Tuesday, July 13, 2010

I Call This, "Venting with David"

I have something to get off my chest, and I realize that it borders on TMI. Sorry! Reader beware!! Haha! While this blog is great for writing about our family's little adventures, it's also nice for sharing thoughts and, yes, feelings sometimes, too. I'm sure many of you probably can't relate to this situation, but maybe some of you can. Anyway, I figured the best way to address this is by talking it out with my best friend and mentor, David Hasselhoff. So, here follows my recent conversation with Mr. Hasselhoff:

The Hoff: So, Jean, how’s life?

Jean: Pretty good, aside from one major stressor.

The Hoff: Oh yeah? What’s that?

Jean: Well, in a nutshell… STUDENT LOANS.

The Hoff: Go ahead. Tell The Hoff all about it.

Jean: Well, Tim had a fantastic and rewarding experience at Art Center. However, Art Center is really, really expensive, so of course we had to borrow money each year to help pay for tuition and living expenses.

The Hoff: Mm-hm.

Jean: We were fine with this; we knew how much we were borrowing, and we knew what the interest rate would be. We knew we’d have to repay the loans, and we knew when.

The Hoff: So WTF? (meaning, why the face?)

Jean: Well, for some reason, we didn’t realize until about a month ago that the amount of our student loan repayments is going to be GARGANTUAN. We always thought that we had the option of selecting an income-based repayment plan, meaning that our student loan repayments would be no more than 15% of our income (soon to be 10% for everyone, thanks to recent legislation). Unfortunately, it turns out that that ONLY works for federal loans, not private loans from commercial banks (which, for us, is the majority of our loans). Private lenders do not offer this repayment option – click HERE to read more about it. Therefore, it turns out that in our case, our student loans are going to end up comprising a significant percentage of our income.

The Hoff: Hmm. That must have been a harsh realization.

Jean: It was, David. It was. The Despair-O-Meter skyrocketed. For several days, I thought about this student loan situation constantly. I thought about it when I went to bed, and I thought about it when I woke up. It was like the combination of a 50-pound weight on my shoulders, a twisting ache in my stomach, and a storm cloud over my head… ALL the time. I saw my dreams of buying a house disappear. It was a sad time. I’ve learned that there are few greater joy-sucking burdens in life than debt.

The Hoff: Jean, I just want you to know that The Hoff feels your pain. And I have just the thing to make you feel better:

Jean: Thanks, David. I don’t know what to say.

The Hoff: I know… I know. I create feelings in others that they themselves don’t understand.

Jean: Anyway, the bottom line is, I need to work.

The Hoff: You mean at your old job? That real estate thing?

Jean: No. Unfortunately, “that real estate thing” has been really slow since the downturn in the second-home market a few years ago. My boss only rarely has work for me, but he contacts me when he can.

The Hoff: Gotcha. So, do you have another job, then?

Jean: Yes! I got hired as an Admissions Clerk at a local psychiatric hospital. I’ll just be working on Saturday and Sunday evenings, which is great because (at least for those shifts) Tim will be home to watch Weston, AND I can still attend church on Sunday mornings. And honestly, I’m pretty excited about it.

The Hoff: Tell me more.

Jean: It’s pretty similar to my former job as Office Manager at the clinical counseling center at BYU, which is probably how I landed the gig. However, this will be to a whole… nother… level. Basically, it was described to me as the “psychiatric ER,” where a wide variety of people show up. Some are friendly, some are violent. Some are there voluntarily, some are dragged by law enforcement. Some are completely high, or going through withdrawal. It will be interesting, to say the least.

The Hoff: Indeed. So, when do you start?

Jean: Really soon. I’ve already gone through lots of trainings, but I’m most looking forward to a two-day training later this week called MAB, or “Managing Aggressive Behavior.” Supposedly it involves lots of yelling and role-playing. Hehehe!

The Hoff: Well, that’s all good and great. Any lessons learned about this whole situation?

Jean: Yes, one in particular. I will never, EVER allow my children to take out private student loans for their education. I don't want them to have to start their lives with a burden like this. Fortunately, as long as President Obama’s student loan reform holds up, that’s now a moo point. In the legislation, the policy of allowing private lenders to make federally-subsidized student loans was discontinued. From now on, only the federal government will make student loans, which means that all loans henceforth will be subject to the federal government’s income-based repayment plans. (Hurrah!!) You can read that HERE. FYI, this was just instituted earlier this year, so fortunately, Tim and I got in JUST in the nick of time! (Haha... sob…)

The Hoff: Interesting. What about silver linings? Are there any of these here, Jean?

Jean: Of course! There are always silver linings! FIRST: it’s important for me to remember that we’re going through the worst of the situation RIGHT NOW. This is the time in our lives when Tim’s income is at its lowest point in his career, and our student loan payments are at their highest. Eventually, we’ll knock out some of the loans; eventually, Tim will earn more money; and maybe eventually, the real estate market will recover enough to give me some regular at-home work for “that real estate thing” job, which is a lot easier to do as a mom. SECOND: it’s always good to be reminded about the importance of budgeting, so I guess that’s a blessing in disguise. And THIRD: I’m really happy about my new job. It’s freaking hard to find a good job that works around a SAHM-type schedule, and for a while, it seemed like being a night cashier at Walmart was my only option. I was so, so happy when I got a call for an interview for this admissions job, and even hap-hap-happier when they offered me the position. I love psychology (I know nothing about it, but I love it), and I’m really excited that I’ll have such an interesting and challenging job.

The Hoff: Well, that’s all great. Want to see that picture of me again?

Jean: That’s okay. Thanks anyway.

