Why would I make cabbage soup when I can make corn chowder or chili or chicken noodle soup, or any other type of soup that is already proven?"

Well, I'll tell you why -- IT IS SO GOOD!!! Sure, it's full of cabbage, but the combination of the ham, butter, and chicken bouillon makes it so savory and delicious. Plus, using a whole head of cabbage (which the recipe calls for) makes enough soup for plenty of leftovers. So, I highly recommend it, especially with a good loaf of crusty bread. (I like Trader Joe's par-baked filone or baguette, which gives you the added pleasure of getting to practice your kung-fu while the soup is simmering):



So, here's the recipe! My mom has various names for this soup, but I think she likes to call it "Tight Times Cabbage Soup," since it's so inexpensive to make. (The only thing that costs any real money is the ham, if you consider $3-$4 to be "real money.")

Peggy's Tight Times Cabbage Soup

4 Tbsp butter
6 cups finely shredded cabbage (about a head)
2 cups shredded onion (about one large onion)
6 cups water
3 chicken bouillon cubes
1/2 lb. ham, diced
1 can lima beans, pureed in blender
1/2 cup raw rice
Salt and pepper to taste

In a big soup pot, saute cabbage and onion in butter until coated and limp. Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, then cover and simmer about 20 minutes until rice is tender. Serve with crusty bread for dipping.

(FYI, and my mom would kill me for saying this, but those lima beans are entirely optional. I exclude them, because they gross me out. But if you're a member of the lima bean fan club, then by all means, toss 'em in!)

ENJOY!!!

14 comments:

daMawma said...

Oh happy, happy day! I find myself immortalized in a blog for healthy, aromatic, homemade soup. But the title also pays homage to the wonderful children's picture book TIGHT TIMES by author Barbara Shook Hazen and illustrator Trina Schart Hyman (check amazon.com or half.com).

megan said...

loveee that picture of you!!

and that soup sounds sooooo sooooo soooo good!!
adding it to my recipes!!! thanks for sharing!

Liz Johnson said...

I would totally make this (sans lima beans, BARF). Also, way to DARE to keep kids off drugs via cabbage and baguettes - I think this is the strategy that will finally do it!

Headle said...

Cabbage is a huge staple in Asia so I had it all the time on my mission...I actually came to really like it. The picture of the soup looks mighty tasty to me..especially with the bread...mmmmm

Ninja Jean is fierce!

Emily said...

no way! i seriously was going to get online today and find a good recipe for cabbage! THANK YOU JEAN! We will be trying this soon!

Wendi said...

Yum!! I am looking forward to trying this out. I was just thinking to myself, "Self, you need more good soup recipes for the coming horribly cold winter. Preferably cheap." Thank you, thank you! And by the way, you look FIERCE!!

Lesley said...

Ooo! This sounds so yummy! The AC has been off for a whole week and I am READY for fall!

Dana Carlin said...

I couldn't stop thinking about the scene in Willy Wonka when Charlie complains about having cabbage water for dinner all the time :)
But this recipe looks really yummy!

Lisa said...

YUM! I want some. It's snowing buckets over here--I think I deserve some :)

And I LOVE that picture of you. Your lack of vanity amuses me :)

Abbie said...

Ew was exactly my thought, but now I think I might need to pick up a head of cabbage soup tomorrow. You've sold me.

Ps I LOVE that picture!

James Cramer said...

Hey Jean, that sounds really good, I'm glad you like mom's soup so much :^) I would recommend adding some cayenne red pepper too for some kick.

Emily said...

Jean,
my sis in law just sent me a text saying she saw the new cafe rio on el toro in Lake Forest! I checked the website and it looks like there is one opening in Costa Mesa (closer to me!) and Manhattan Beach (not sure how close this is to you but maybe closer?) yumm!

Lalee Photography said...

My grandmother used to make some sort of cabbage soup with an Italian name. I can attest to it being soooo good!! Thanks for sharing the recipe! I think I'm gonna try it!!

kung-fu Jean is hilarious!!! I LOVE it!!

daMawma said...

Watch out, wild child. Don't skip the limas. Lima bean puree is great! You can't taste it (you won't know it's there), it adds fiber, and it thickens the otherwise watery broth. So THERE, missy.