Saturday, December 5, 2009

Thanksgiving with Chris and Modern Warfare 2

I think I'm (once again) the last one to write my blog post about a holiday. Why? Because I took a bamillion pictures, and, as usual, I'm including about half of them (which is called a "hababamillion," FYI).

Anyway, this Thanksgiving was extra-special for us because Tim and Weston and I were DELIGHTED to have Tim's brother Chris drive down from BYU to join us for the festivities. The last time that Weston saw Chris was this past June, when we went to PA for a couple weeks. I think Weston vaguely remembered interacting with him then, but after showing him the infamous Ham in a Tree video a number of times, and excitedly talking about Uncle Chris's visit over and over again, he knew that something wonderful was about to happen. And sure enough, Weston absolutely FELL IN LOVE with his Uncle "Fiss." He was CONSTANTLY following him around and screeching his name and trying to play with him (poor Chris, hahaha - and he thought he was in for a vacation!). Fortunately, Chris was a total sport and spent lots of time doting on the little guy, talking to him, carrying him, making him laugh, and all around being a fantastic uncle. And it was heaven for me and Tim over those four days that Weston had a new person of obsession, haha.

I'm calling this blog post "Thanksgiving with Chris and Modern Warfare 2," because the arrival of Chris to our home happened to nearly coincide with the arrival of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 to our home. (It's this new video game. I don't know.) So, almost every time that Weston was napping, and almost every evening, you could find Modern Warfare 2 on our television, along with a couple of yelling/cheering/moaning/occasionally zombie-ish young men on our couch. I decided to document some of these instances; it typically looked like this:
Or like that:
Sometimes like this:
And even like that:
When I wasn't staring at the two goofballs on the couch, I was generally staring at this:
So, while they played video games, I took pictures of myself looking bored:
Editor's Note: Reason #1 why I am a Huge Hypocrite: I complain about video games sometimes, even though with a husband working in the video game industry, I realize that they are our bread & butter and that they will eventually (if all goes well) send our children to college. Therefore, I actually love video games, and I am 100% FOR their proliferation. Reason #2 why I am a Huge Hypocrite: on at least two nights of Chris's visit, I joined the fun for a few rousing, explosive rounds of Red Faction Guerrilla: Wrecking Crew (it's this mode where you just run around and blow stuff up). SO FUN.

Moving on...

Here is the massive collection of photos that you are now obligated to look at and comment about (gotcha!!). Enjoy!

Here is photographic evidence of Weston's obsession with Chris (i.e. the constant following):
When Chris sat in the backseat with Weston, it was non-stop giggles:
The Wednesday before Thanksgiving, Tim and I decided to drive down to Anaheim and show Chris some of the Disney magic that we love. So, we wandered around Downtown Disney for awhile. (I have SO MANY pictures of Downtown Disney, you guys... it just happens that we always come here with people!) We played at the Lego store: Brothers... what can you say:
We checked out the giant Christmas tree at the beautiful Grand Californian Hotel:

(I just accidentally deleted this picture... imagine a giant Christmas tree, k?)

