Saturday, January 9, 2010

PA Holidays #1: Lancaster County

Well, we're back. Again. From Pennsylvania. Whoo!!

As usual, our visit was awesome, featuring wholesome family fun, gift-giving and getting, Beatles Rock Band at night, day-trips to nearby attractions, cows, cold COLD weather, fantastic friends, that fabulous Philly accent, hoagies, soft pretzels, Asher's chocolate, and Tastykakes. :-) It was everything that a PA visit should be, especially the opportunities that we had to see Gigi (Tim's grandmom) one more time before her passing. We love our Gigi.

I've decided that instead of spending seven hours at the computer, reviewing and organizing and compiling my bamillion photos into one ridiculously gargantuan blog post, I'm going to publish several mini-posts that highlight some of the activities that we enjoyed while we were gone. Starting with... Lancaster!!!

Tim and I took Weston out to Pennsylvania Dutch Country one afternoon for some sightseeing and shopping and eating. After trucking up the turnpike for awhile, we came to this lovely sight:
As you can see, Weston was beyond thrilled:
Our first stop was the Shady Maple Farm Market, which is technically a supermarket, but in a beyond-awesome kind of way. In my opinion, it is the best supermarket that I have ever experienced in my life. I could spend hours just wandering their massive produce section, bulk section, and bakery section, not to mention the rest of the store. Oh, it is heavenly. We picked up some sticky buns, shoofly pies, and whoopie pies to share with the family, along with a new stash of PA Dutch egg noodles for my private stores. :-)

Then it was off to the Shady Maple Smorgasbord, which was PACKED, but which is fortunately large enough to accommodate a small city-state of hungry diners. Like I said, my poison is the buttered egg noodles, which are plentiful and deeeeelicious:
I did not expect Weston to become as obsessed with those buttered noodles as I am, but yes... he did:
It became a full-handed effort to smush them into his mouth:
Got 'em all? Yes.
He really appreciated all the pictures that I was taking during his mealtime:
(We all got to experience that scowly little face many times during our trip! We have come to love it.)

Next, it was off to Rockvale Outlets!! Shockingly, we looked but did not buy. It was cold. And Weston was tired. And despite forgetting every other time, we actually remembered that our suitcases MUST be 50 pounds or less on our return flight. We are learning. :-)

We were on our way back to Lansdale when I was hit by a sudden urge to visit Strasburg Railroad. By the time we arrived, it was mostly deserted (because for some reason, it closes at 3:30 PM in the winter?!), but we were able to peek longingly into the gift shop windows with their big "CLOSED" signs. Haha! Don't worry, it was actually really nice to walk around the trains and take pictures:




Tim happened to notice that the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania across the street was still open, so we braced ourselves against the freezing wind and ventured over there:
We did not even need to buy admission to the museum because, guess what... the gift shop was open, and it had a train table. Yes, a TRAIN TABLE.
Train table + Weston = JOOOOOOOY!!!!!
Naturally, we haunted the train table corner of the gift shop for quite a while, and ultimately decided to spring for a Thomas engine for Weston (best. present. ever), in order to express our gratitude for the playtime:
And that was our afternoon in Lancaster County! FYI, Jesus Christ works out of Lancaster. We passed His office:
So, now you know that if you're ever in dire need of the guidance, help, and/or comfort that only Christ can provide, you know where to find Him (at least during office hours).
More PA Holidays posts to come...!

11 comments:

Headle said...

I absolutely adore each and every one of your posts but I must say, I LOVE your vacation posts!!!

You always help us feel like we were there with you! Your detailed descriptions, clever commentary and your awesome pics are always so much fun! You have a real talent for storytelling. Not to mention your CUTE little Weston, oh that scowl is great! FUN trip!! I can't wait for the future installments :)

Kristen said...

I love Lancaster! What a beautiful place! I've never tried to delicious buttered noodles. We might just have to go on a road trip!

Lisa said...

lol I love your posts. I have to go to PA to find Christ?? Dang.

I love Weston's faces. He reminds me so much of Jonathan. Except that Jonathan would've been a pain in the butt during anything but the train table part ;) I'm excited to see the rest!

Abbie said...

"at least during office hours." hahaha! You kill me!

I'm so excited for all you posts! And I love all the pictures! So beautiful. We really want to go to Lancaster county sometime, but when it warms up. Thanks for maping out our trip!

And I will second the delicious-ness of Asher's chocolates and soft pretzels! YUM!!!

PS love that cute little face, even when it scowls.

Liz Johnson said...

AAAAAHHHH I LOVE IT. Have I ever asked you if you've been to Plain N Fancy? If so, what was your answer? Oh, sweet Pennsylvania, how I love you!

Weston is adorable and his scowl is BEYOND ENDEARING. I LOVE IT! He may scowl at me anytime. :)

James Cramer said...

Hey Jean, I'm so glad you three had a chance to go down to Lancaster County, I really like it down there. Remember Dutch Wonderland and the upside-down turning house? Good times, ttyl.

hilary w said...

What a great day trip! It sounds like you had fun. I love the picture of Weston sitting in the car seat with the sun streaming in on him. What an adorable little boy!

daMawma said...

I am guessing that Weston's insulated coat was a special purchase just for PA winter vacations. It WAS cold here! And he surely loves the Thomas engine.

lyndsey said...

omg i cannot even get over how big weston is! he is like a real live child. haha. glad you're home!

B Brown said...

Yippee! Another mom who can feel my "Thomas Pain"! Those trains are addictive for kids & freakin' expensive. However I can attest that if you splurge for the wood ones they will last a lifetime. Max got addicted on a visit to my sisters and her 17 old son still has his in great condition.

sachia said...

Jean the storyteller. That is really a true gift, you are a total crack up. Grab your belly, laugh and hit the knee f-u-n-n-y.

I guess I better go out to PA and taking that meeting with the Lord. I can imagine he already knows I'm coming so maybe I don't need to call for an appointment?