Thursday, May 8, 2008

First-Ever Anderson Family Vacation!

After nearly five years of marriage, Tim and I have kind of gotten into the habit of taking a fun vacation every summer. Last year, we went to Hawaii and Europe. That, by the way, was pre-baby (hahaha). This year, we decided to keep it a little simpler, and we headed north for a two-night, three-day stay in Cambria on the Central Coast. So, Weston braved the carseat, Tim and I braved Weston, and we actually all ended up having a great time!

Cambria is a lovely little town just north of San Luis Obispo, full of trees, fields, rocky shorelines, charming little boutiques, bistros, and fresh baked goods, along with plenty of 60- and 70-year-olds with gray hair, stone jewelry, and fanny packs. (Yes, we saw lots of this demographic, and apparently that's the group that's most attracted to the area.) Nevertheless, a couple of young'uns with a baby still managed to have fun -- we toured the famous Hearst Castle, viewed an elephant seal colony, shopped, dined, enjoyed the beach, and learned a lot about the curious Olallieberry. Overall, I give the vacation an A+, especially since we survived with a 10-week-old in tow. (Seriously, it's so nervewracking to try new things with a baby! But, the more we try, the more confident we become. ....Right? Sure. Whatever.)

We stayed at the Cambria Pines Lodge, which was a flowery, polished resort with gardens, fresh air, peace and quiet, and most importantly, a free breakfast buffet.
We sprung for a suite so that we could have some extra room for the baby. That red suede couch was heavenly. (Don't tell the lodge personnel, but it is now graced with a small amount of Weston's spit-up. Haha! Gross.)
The bedroom, with a neat little terrace overlooking the trees.
Cambria has a beachfront boardwalk, which made for a very scenic (and very windy) evening stroll. Thanks, kindly passerby, for taking our picture!!
Down on the beach with the wee one (a few minutes after his spit-up explosion down the front of my shirt).
The Central Coast. (Pleasant sigh.)
The lodge had flowers everywhere. (Man, that place is going to be swarmed by ladies on Mother's Day, lemme tell ya.)
I tried to take pretty flower pictures. Behold.
A guest house (yes, guest house) at the ol' Hearst place.
WR's "Neptune Pool." Sorry, did you say "over the top?" Nah, I think that Roman columns are perfectly common with swimming pools. :-P
The Casa Grande at the ol' Hearst place, with WR's 3,500-year-old Egyptian statue in the foreground.
The Elephant Seal Rookery. Yep, there were lots of them. They were cute and wiggly and blubbery and, well, rather stinky too!
Lounging by the water's edge. (I like the one on the right who's raising his hand. Yes? Do you have a question?)
Picnic lunch by the beach.
Okay, okay, I asked Tim to pose for this one. Ya got me! Isn't he dashing, though? Especially when he's so contemplative.
Our cute little Beach Baby Bundle!!
I LOVE those sunhats on babies. LOVE them. So cute. Does it get any cuter? No. It should be mandated that every baby in the whole world wear those cute little sunhats.
Pretty flowers by the beach. Lovely lovely!
The Rock 'n Roll Diner along the Pacific Coast Highway. This is just one of the ridiculously random establishments that one finds along the ol' 1 -- a '50s diner made out of two train cars. (Of course we had to stop and eat lunch here.)
Rockin' to the oldies!!

12 comments:

daMawma said...

Oh my, such gorgeous scenery! And I just melted when I saw that photo of the bedroom with a private terrace! Great choice for both you and baby.

Lalee Photography said...

I've actually heard of that town! What an awesome vacation! The seal raising his hand picture made me laugh out loud. hahaha. Oh silly seal. And can I just say that I completely agree with the baby sunhat mandate?? LOVE IT! Weston is getting sooo big! Tell him to stay little for Aunty Lauri. :-)

Lesley said...

How incredibly fun! It looks like the perfect trip. You got some great pictures (as always). What a beautiful time of year!

Wendi said...

What a great little vacation! Those pictures made me think, "Wouldn't it be nice to be an elephant seal for a day or two." Mainly so that I could just lay on the beach all day. Ahhhh.

hilary w said...

What a fun little vacation. I think that is great that you two are trying to have yearly vacations. I think it's totally healthy (and somewhat necessary) for your relationship! Sounds like you had a great time and I loved the pictures!

Headle said...

CUTE!! Thanks Jean, you just saved me some time planning a family vacation!! Those pictures made me feel like I was on one! :)

I really am SO proud of you guys for making the effort to get away and enjoy some family time together!! Gorgeous pictures! I love them all. Especially the one with Weston leaning over Tim's shoulder.

And I couldn't agree more about the SUN HATS!!! I feel the EXACT same way!!! Babies and beaches go HAND in HAND!!!

Tiff said...

Ok... so do people LIKE making me resent them for the fact their brand new little babies let them actually go out in public...?

J/K

I think it's AWESOME that Weston is meshing so well with the lifestyle you guys have. I'm just jealous. :)

Lisa said...

Okay, Jonathan needs a sunhat :)

Looks like so much fun! My dad has been wanting to go to the Hearst Castle for a while.

Rena said...

Did you know that Hearst Castle employees actually get to swim in the Neptune pool one day a year? I think it's Memorial Day or something like that when there aren't any tours. I know because I asked once when went a few years back. I actually tried to convince Dave that we needed to move there so I could work there giving tours and swim in the pool...he didn't go for it. Something about medical school being more important...whatever.

dana said...

I love this vacation! So much fun! And gorgeous pictures. Your lodge/hotel looks totally fabulous. I'm glad you guys took your first big trip together. It's good to get out and do stuff and brave the unknown baby stuff together :).
Fun times!

The Facks of Life said...

Makes me wanna go on vacation.
Although, I think Matt and I will try and take a pre-baby minus two kids trip alone this summer. Even better! Looks like you had fun!

megan said...

Awww, I honeymooned up that way and have wanted to go back ever since! sooo jealous!! I love the picture of the pool and the beach...makes me want to slip my swimming suit on! Too bad it won't fit and I look awful in the meantime! So fun Jean!