And Weston got to sit in his Weston-sized chairs in the hotel lobby: Then it was on to the Rainforest Cafe for a fun belated-birthday dinner for Chris (and for a China Island Chicken Salad for Jean... I LOVE IT LOOOOOOOVE IT). Hooray! And then the next day was Thanksgiving! That morning, our massive turkey got his annual morning mayo massage:
Later that day, with the heavenly aroma of a sizzling, roasting turkey in the air, I assembled the dishes and started the sides. I'd like to call this picture, "Mama's Ready for a Bigger Kitchen":
Oooohhhh that heavenly bird:
Tim did the "Dad Thing" and carved...:
...while Chris consoled (haha):
Because we have a miniscule kitchen, we decided to just arrange all the food in there, and then actually eat in the living room. I had to take a picture of the spread ("Look, Maw, I dun cooked a Thanksgivin' supper!"):
And here was the actual dining table in the living room (which, we neglected to realize, is also miniscule):
Chris and Tim proudly displayed their turkey legs! (And yes, the TV is on. We wanted to listen to Christmas music, so Tim ended up plugging his USB into the XBox, which meant that the TV had to be turned on to play the music. Don't worry, we weren't watching television during our Thanksgiving dinner. We aren't THAT white trash.) :-)
Weston displayed his typical camera face when I snapped a picture of his little Thanksgiving tray:
And here I am, actually making an effort to look nice and normal in a picture:
Black Friday was, as per tradition, kicked off with some light early-bird shopping. (PEOPLE ARE CRAZY.) The rest of the day was kind of lazy until the evening, when we took Chris out to Santa Monica. Of course we stopped at Sprinkles along the way. (Chris wanted to try one of those gourmet cupcakes that I'm always raving about on my blog, and I was more than happy to oblige.)
We waited in line:
Other patrons were happily tucking in:
South Santa Monica Boulevard was relatively quiet that evening (aside from Sprinkles, of course):
Weston was VERY excited for "cuh-cake":
Finally we made it inside!! I don't have any pictures of the actual cupcake consumption, but let me just say that Chris was not disappointed. And let me also say that Weston ate a WHOLE cupcake. I realized that if I keep giving him Sprinkles and Dots, it won't be long before Betty Crocker and Duncan Hines simply do not suffice. :-)
I just had to take a picture of this cuteness on the way back to our car:
We had such a hard time trying to find a place to park near the Santa Monica Pier, and eventually we realized it was because of a Cirque du Soleil show that was in town (and blocking most of our regular parking lot). They had a ginormous tent that was flapping and slapping in the wind:
Finally we made it to the (freezing, windy, COLD) pier:
I tried to take a slo-mo picture of the waves (not very well, obviously, haha):
Chris gave an enthusiastic thumbs-up at the entrance to the amusements:
And Weston got pummeled by the high winds:
"Hey, Chris, let me take a bunch of pictures of you with Weston so that your girlfriend can see that you'll make a great father figure!":
Hahaha!
While Chris was entertaining Weston, Tim and I even had a moment to take a picture of ourselves... together!!
It was a lovely (freezing, windy, COLD) evening:
Then on Saturday, we headed to Hollywood! We visited the Kodak Theater:
The men posed gallantly in front of the theater's steps:
I had to take a picture of all the crazy costumed people in front of the theater (here we've got a couple of Jack Sparrows, a Snow White, and a Marilyn Monroe):
And here we've got Spider-Man (complete with a fanny pack, of course) and the Hulk:
Did you know that the Munchkins had a star? I did not know that the Munchkins had a star:
Chris strikes the "cool, blase lean" in front of Grauman's Chinese Theater:
Grauman's Chinese Theater is where you find all the celebrity handprints and footprints:
"I HAVE THE SAME SIZE HAND AS JUDY GARLAND!!!! AHHHH!!!!"
Rather than touching Steven Spielberg's handprint, Tim decided to one-up me by tasting it instead:
This picture cost me $1. (You're supposed to tip the crazy costumed people when you take their picture, and of course Weston found the giant happy Snoopy to be appealing, so he wandered over to him and forced my hand.)
Later that day we took Chris to the Americana in Glendale to explore the holiday decorations and watch a fountain show (every half hour!). It is so pretty at Christmastime!!
I love the layout, the landscaping, and the pedestrian-friendly design of that place:
Check out the mega-Christmas tree:
We were thrilled to meet up with our pals Kate and Jacob, too, and of course BOTH pictures that I took of them turned out blurry. (Sorry quakers!) Here's the slightly less blurry picture (haha):
Naturally we visited the bubble gun lady, too:
And we took in all the lovely lights:
And we spent a LOT of time watching the fountain:
Afterwards, we all went to In-N-Out, and then we had to bid adieu first to Kate and Jacob, and then to Chris the next morning. Chris, seriously, THANK YOU SO MUCH for visiting and for being so wonderful to Weston. It was an awesome time. You are such a great uncle and brother. I can vouch that we are very excited to see Uncle Fiss again at Christmas!!! (And sorry again that the bottom of your loaf of pumpkin bread was missing a big chunk.) :-)
Although tradition dictates that we set up our Christmas tree on the day after Thanksgiving, we ended up putting it off until Sunday night so that we'd have more time to go out on the town with Chris. But on Sunday, we busted out all the goods!! Weston loved the Christmas lights:
Seriously, he really loved them:
LOVED THEM:
Tim got everything set up, and then "we" started decorating the tree:
And by "we," I mean me:
However, Weston did seem to enjoy putting all the candy canes in one small spot on the tree, so Tim and I had to intervene occasionally to spread them out:
Weston also seemed to think that all the ornaments were little toys, which is why we had to postpone the tree decorating until after he'd gone to bed (thanks to a couple ornament-related tantrums). He was most thrilled to discover a Buzz Lightyear ornament that we'd gotten a couple years ago:
Of course Buzz had to meet Woody:
Eventually, everything was done (although we skipped the glass balls this year!). And voila! (FYI, those two dark shapes at the bottom of the photograph are a couple of homeless, scavenging snowpeople, who we took pity on and allowed to live beneath our tree.)

Hope your Thanksgiving weekend was fantastic!! Lots o' love!

16 comments:

Liz Johnson said...

Um, I'm sorry, I was thoroughly enjoying this post and then you referred to CHRIS' GIRLFRIEND!? EXCUSE ME!? Does this mean my sister is potentially out of luck? I mean, I generally tell my sisters to live by the "just 'cause there's a goalie doesn't mean you can't score" philosophy (unless they're married - GAME OVER), but geez, Jean. What a way to break it to me.