The Hoff: Alright… but here’s the link to an awesome music video, just in case you want to check it out, too.

Jean: Thanks, David. I think I actually have to go now.

The Hoff: Really? Okay, well, it was a nice chat. Good luck with everything! And remember the music video!!

18 comments:

Bridget said...

I love "venting with David". It was very effective. And I'm sorry about the student loan stuff. That stinks! Ben just started graduate school and for the first time we'll have to take out loans (other than for our house) so I found this post very informative! Good luck with the new job! It should be interesting :)

Abby said...

Jean, you are amazing. "Venting with David". Perfect.

I'm SO sorry!! Ugh. Student loans....congratulations on finding a job though! In this economy! That works with being a SAHM! Hang in there! We miss, love you guys, and will be praying for you and thinking of you!! :D

Liz Johnson said...

Yes. Amen. I hate student loans. I am also grateful that private loans are no longer an option... those things are insane. And I love you bunches. Maybe if I choose to go crazy, I'll do it in Tulsa so that I can holler at you as they're dragging me to your loony bin. That'd be fun, eh? :)

Many e-hugs and e-cafe-rio-salads are being sent your way!

Lisa said...

Okay, that's the second Hoffster music video I've seen now, and seriously, what is WRONG with that guy?? I mean, he MUST be joking. He has to be. Right??? I mean, wow. The singing. The dancing. The blue screen images. Wow.

But, I do enjoy your venting with David. I'm so sorry that this has been so hard. Isn't it interesting how money problems just eat at you and eat at you? I totally knew what you meant when you said that you thought about it all. day. long. But I'm so glad that you got a job--one that I'm sure will spur some interesting blog posts soon--and one that will let Tim take care of Weston. We'll be praying that everything works out for you guys!!!

Kristen said...

I love your post! Student loans are scary! We are going to have to start paying on ours too!

La La Land said...

It is so hard to comment on what you said when all I can think about is that sexy photo of The Hoff! Okay, okay, focus... so sorry about the student loans. We definitely feel your pain. I'm glad you were able to find a job that lets you stay at home during the day with Weston. Good luck with the crazies! You'll have to give us tips from your training!

Lalee Photography said...

We are SO with you on the student loan front. Mikey's undergrad and grad kill us each month, but it definitely has taught us to budget! And one day we'll look back at how much fun we had scraping by and eating spagetti every night (at least that's what we tell ourselves to make us feel better...hehe). I'm so excited to read all the adventures of your new job! It sounds so exciting!! Also a little scary so be careful!

I also like that taking out private student loans in the future is a cow's opinion (moo point). Friends? Anyone?

Tiff said...

You are so lucky to have a friend like David who helps take your mind of your troubles by forcing you to focus on him....

Money woes. All I can say is @#$%$#@%$#@%$. I hate it. Who doesn't. And I especially hate it for you right now. :(

Love you lots.

chartie said...

Lauri, I laughed at the "moo" point, too. "It's like a cow's opinion. It doesn't mean anything." Thank you, Joey.

Jean, I hear you about student loans. We're paying off our own as well.

Though I must admit that I am a little bit leery about having ALL students loans go through the government. Because if they turn you down for a student loan, then you've got nowhere else to turn.

James Cramer said...

Hey Jean,

I know where you are comming from, and I'm glad that the Hoff was able to help out, ttyl.

Kendra said...

Jean, you are crazy! And hilarious too. Which often go together as you'll see in your new job. I used to work as a crisis worker for a mental health facility and had to go to the ER and evaluate whether or not people should be placed on the inpatient unit. Good times, and very funny/exciting/scary experiences. Enjoy!

Dana Carlin said...

i LOVE this post!! i think i might have to borrow the Hoff for an interview some time. i have the perfect picture to go with it.

i'm also really excited about your job, i know you're going to have some amazing stories. i bet that shift is the most *exciting*, too! people are way more crazy at night, especially on the weekends. (perhaps "crazy" is derogatory...)


finally, loans suck. i hope the stress will be lifted a bit when you start your kick-a job with the crazies. (ok, that time it was definitely derogatory.)

daMawma said...

A most effective use of visual aids. I was smiling through the whole diatribe. Problem, then Options, then Solution, and the "Jean Special"...Silver Linings. You're on the right track.

gunnfam said...

Oh Jean.....I wish we were closer so we could get together and cry! I felt the same way when Josh and I sat down to do our budget, I was depressed for the next 2 days. I'm looking for a job and have applied to a few. I'm glad you found one. Especially such an interesting one! Good Luck!!!

Abbie said...

Jean, I have to admit that I'm kind of jealous of you right now. Being close friends with the Hoff and getting his expert counsel is just really cool.

The job sounds like a BFB (big, fat blessing) and I'm 100% certain you are going to rock any aggressive behaving peeps' socks because you are the best! The top o' the top!

Stupid loans. Baaaaah (read as an frustrated noise, not a sheep noise). It sucks big time. It just seems that the beginning of real life is so full of these little life lessons that it isn't funny...well, until your life coach shows you a great music video, then we can giggle a bit.

Love you muchly and I still want to be just like you when I grow up.

Melissa said...

Love it!!! I need a life coach like this. You make me laugh. Congratulations on finding a good job and good luck on your new adventures there! I am sure you will let us know of some funny encounters! Love the video too!

laura said...

being a grownup is the pits. i'm glad you have the hoff to help you through. i'm selfishly looking forward to posts about your new job! i've been working full time this summer and trying to be grateful but i miss my little boogers. you're so lucky to find something on the weekends, when you'll probably see the most crazies! yes!

B Brown said...

I'm so glad Hoff could be there for you in this difficult time. Congrats on landing the perfect job.