Sunday, February 8, 2009

I Lurve John Michael Higgins Even More Now

... because we met him yesterday evening! WOWEEWOWEEWOW!!!

Weston and I went to Art Center to pick up Tim after his class, and on our way home, we stopped at Brookside Park (next to the Rose Bowl) to let Weston play on the playground for a little while. And John Michael Higgins was there with his kids!!! At first I didn't notice who it was; I just saw a dad running around the smaller playground with his children. Then I glimpsed his face, and realized it was him. By that time, Tim and I were pushing Weston on a baby swing, and I kept trying to silently mouth to Tim, "Do you know who that is???", with a muted smile on my face.

Eventually, John (aka Wayne Jarvis) came over and started swinging his little boy in the other baby swing right next to us, and I blurted out, "We're really big fans, by the way. We love Kath & Kim, and all your Christopher Guest movies." (Okay, that was actually a little white lie. While both Tim and I do in fact love all of Christopher Guest's mockumentaries, Tim's not such a big fan of Kath & Kim. But I think it's really funny.)

Anyway, he's like, "Oh, thank you, thank you very much." And then we ended up chatting with him for over a half an hour!! He's really, really friendly, and very talkative. We chatted about Kath & Kim, and his films (he referred to Christopher Guest as "Chris" one time), and film budgets, and CG in films, and Tim's major (entertainment design), and Tim's career interests, and John's love of the stage (during which he said that theater is like "having a conversation with the audience," while film is more editing than acting, like giving a handful of tiny mosaic tiles to the editor and letting him pick out the ones he wants and then throwing the rest away). He actually said he doesn't really like films, which is funny, but that the money in theater just isn't enough. He asked us where we were from, and we chatted about that for awhile. (Apparently he knows a lot of Mormons in La Crescenta, which is a neighboring town. We had mentioned BYU, and I guess he put 2 and 2 together.) We also chatted about Weston and about his kids for awhile too. It was so random!!

By the end, it had gotten totally dark, and our kids were all running around together in the big field next to the playground (Weston getting some help from Mommy and Daddy). John's daughter was obsessed with Weston, and she kept giggling and following him around and hugging him. (She's 4 1/2, I think.) It was adorable. We eventually bid him adieu:

"It was really nice meeting you and chatting with you!"
"Thanks, you too, we'll probably meet again here sometime!"
"Yeah... take care! Good luck with the show!" (It remains to be seen whether Kath & Kim is going to be picked up for another season.)
"Thanks! Keep watching!"

So, that was great. I love that guy -- he seriously cracks me up. I've noticed that as I've gotten bolder with chatting with celebrities, I don't usually skirt around the celebrity issue. While we were pushing our kids on the swings, I told Weston that "this is a famous person," and John laughed and said, "Yeah, you get to see me in my glamorous life!" One of my favorite things about living around here is seeing celebrities, and my favorite thing about THAT is that most of them are living relatively normal lives, at least most of the time, when they're not in front of the cameras.

So, now I can add John Michael Higgins to my celebrity sightings list. And Chris Parnell also needs to be added, because we happened to see at OfficeMax a few months ago, examining an office chair very thoroughly. I did not approach him, as it turns out, because there were other people in the store, and there wasn't any music playing, so it was quiet and would've been very obvious and I would've felt like a fan-dork. :-) However, chatting for so long with John leads me to think that I've found the answer to my age-old question: Do celebrities like being approached/acknowledged, or do they NOT like being approached or acknowledged? He really seemed to like that we recognized him and knew a little about his work. After all, he hung out with us at the park for over 30 minutes, and during about 10 minutes of that, his son was just dangling motionless in his swing because John was apparently so engaged in the conversation (haha). What do you all think about this issue? Acknowledge or don't acknowledge??

15 comments:

daMawma said...

HaHa! Just don't quote that line from MISERY, "I'm your #1 fan!"

Lisa said...

I'm not cool enough to approach celebrities, but you guys definitely are (obviously). How cool!!! I love his character in Kath and Kim. John's not too into it either.