FINE. We already have a Chris in the family! Pssh.

Liz Johnson said...

OK, just finished. Lovely post! Weston is adorable! Glad your (previously spoken for) brother-in-law could visit!

Deidra said...

I'm married to an Uncle Chris (though he's a "Tiss") and I think it just comes with the name. They're the favorite.

The Hartwell family has been known to watch TV during Christmas/ Thanksgiving dinner. Glad to have my feelings on that situation validated. :)

Anne Marie said...

What a great time you all had! I can't wait until you are all here for Christmas! Only downside is that the womenfolk are outnumbered 9 to 3 and I am afraid there will be a whole lot of video gaming. . . See you in 9 days!!

Lisa said...

I love it! I want to visit you guys--I want to do all of that stuff you guys did! Especially because I've never had a gourmet cupcake. Lame. Oh, and they shut down the Rainforest Cafe in Denver, and I miss it. And, Weston is so cute. And so BIG. Wow, when did he become a little boy??? And I'm jealous of all of his words :)

Nat said...

Oh Jean. I'm a little conflicted right now. Happy- because this was an amazing post with tons of cute Weston pictures and your Thanksgiving food looked delish!
Sad- because I freakin miss Pasadena!!
On a side note, you are too cute. I also didn't know the Munchkins had a star. And that Spiderman wears a fanny pack.

Mags said...

Hey! I just found you guys on Shelley Cannon's blog-i went to college with her. How do you know them? Love your pictures! Weston is so cute!! A little mini-me Tim. And Chris is like, a MAN now. What's up with that? I'm old. Glad to see you're doing well. Keep in touch!

Headle said...

Jean!!! You are SO CUTE!! Not only are you a fantastic writer but you are so creative with the fun places you go and the fun things you do!

What a great visit with Chris. It looks like you all had sooo much fun!

Abbie said...

Oh my, Jean, I laugh so so hard when I read your posts (maybe I've said that before?).

I am so impressed with your meal! Look at you! Amazing! Can I come next year? And, once again, I feel like I was there with you - blogger of the year!!

lyndsey said...

wow. post overload. i just have WAY too many comments to make here...give me a sec.

1. chris looks like an upstanding young fellow. sorry again that we couldn't help him out w/ the ride -- glad you made it to CA, kid! if i see him around provo i'll be sure to honk.

2. the males in my family spent the majority of t-giving break playing call of duty 2 also. *sigh* boys.

3. way to go on cooking dinner! and mayo on a turkey?? sounds weird.

4. WE were in BH on black friday too! sad, should have met up for a cupcake. and that photo of the two anderson men w/ weston is adorable...but you WERE pretty close to west hollywood so maybe it wasn't that cute. i'm just sayin..... [yes on 8! :) ]

ok that is all. sorry for the massive rambling. :)

dietcokegrrl said...

I always enjoy the super long Jean posts!

Here are my random thoughts.

* I love Chris's Dr. Suess shirt! I MUST have one!!

* Nice job on the Thanksgiving spread--you made all the required Thanksgiving food. But I'm with Lyndsey...mayo on turkey? Hmmmmm. Never heard of that before--is that a PA thing? :)

* Weston looks like such a big boy eating his turkey dinner

* I love all the sightseeing stuff you guys did--FUN!! And yes, who knew Spidey had a fanny pack?

* Exciting you guys have your tree up already. We always do it the Friday after Christmas, but with Sam's crazy work schedule, we STILL haven't gotten our tree yet.

Ok--that's all. YAY for a long Jean post!!

Chris said...

Wow, great coverage on the week! Thank you so much for having me over and doing a WHOLE lot for me that whole week! I definitely miss my little buddy. I also miss Weston! The only thing I don't quite understand is this: How did you manage to get a snapshot of Call of Duty in which TIM was winning? I'm sure he had something to do with the decision to post that particular picture!

P.S. Liz, I do, in fact, have a girlfriend, and she is one heck of a goalie!

Lesley said...

Wow! That is a post to beat all posts!

I am SO impressed with your Thanksgiving skills. What a delicious-looking spread! And don't you love having all those leftovers? Yay!

I love that Uncle Fiss was such a hit with Weston! Uncles are the best! And you guys sure know how to entertain a guest!

daMawma said...

"Look, Maw, I dun cooked a Thanksgivin' supper!"

Yep, and yew dunn gud, Baby Daw. But yew fergot ta burn dem rolls...it's tradition!

Lalee Photography said...

Awww! What a great time! And Chris is such a good uncle (good thinking taking the photos for his gf - girls love that sort of thing). I'm totally impressed with your turkey cookin'! Oh and I love the slow-mo wave photo! Go Jean!!!

Liz Johnson said...

Chris... pssh. You haven't met my sister, so... game on.