Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Ice Cream, More Ice Cream, and (Yep) Still More Ice Cream

Well, we all know that Weston likes ice cream. So, now the question remains: do Jean and Tim also like ice cream? I think that we can answer that question with an emphatic, crazed, eardrum-shattering "YES!!!!!!!!!"

So, when my Houston friend Lauren told me that one of the highlights of living in the South is Blue Bell ice cream, I not only became very excited (and very grateful for the inside tip), but I also started to try to figure out how I could out-Blue Bell her, being the great and appreciative friend that I am. And I feel confident in saying that I have succeeded. Here's why:

STEP ONE:
Eat some Blue Bell ice cream.

I guess you have to start somewhere, and for me that somewhere was the Walmart freezer case where I picked up a pint of Butter Crunch and a pint of Moo-llennium Crunch.
Alright, Lauren was right... it is pretty darn good ice cream.

STEP TWO:
Visit a Blue Bell factory.

Who'duh guessed it, but there's a Blue Bell factory right here in Tulsa!! (Well, technically it's in Broken Arrow, which is the next town over, but for a former L.A. girl, that's basically around the corner.)

The factory tour only cost $2.00 (Weston was free), and it included a free scoop of ice cream at the end. So, I made a reservation and got a little group together to head to the headquarters of creamy frozen deliciousness:
Here's our tour guide lady, along with Kira and Faith on the left. (Folks in Tulsa are going to learn very quickly, as my other friends have, that I like to put pictures of people on my blog all the time without asking their permission.):
Sorry!! No cameras allowed in the factory! But here's the scene in the Country Store afterwards, where we flocked for our ice cream:


Here are Kira and Faith again with their kiddos. Don't Oklahoma people just look so nice? Truth be told, they're more Utah people than Oklahoma people, but still... this area is not a tough place to make friends, because everyone's so darn friendly.

Even though I upped the ante by visiting an actual Blue Bell factory, I still decided to do one better with...

STEP THREE:
Attend a Blue Bell festival.

That's right... an ice cream festival!!! I've been to strawberry festivals, peach festivals, apple butter festivals, and even sorghum festivals, but never an ice cream festival. (I guess if you have enough money, you can host a festival for pretty much anything. Therefore, I'll just go ahead and announce right now that when I'm a billionaire, I'm going to have a Raisin Nut Bran festival.)

Moving right along... despite the hot, hot, hot weather, it was a fun festival. Admission was $10 for all three of us, and that included ALL-YOU-CAN-EAT ice cream:
... a big ol' kids' craft tent:
... shiny, snazzy cars (well, not for the taking, just for the looking):
... a fire truck (look how serious Weston looks... hahaha!):
... a big bouncy thing:
... and some more bouncy things:
... and even a giant-ice-cream-tub bouncy thing (where, sadly, several people froze to death in the ice cream before they shut it down):
Weston enjoyed his very first push pop! (FYI, parents, if your child's push pop starts to melt in the summer heat, don't bother trying to pour out the melted stuff and leave the frozen core. Because, incidentally, it just may happen that when you tilt the push pop, the entire contents spill out onto the ground, leaving you with muffled laughter, darting eyes, and a hurried "Okay, push pop is all gone!" announcement to your child.)
Ahh, here's my yummy cone. (However, if I could go back in time, I'd tell myself to skip the cone, because even though it was really good, it tasted like a regular Drumstick, and it took up precious stomach space that I could've saved for all the varieties of scoop ice cream.)
Aaaaand there's one of the scoop ice cream stations:
I tried the "banana pudding" ice cream. OOOOHHHHH!!!!! IT WAS GOOD!!!! It was smooth banana ice cream with whipped cream and vanilla wafers. Oh my yum. Sadly, I don't think they have that variety in pints, but fortunately, they have this one -- good old chocolate:
After some more wandering/chasing/shopping, with red faces, sweaty clothes, and full bellies, we said goodbye to the festival:
And finally, that brings us to the last step...

STEP FOUR:
Become the CEO of Blue Bell and use my gargantuan new income to build a house made out of ice cream, staffed by butlers and housekeepers also made out of ice cream, so that if I get hungry I can just call Cookie Dough to my office and then take a big bite out of his arm.

I'm still working on this one, but give me another few months, and it's in the bag.

(Thanks Lauren! Lovers of Blue Bell, unite!)

15 comments:

Ami said...

We have Blue Bell in Arizona and I LOVE it. I seriously can't eat any other brand without thinking about the deliciousness that is Blue bell.

daMawma said...

If that's an annual festival, mark me on the calendar to be there next year! I have never tasted Blue Bell ice cream, but after reading your blog, I am drooling all over the keyboard.

Liz Johnson said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I love it. I want to come next year, too. I LOVE summer festivals! Hooray for summer and ice cream and pushpops!

Lauren said...

HAHAHAHA!!! But thanks, way to out-do me. There's a factory here, but it's not open on the weekends and I haven't thought of going with friends. You're a smart one, Jean. I am oh, so jealous of the ice cream festival. And, I think you need to insert a step 1 1/2- try blue bell popsicles. Cookies 'n Cream. Mmmmmm!

Lalee Photography said...

Wow Jean! When you do something, you really do it right! haha :) I've never had this so called Blue Bell ice cream but now I must try it!! The banana kind sounds SOOOO delish!!

Abby said...

Mmmm...ice cream. Go you for organizing a visit to the factory! Talk about some cheap fun. Between that factory and the festival and visiting YOU, it's definite -- I need to come to Oklahoma. :D

Rebecca said...

Best way to spend $10 ever. Jealous!

Kira said...

It was fun seeing you at the festival for a minute. We didn't last much longer than you cause of that darn heat! Remind me to dart away from the camera when you pull it out. Hahaha!

Lisa said...

I am so so so so jealous. I may have to go eat some icecream now, even though I've already had two Snickers bars during this nap time.

I've still never had Blue Bell, but have heard its praises. But I've also never been to any part of the South. Need to try it sometime.

lyndsey said...

i am so so impressed with your exploring skills -- and THIS almost makes me want to move to tulsa myself. mmmm. a $2 tour with free ice cream at the end? sign me up!

James Cramer said...

Hey Jean and Tim,

Sounds like you three had an eventful week. We're having an all-you-can-eat ice cream festival in Philly on July 3rd, 4th, and 5th at Penn's Landing. How about you drive down and join us, we have good ice cream too and we won't tell Blue Bell, promise.

B Brown said...

I totally have a craving for pizza right now. Weird.

Anyway- What a fabulous way to spend little cash and have oodles of fun. $10 for all you can eat icecream for 3? Ridiculous. you'd never find that in LA.

Headle said...

Jean! Cute post!!! Ice cream + Summer + Tim + Jean + Weston = perfect day

I love Step Four...I laughed out loud at that one :)

faith said...

Looks like the ice cream festival was a lot of fun! The factory tour sure was. I must say, though, I like the 'planned' pictures better... :)
Glad you're having such a great time here!

gunnfam said...

Do they have the raspberry with chocolate cows flavor? Because if they do I'm packin the kuds up and we are coming to visit you...tomorrow!