Saturday, July 10, 2010

Coooooookies

Tim says that I complain a lot on this blog. Hahaha! Do I complain a lot? If I do, it's always with a smile and a healthy dose of sarcasm, so don't take me too seriously.

But just in case it's been a little dark lately, I thought I'd take the opportunity to lighten the mood and write about something that's 100% fun, wonderful, and all-around scrumtrillescent:

COOOOOOOOKIES!!!!!!

I have a fantastically tasty and convenient recipe that I've been meaning to share for a while, which originally came to me from Bridget, a friend from the ol' Utah days. It only has five ingredients, and the main ingredient is cake mix, which is great since it's usually available for $1 or less at the store (yay!). I LOVE THIS RECIPE. The day that Bridget passed this recipe along to me, my quality of life increased 3 whole percentage points. It was a great day. :-)

So, here it is for all you fine folks! FYI, you can use pretty much any combination of cake mix and chips that you like. My favorite is Devil's Food cake mix + semisweet chocolate chips, but you can try German Chocolate or Spice cake mix, plus white chips, peanut butter chips, butterscotch chips (like I did below), etc.

BRIDGET'S SUPER YUMMY CAKE MIX COOKIES

1 box chocolate cake mix
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup butter (melted)
2 eggs
1/2 bag chocolate chips (1 cup)

Directions:

1. Mix all ingredients together.
2. Drop by spoonfuls onto cookie sheet.
3. Bake 7-9 minutes at 350 degrees. Do not overbake! Even if they look mushy, they will harden.

And then behold the deliciousness that you have single-handedly created:

Last step: DEVOUR.

P.S. Y'know what I like about that picture? How you can see the camera's reflection in the microwave. Yep, now you know my secret. My personal photographer goes by the name of My Left Hand. Haha! (He's planning on starting a business soon. Just an FYI.)

P.P.S. In completely unrelated news, I chopped my hair last week, as you can see. I love short cuts in the summer!

P.P.P.S. In more unrelated news, I have a growing toothache in my root canal tooth now, which is kind of making me actually look forward to this root canal. Nothing like a little change in perspective, huh? :-)

Anyway, happy cookie baking!!!

9 comments:

Lisa said...

I have never, in my whole life, thought you were negative about anything. Ever. So I wouldn't worry about complaining a lot.

And those cookies look de-LISH! I'll definitely have to try that recipe.

P.S. We totally bought Buzz Lightyear and Woody pajamas today. I couldn't resist! I'll have to photoshop our kids next to each other in their pajamas. That is, if I had photoshop or knew how to use it... :) They were seriously destined to be best friends, always a few states away.

The Swindlehurst's said...

I will have to make some of those cookies for sure! PS Im so glad to see that one of Kooper's Friends is as obsessed with buzz and woody as he is:) Maybe Im just assuming that he is a fan but anyway Kooper HAS to wear his woody jammys EVERY night!! ha ha since when do they think they get to make choices on their own??

Liz Johnson said...

Dude, I don't think you've ever been negative or complain-y or whiny in your entire life. I really am not seeing that whatsoever. In fact, could you teach me to "complain" with your positive attitude? I think the people around me would appreciate that.

I might go make those cookies RIGHT THIS VERY SECOND even though it's 5:13am. Why am I up at 5:13am? Because my kid woke me up 1.5 hours ago and I can't get back to sleep. And I think I might actually murder someone because of it. So those cookies might actually distract me long enough to not kill somebody. THANK YOU, JEAN ANDERSON, for saving somebody's life today!!

daMawma said...

We should make a movie titled MY LEFT HAND. Then theaters could show it as a double feature with MY LEFT FOOT.

Make a big ol' pot of "Tight Times Cabbage Soup" as comfort food to soothe that sensitive tooth. Then COOOOKIES for dessert.

B Brown said...

1) Bridget is now my favorite person. I just whipped up a batch of these w/reduced sugar chocolate cake mix & the irish oats from TJ's- heaven!

2) You are not a negative person.

3) I love the new short hairdo! Perfect for sumer fun.

4) I hate root canals. My tooth is still sore from a month ago. I refuse to go back & deposit more $ there.

6) We really miss the Anderson clan around here :(

Headle said...

Yay Bridget! I want to try these :)

I don't feel like you complain much at all. I always appreciate your willingness to share what's on your mind. In fact, what's so fantastic about the way you write is that you share the difficult things you are going through, and are so candid about how you are feeling that its easy to see how truly positive you are! You are great! I learn so much from you!

Your hair is so cute! I love it short :)

James Cramer said...

Hey Jean,

So your last bit or advice turned out well. I saw Toy Story 3 in 3D and it was great! So next I might try out your cookie recipe and see how that goes. Do you remember 'Peanut Butter Yummy' that I devised after taking home-economics class? I might try out modifications for the recipe, nothing outrageous I'm thinking I'll just add some crushed almonds.

Kendra said...

I don't think you're negative. I think you're hilarious! But maybe that's from one sarcastic person to another. :)

I have a similar recipe to that, but without oats. I'll have to try this one. I've gotten many of my best recipes from Bridget, so it wouldn't surprise me that it's amazing. :)

Bridget said...

Wow! I feel so honored! I actually remember the day I passed this recipe on to you, Jean :) Wish I had thought it up on my own, but my older sister gave me this recipe way back when. I still use it all the time! I'm so glad you like it so much!

Oh, and I've never gotten a negative vibe from you. Not in real life, not on this blog, not ever.