Monday, July 5, 2010

A Few Random Nuggets

(Editor's Note: Follow this blog! ...over there ------->
If you do, I'll send you a hug with my mind grapes.)

(1) PJs

Weston likes his new Sheriff Woody pajamas, but I think that Tim and I LOVE THEM:
I just can't get enough of the cuteness.
What he says: "You my favorite destiny!" (Hahaha! It's supposed to be "deputy"...)
(2) Kaleidoscope

I've learned something from living here for the past month and a half: I cannot compare Tulsa to Los Angeles. (Or Philadelphia or D.C., for that matter, bless Tulsa's sweet little heart.) The aquarium is neat, but it's no Aquarium of the Pacific (or Monterey Bay Aquarium, heh heh). The zoo looks decent, but it's no San Diego Zoo. The cupcakes are tasty, but they're no Sprinkles/Dots. The nothing-Disney-here is no Disneyland. :-)

And recently I learned that the Kaleidoscope Children's Museum is no Pretend City. (You can pretty much tell just by comparing the websites.)

Okay, okay, I'm trying really hard not to sound bitter and condescending. I know, I get that way sometimes (haha!). :-) But when I learned that there was a children's museum here in Tulsa that had a mini kid's town with a little grocery store and cafe and other things, I became really, really excited, because of course it reminded me of Pretend City in Irvine, which is pretty much the most extraordinary children's play museum that I've ever seen. (I haven't been to Please Touch in Philly yet, but it also sounds fantastic.) Oh, and TIP: if you're in SoCal and you want to go to Pretend City, make sure that you lunch at Cafe Rio because it's like five minutes away.

Anyway, Kaleidoscope is... well, kind of a slapdash effort at a Pretend City-type concept. I had high hopes for it, and Weston still had a great time. After all, $6.00 per person (including free pizza) isn't a bad deal. However, it just made me learn that I kind of need to lower my expectations sometimes, especially after coming from a city that is home to some of the best attractions and museums in the world.

As you can see, it looks a teensy bit ghetto from the outside:
It has bright fluorescent lights everywhere, like in this big room with a slightly busted play structure that is adorned with a big plastic lion head:
There was indeed a mini town, but it was very limited (and the grocery store included a bunch of old food containers that were just taped back together):
There was an arts-and-crafts room, but no one to run it:
There was a performance stage, and I was happy to see a wide array of dress-up costumes, plus a REAL working microphone:
(Weston loved the microphone, by the way. Unfortunately, I eventually realized that he was putting his mouth directly on it, just like all the other children there. Hahaha! Flu, anyone?)
There was a crazy black-light room that gave me a headache:
Perhaps the best part was the mannequin heads at the "beauty salon":

Or maybe the best part was the Simpsons Movie poster randomly stuck on a wall:
Hahaha! Why...? So, it was not as nice, shiny, and thorough as Pretend City, but hey, at least there's a children's museum in Tulsa. I shouldn't complain, because beggars can't be choosers. And here's the moral of the story, like I mentioned before: Weston still had a super time. He loved the mini town area with all the play food, and for some reason, he loved the black-light room. And he loved gobbling up his free pizza. So, even though I poke fun, I think we'll be back. (How can I argue with that "smile"?)
(3) Balcony

It's nice having a balcony, even if it gets really hot here sometimes. I think it's never too hot to venture outside and just sit and stare on a balcony. Am I right? So, I took a few pictures of Tim and Weston doing just that:

This, by the way, is our apartment complex:
And here's our view (cool clouds, huh?):
(4) Medical Forms

Well, I saved the best nugget for last. We recently found a good dental practice here in Tulsa, and the new office mailed us medical forms to fill out in advance of our appointments. My appointment is tomorrow morning, so this very morning, I sat down and started filling out my form. The questions were typical -- what's your address, what's your insurance, what medical conditions have you had, do you have toothaches, etc.

Then, as I got down to the bottom of the sheet, I noticed something that I have never, EVER seen on a medical form before. It surprised me so much that I asked Tim to scan the form so that I could show it to all of you:

(Click on it)


Hahahaha! Oklahoma keeps surprising me. :-)

9 comments:

The Hyer Family said...

I LOVE your posts, and get so excited when I see an update in my reader--love the humor and honesty. Please keep them coming! And what the heck with the prayer question?!?

daMawma said...

Any museum or attraction that stimulates a child's sense of wonder is a great place to hang out. If only I could be in Tulsa to sit with Weston on that corn-on-the-cob seat. What a pleasure that would be!

Liz Johnson said...

AH!! I LOVE IT! Oh Bible Belt, you are too cool. And it took me a while (a long while), but I have grown to love the weird ghetto things about small-town living (like our PATHETIC zoo... with a dragonfly exhibit)... it just makes life funny, eh?

So did you put anything down? I would be like "millions and millions of dollars" or something. Or "for my weird foot fungus to go away." Hahahahahahahaha.

Weston's PJs are the BEE'S KNEES. LOVE THEM.

Lisa said...

You know how when people say "LOL" you doubt whether or not they're laughing out loud? Well, I was totally LOLing. That is too funny! It's like a different country down there! "Is there anything for which you would like us to pray?" WOW!

But anyways, I have a response for like everything.

First--mind grapes. I heart you. I assume you got that from where I know it from, and that's why I heart you.

Second--where on earth did you get those pajamas???? I need them, NEED THEM, for Jonathan. I almost peed my pants at the cuteness.

Third--ahh, the ghetto children's museum. Honestly, we don't really have a great children's museum here. I mean, Denver THINKS they have one, and it's big and it's supposed to be good, but we were way unimpressed when we went. To be fair, we went on a free day, so it was crazy full of kids, but I don't think I'd want to go regularly, especially for $8 a person. However, there is a ghetto one that's a little closer to me that I think I'm going to buy a season pass to. Sure, it smells a little funny, and it's small and ghetto (and I mean that in the run-down kind of way, because it's really in a fine neighborhood), but Jonathan LOVED it. And, since it was smaller, there would be more of a chance that I could be in one place (nursing a baby or something--gosh, can you believe I'm going to be doing that soon?) and watch him. So anyways... yeah. Those are my thoughts :)

Abbie said...

I do declare, you surely live in the bible belt. How many pro-life billboards do you see daily?

Do the pjs come in 4t? Cutest thing ever ever!!

Headle said...

Add me to the growing list of mamas hoping to get word on those pjs! I'm not sure I've ever seen cuter pjs! Weston looks ADORABLE!!! I love his quote too! He looks so grown up in the picture in the food room.

And, that medical form question was awesome, ha ha! I read it three times, I just couldn't believe it.

Your view off your balcony is beautiful! Wow, those clouds!!

gunnfam said...

Wowzers that question?! I guess I'm more interested in what you put for an answer! =)
I too suffer from LA comparison syndrome. What only one freeway to get to Salt Lake? No free Levitt Pavillion? sad sad.

Lalee Photography said...

I love those PJs!! I like that you're trying to be a positive Jean, but dude, those mannequin heads are creepy - very Wizard of Oz 2. Scary!

Did you write anything in the prayer question area??

B Brown said...

Please ask them to pray for your safe return to Pasadena.


oh, & please do not post more pics of Weston in his Woody PJ's. I can't stand how stinkin cute it is.