La La Land said...

I am SOOO jealous! I have loved him for so long (huge Christopher Guest fan here). Having met a lot of stars and worked at a 5* hotel where we would host them a lot I would say that the majority of them hate to be acknowledged. There are only a few that like it.

lyndsey said...

ha! awesome. i'm so glad you talked to him...look at that wonderful long conversation you'll always have to look back on :) i would say sure, acknowledge 'em -- obviously you are proof of how this works in your favor -- but in real life i never do. so who knows ;)

Jacob Sparks said...

You handled it well. The trick is to not act obsessed or super excited. Just approach it as you are a mature conniseur of film and really enjoy his work. Coming at it with respect rather than sprinting holding a paper plate with a pen and asking him to sign it and then take a awkward cell phone picture.

You want to engage in small talk and make it not just about them, but about other things in life we all experience. It was perfect that the kids where there to have something to relate too.

Imagine someone you dont know running up to you, soaked in sweat, crazy enraged eyes, " I love you, I love your face, can I have a piece of your sons hair"

any convo that's one sided is awkward. You did well jean, very well. I learned this skill from cooking shrimp kabobs with Pierce Brosnan at his beach house. Ohh yes I just name dropped.

;)

Liz Johnson said...

I LOVE HIM and pretty much all Christopher Guest movies. Although Kath & Kim? No thank you. I feel it is a waste of his supreme talent. But I'm not one to go up to them, although if I somehow became famous, and somebody were to recognize me randomly, I think it would be funny if they came up to me. Maybe the first few times. So yeah... I'm not an acknowledger.

danyelly said...

I wish I could have talked to him. Now I will hang out at Brookside more so that I can meet him. A few years ago Ben and I heard John and a group of friends sing some amazing arrangements of Alfred Burt christmas carols and I have been wanting to tell him how much we enjoyed it. I am probably too shy to talk to a celebrity if I see them, but my real problem is that I don't ever recognize them or remember their name.

Lalee Photography said...

OK, I am so not cool. I don't know who that is? haha, wow. I'm a loser. haha. :-)

I vote acknowledge! When are you ever going to get that chance again to say you talked to (insert celebrity here)?

B Brown said...

I absolutely love the "chris" guest movies. They ad lib like half those things.
I'm guessing a polite acknowledgment that isn't totally like an obsessed phsycho fan is ok. they are probably more freaked out about having to end a conversation with a freak then just say "thanks" and continue on with their day.

Emily said...

how COOL! once I saw Donny Osmond with his family at the catch basin in Provo, sledding. Well his fam was sledding and he was on his cell, but at least he was there doing normal dad stuff. I think this guy was lucky to have met YOU the amazing Jean Anderson! You are so fun to talk to Jean!

James Cramer said...

Hey everyone, first time blog here, I'm a newbie. I like John Michael Higgins's character on the show. It's funny how he's always dieting, but then every once and a while he will eat like an entire chacolate cake and then be remorseful about it the whole show.

As far as the celebrity thing I think that it depends on the situation. Not just the person, but the situation, because an actor may not mind or may like being approached sometimes, while othertimes they may feel standoffish (sic). So you should just try to guage the situation and if it won't bother them too much say 'hello' and see what happens.

- James Cramer

James Cramer said...

Check out my profile.

- James Cramer

Summer and Jon said...

Hey guys!

Totally random, but did you know Mary Rolph (& hubby & baby) are moving to Burbank by March 2nd to work for Disney?? Awesome!

Love you guys,
Summer

Abbie said...

That is pretty cool. Can we come to the park with you?

Headle said...

I have to admit I don't know who he is either, but he seems really cool!! I love it when celebrities are down to earth...(not that I really know any...he he he) but it's just cool that he talked to you so casually.

I also have to say how impressed I am that you know so many faces and names!!! I would probably walk by half of the Hollywood stars and not even recognize them. I'm such a dork with that stuff. I think you and Tim are DEFINITELY in the right place!!! You are both SO FUN and have those California Dreamin' personalities.