Wednesday, May 28, 2008

More Favorites and Not-So-Favorites

1. Not-so-favorite (Jean): Spending the joyous, three-day Memorial Day weekend sick at home, stuffy and icky, while coughing all night long (motivating the poor, exhausted husband to relocate to the couch), and witnessing the relentless reproducing of wadded-up Kleenex in every wastebasket. (And let me also give props to Tim and Weston, who endured the same illness but who are now, mysteriously, much healthier than I.)

2. Favorite (Jean): Going out on a REAL DATE to the Melting Pot on Friday night (just prior to the onset of aforementioned illness, thank goodness), and enjoying some REAL conversation and REAL quality time with the husband. We celebrated our five-year anniversary with a fabulous, four-course fondue dinner, of which the piece de resistance was the yin-yang chocolate fondue for dessert. Tim (how I adore you, my dear) got me a beautiful silver necklace and a dozen roses. I, on the other hand, got him a couple of his art-crush favorites: the movie Cloverfield (whose wicked-awesome monster was designed by Neville Page, with whom Tim will be taking a creature design class this fall at Art Center), and a forthcoming art book by Iain McCaig (who worked on Star Wars and a bunch of other films, and whom Tim looks forward to meeting at an upcoming conference). I also got him peanut M&Ms, of course. (Allison Sy-rie, I'm sure you understand.) :-)

3. Favorite (Jean): My new, stunning, tangerine-colored bridesmaid dress, which just arrived for my awesome friend Lauri's wedding in August. (This is Lauri of Lalee Photography fame, who will be marrying one of the sweetest guys on the planet.) I love getting all dolled up, and dolled up will we be, lemme tell ya! :-)

4. Favorite (Tim): His beloved new Xbox 360, which was recently purchased with the spoils of a freelance concept design project. He also purchased Halo 3 and a subscription to Xbox Live, so now I will occasionally come upon him in the living room, staring at the TV with rapt attention, and apparently talking out loud to no one. Hey, at least he's watching the young'un:
5. Favorite (Weston): Sucking on his hands. The newest development in Westonland is that Mr. Hand has finally met Mr. Mouth. He absolutely LOVES it when his hands make their way up there, and he can sit with a blank stare while focusing his entire attention on sucking away on his fingers. Here he is, going to town:



6. Favorite (Weston): Standing up. (Actually, I guess this is a favorite of mine and Tim's, too. I rather enjoy standing up.) Weston LOVES it when we hold him so he's standing - he can't balance yet, but he locks his knees, and he apparently adores being up high on those little legs. He gets this really proud look on his face, and sometimes he cries if we start to sit him down.

7. Not-so-favorite (Weston): Scratching his pristine little face with his terrible mini-claws (which require greater delicacy than brain surgery to ultimately trim with the nail clipper). Actually, he doesn't seem to care too much when he scratches himself, but Mommy sure does. (Can you see the scratches on the right side of his forehead below? So sad.)
8. Not-so-favorite (Weston): Sleeping with his head at a freakish angle. (At least I would think... he just goes on and sleeps.) Doesn't this appear a tad uncomfortable?

Oh, and Liz, does Weston qualify as "pasty death white" or just "pasty white"? I'm not quite sure... :-P

Last but not least...
9. Not-so-favorite (Jean): My crappy camera. Observe the two photos below:

With the flash:

Without the flash:
The "without" picture is actually how our apartment looks when the light is turned on. Using the flash highlights the immediate subject, but totally washes it out, and totally darkens everything else. Oy vey! What's a photoblogger to do?? :-)

9 comments:

The Hyer Family said...

Cutting finger nails never gets any more fun...my kids still hate it...cute pics...sorry you were so sick! And I hear you on the weird sleeping angles...I mean, can that be comfortable...I remember watching my kids totally doubled over in the infant seats, with their heads basically on their knees...but totally asleep...

Lisa said...

Jonathan LOVES sucking on his hand too--it's so adorable. But he's not too good at controlling his hands still, so then he gets all frustrated when it leaves before he wants it to. Oh well.

I know your flash- non-flash dilemma. Frustrating.

Lisa said...

P.S. Thank you so much for those adorable outfits for Jonathan!!! I was going to email you, but I couldn't figure out your email. :/ Thank you so much--how thoughtful of you!!!! AND they are SO CUTE. Can't wait to put him in them :)

Tiff said...

Yeah... getting sick for the first time after becoming a Mommy is a horrid realization. *sympathy hugs*

And the fingernail thing TRAUMATIZED me for the whole first year of Malia's life. The first 6 months, they were just so dang small! And the following 6 months, she was just so dang active! I clipped her thumb a few times.... I felt awful.

GET BETTER!!! :)

dietcokegrrl said...

So sorry you're STILL sick. Yuck!!
And I HATE cutting the nails too...definitely NOT a favorite.

Hope you feel better soon. At least you have that darling baby to look at to help make everything better. Those pictures are just too cute!!

chartie said...

I have known a couple of babies who have the same strange head tilt when they sleep, including Kim & Abe's little Madison when she was a baby. I think he'll turn out alright. :-)

Tim Anderson said...

Holy crap, you just have the cutest baby in the entire world. I think it helps that he's got a gorgeous mommy, but he's really quite a looker. I hope you feel better, and I totally hear you on the nail-cutting thing!

daMawma said...

Jean, the first order of business is to get well. After that, you can bring in a backhoe and clean out the accumulation of Kleenex wads off the bedroom floor. Hopefully they have not reached a depth of 12 inches! Loved your latest posting of Weston's ever-so-cute head shots.

Liz Johnson said...

I'm going with "pasty white." You guys are in SoCal... I can't imagine any of you qualifying for "pasty death white." Maybe in comparison to all the orange bodies out there, but come out to the midwest, and you'll look like a tanned goddess (and son).

I REALLY hope you get better soon! And you could just let West go for the Krueger look. Have you thought about that?