Thursday, October 8, 2009

Lovin' the Farmer's Market

I was never particularly interested in farmer's markets until I moved to Southern California. Then I discovered that they're actually REALLY fun. Plus, they're all over the place around here, and many times, they're a pretty big to-do. (One exception: the sad, scrawny little farmer's market that opened several months ago, just about two blocks from our house on a vacant lot. Despite my excitement, it did not last long.)

Our favorite, by far, is the Monrovia Farmer's Market (Fridays from 5-9 PM). Monrovia is a charming town that is about a 15-minute drive from us, and every Friday night, the main street (Myrtle Avenue) is blocked off to make room for the produce stands, craft/retail tables, and food booths that comprise the farmer's market. Here's a recap of one of our recent visits!

This is looking north on Myrtle Avenue, with the San Gabriel Mountains in the background:
Weston is a pretty good farmer's market trooper, as long as we keep him loaded up on snacks and free fruit samples:
"Tim, take a picture of me looking at the peaches." (That's how pictures of me usually come to fruition.)
One of the vendors at the Monrovia Farmer's Market is Dolce Monachelli's, which makes these scrumptious, moist bundt cakes and then sells them online and at farmer's markets all over the area. The little ones are $3.00 each, or 4 for $10.00. SOOOOO GOOD!!! (If you're not interested, you MUST at least try their samples!):
At the top of the street, there's a small "family festival area" with a petting zoo, pony rides, and inflatable bouncy structures. We never "pony up" for anything (HAHA), but Weston does enjoy watching the animals from his stroller.
Interestingly, one of the highlights of the farmer's market isn't even part of the market, per se. It's an amazing toy store called Twinkle Twinkle Little Store, which is located along the street:
We ALWAYS stop in there, and Weston is usually content to stay for a half hour or longer. Twinkle Twinkle Little Store is a beautiful shop with lots of higher-end toys (like Plan and Melissa & Doug), and with LOTS of display tables and things that he can actually play with. I love it. I LOVE THIS STORE:
There's even a wee piano:
And a big corner of awesome food/kitchen toys:
Sigh. I love that store. Anyway, that evening we stopped at the Jake's Roadhouse booth for some grub. They grill and barbecue the meat right out front, so it smells SO mouth-wateringly GOOD there:
I ask him for ONE nice picture, and... well, you know what happens:
After we ate, we checked out the live band for a little while:
And JUST as we were about to leave, we spotted this stand:
Holy apple, Batman:
And did we get one? (Is our name Anderson?):
(I've decided that that's how I'll take my apples from now on. Drenched in chocolate, caramel, marshmallow, and nuts until they're twice their original size.)

Finally, it was time to say goodbye to the farmer's market! We were treated to a lovely sunset from the freeway:

15 comments:

La La Land said...

Ooooo...I love Farmer's Markets and the Monrovia Farmer's Market does not disappoint!

Oh, and could you please send me one of those apples!?!

dana said...

Oh, the monrovia street fair! LOVE that place! Those candy apples look amazing. I never found that stand! And what a cute kids store. I'll have to watch for that....if we're ever in the area again :).
fun Friday night!

Lisa said...

Can I have one of those bundt cakes? I might murder a cousin for one of those right now.

I've actually never been to a farmer's market. The only one I know about around here (and let's be fair, I haven't really LOOKED), is on Sundays. I might have to try looking for a non-Sunday one. But only if I get bundt cakes.

lyndsey said...

daaaang. those apples are SERIOUS. mutant-sized even. send me one too and laura and i can split the shipping cost :)

Liz Johnson said...

Um, are you kidding me?! I NEED ONE OF THOSE APPLES NOW. NOW I TELL YOU. I WILL GLADLY KILL FOR IT. And now poor Chris will be sent all over town until he can find a caramel/chocolate/marshmallow/nut covered apple that will suffice for my craving.

This is reminding me that they sell RIDICULOUSLY delicious pretzels and donuts at our farmer's market. Aaaand now I have plans Saturday morning. Gracias.

Headle said...

Oh, what a fun tour of the farmer's market! You make an awesome tour guide Jean...so cheerful and informative! :D

Great, now I'm also a suffering blog follower...I'm not sure I'll EVER be happy again until I have one of those apples!!! {pout, pout}

Lesley said...

I love me a good farmers market. And that looked like a GOOD one.

Emily said...

those caramel apples look SO good! We used to love getting similar ones at the rocky mountain chocolate place in Provo. You've inspired me to go to the farmers market, there is a great one just down the street form us but I just haven't made it there. Weston is so cute, did he get a haircut?

Lalee Photography said...

Andrea makes those apples every halloween and they are soooo good! I must remind her to do it again. This is SUCH a better farmers market than the one near us that just has tables of broken toys and lamps. :-)

ps. Weston is still so cute!!

pps. I love your top!

sachia said...

Maybe I need to head there tonight!!!

Abbie said...

tiny piano + tiny boy = cutest things i've ever seen.

that farmer's market looks amazing! wow! that has been my favorite part about our 'hood, going every thursday. three cheers for farmer's markets!

B Brown said...

Natalie and I used to do a booth there for Suburban Martini (1 of the boutiques the Max & Magnolia gear is in). I miss it and was just thinking about it today. Max loves that Twinkle store as well. The problem is getting him out.

daMawma said...

I do love "traveling" with you on your shopping excursions. There is always something to surprise and delight me. I know Weston loves adventures. How about Tim?

Unknown said...

I love the Monrovia farmers' market. We lived in Monrovia for two years and it's is hands down what I miss most from Monrovia (that and my students). :) Thanks for following Babes in Disneyland! I LOVED your entry!

James Cramer said...

Dear Jean and Tim, ya farmers markets rule! The food is the least expensive and it's one of the few times that you get a chance to talk to the people who grew the food you're going to eat.