Friday, May 20, 2011

Introducing...

Cole Willard Anderson!!

b. May 20, 2011, 1:38pm Mountain Time
Weight: 9lbs 5oz!
Length: 21"

(photos yet to come, don't worry)

I will let Jean fill you all in with details later (we got lots of pictures, thanks to doula/photographer Liz!), but it's late, and this dad is tuckered out. I'll give the very abbreviated version for now.

The induction began with the doctor breaking Jean's water, and ended about 5 hours later with a happy mommy, a proud papa, and a beautiful baby boy. The delivery went very very well, and Jean's recovery is going much more smoothly this time.

We lovingly nicknamed Cole "Sir Grunts-a-lot" because of his tendency to vocalize every exhalation, but we soon learned that could actually be an indication of ill health/infection (sometimes babies don't develop the symptom of infection-related fevers quite so early on-- or so it was explained to us). After some blood tests, they determined that he is showing signs of some sort of infection, and they ran another series of tests (one of which was a lumbar puncture, poor little guy) to determine where and to what degree he has an infection.

Unfortunately, it looks like the best case scenario is that he'll be in the hospital to receive the necessary treatment of antibiotics for about 7-10 days. If it is more severe, that could wind up being more like 20 days. We're glad that they caught the symptoms so soon, and we are optimistic that he will receive the proper treatment and help, but we're obviously sad that we won't get to bring him home right away. The whole situation is so new and is still currently developing, so we're not entirely sure how to react just yet. Please keep little Cole in your thoughts and prayers, and we hope to post some good news on here soon.

I'm sure Jean will address this in her more complete post later, but I want to take a second to thank Liz Johnson for all of her help during the labor and delivery portion. I think the word Jean used to describe her the most was "unflappable," and I will attest to the fact that she cannot be flapped. She was such a great help during labor, and she got some really great pictures that we would not have gotten otherwise. Her coaching and morale-boosting really helped things go smoothly, and I want to add my thanks to the gratitude that I know Jean will convey in her upcoming post.

By now, you're probably thinking that I have a warped concept of the term "abbreviated," so I'm going to wrap this up. We'll post updates as we get them, and again, we'd appreciate your thoughts and prayers as we figure out how to help our little Sir Grunts-a-lot.

12 comments:

josh said...

Glad the baby is here! Good work Tim and Jean. We'll definitely keep Cole and your whole family in our prayers. (cali)

Kristen said...

Congrats! Little Cole is has the same stats as Reuben did when he was born. :)

We will definitely keep Cole in our prayers.

Liz Johnson said...

OH NO!!!! This makes me so sad. I hope everything is figured out ASAP and that he makes a speedy recovery. I'll definitely keep you all in my prayers.

And it was my honor to be at Cole's birth. I still can't get over how amazing and special that was. Thank you, Tim & Jean, for letting me be there!!!!!!

Deidra said...

Glad he's here and prayers for a quickly getting better. I can't imagine all the poking and prodding. :-(

He's bigger at birth than Amelia will probably be at two months! Way to go, Jean!

The Hunt House said...

Big Boy! He will be in our prayers. Hope he gets well soon. Great job Jean! Wish I could help out w/ Weston.

Tiff said...

Congratulations & Prayers, all at the same time!

daMawma said...

Certainly not a great first day for the little guy. Does that mean he is 'grounded' and can't come out to play? Do you have to visit him in the Nursery now? I'm praying that the wisdom of the doctors will provide a speedy diagnosis and treatment plan for Cole.

daMawma said...

#30,018. So, the contest is over. Did any winner come forward at 30,000?

Lisa said...

Congratulations on sweet little Cole!! The Badals will be praying that everything goes smoothly. And hey, maybe a Respiratory Therapist praying is extra help :) Congrats again!!

Wendi said...

Congratulations! I love Cole's name! I hope he gets healthy soon so you can take him home. I'll be praying for you all.

Headle said...

Congratulations Anderson Family!!!

I hope Cole starts feeling better soon and Jean can get some much needed rest.

I'm so happy Liz was there!!! She is absolutely amazing!

dana said...

OH congrats! congrats!! We love the middle name :)